Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A train station for Croke Park?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭

There is proposal to demolish the flats by Croke Park and create an entrance plazea.

This is a welcome idea. Is it completely out of the question to suggest that a railway station for events could be here, or is this ridiculous? Is this line operational?

image.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

This came up before. The best practice now is to build stations in less convenient locations to prevent them getting too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well considering Drumcondra station is so close. It doesnt make sense to buy a new station for something that will be used on a Sunday for about half a year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ardmacha wrote: »
    This is a welcome idea. Is it completely out of the question to suggest that a railway station for events could be here, or is this ridiculous? Is this line operational?

Its operational - used for about 8 trains each way a day and still connected to the network - but is likely too close (as per n97's post there, you don't want them right beside stadia or other venues due to crush risks), and the line is in a cutting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

That's a load of nonsense about it being too close. Large stadia all over the world have platforms beside the stadium. A major opportunity was lost with this proposal.

Also CIE want to develop the lower canal line into a cycle path which is why they are demolishing its connectivity to the network constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

L1011 wrote: »
    Its operational - used for about 8 trains each way a day and still connected to the network - but is likely too close (as per n97's post there, you don't want them right beside stadia or other venues due to crush risks), and the line is in a cutting.

Only 8? Doesn't the Dublin-Maynooth commuter train use that line? I'd say that runs more than 8 times a day. Then there are the trains to Sligo/Longford.

I don't think that a station could be put there. It is a raised line. From an engineering point of view, it would be a lot harder to do, than having a ground level train station such as the one beside the Aviva at Landsdowne Rd. Landsdowne works as well as it does, as there is a tunnel running under it which means match and concert goers don't need to cross over the tracks, or use a bridge to get to the stadium. With a raised train line, a tunnel wouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Only 8? Doesn't the Dublin-Maynooth commuter train use that line? I'd say that runs more than 8 times a day. Then there are the trains to Sligo/Longford.
    Most of those trains use the train line at the Railway Rnd
    This is at the Canal End
    I don't think that a station could be put there. It is a raised line. From an engineering point of view, it would be a lot harder to do, than having a ground level train station such as the one beside the Aviva at Landsdowne Rd. Landsdowne works as well as it does, as there is a tunnel running under it which means match and concert goers don't need to cross over the tracks, or use a bridge to get to the stadium. With a raised train line, a tunnel wouldn't be possible.
    The railway at the canal is not raised, the railway at the railway end is the raiders one that crosses over Ballyboughal road and Drumcondra road to Drumcondra station

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, they go the other side, which as pointed out is the raised one. This one is in a cutting and runs under the Davin stand and only has the services to/from Docklands on it as normal passenger workings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    CIE want to develop the lower canal line into a cycle path which is why they are demolishing its connectivity to the network constantly.

you couldn't make it up. its the sort of moronic thing CIE would do.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, the station could serve the residents for the rest of the time. However, I think a station on the upper line would be more useful, as it connects better to Connolly.
    ClovenHoof wrote: »
    That's a load of nonsense about it being too close. Large stadia all over the world have platforms beside the stadium. A major opportunity was lost with this proposal.
    Would you like to name some, say how far is between station and stadium and describe how they operate in crowd situations, especially at the end of an event?

The Aviva has a station across the road, closer than that one would be to Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Victor wrote: »
    Of course, the station could serve the residents for the rest of the time. However, I think a station on the upper line would be more useful, as it connects better to Connolly.
    Would you like to name some, say how far is between station and stadium and describe how they operate in crowd situations, especially at the end of an event?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_United_Football_Ground_railway_station

http://www.stadiumguide.com/arena/

http://www.avivastadium.ie/getting-here

http://www.wembleystadium.com/TheStadium/StadiumGuide/DisabledAccess/GettingToWembley

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

n97 mini wrote: »
    The Aviva has a station across the road, closer than that one would be to Croke Park.

And they tend to close it when there is a match.

According to its website, you use it for Green ticket entry.

No the don't. They close GCD. Even says on their website that LR station can cope with the large crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭AngryLips

hfallada wrote: »
    Well considering Drumcondra station is so close. It doesnt make sense to buy a new station for something that will be used on a Sunday for about half a year.

I think Drumcondra and Summerhill are sufficiently far apart and distinctly of two different neighbourhoods as to warrant being served by two separate stations. Of course, a station on the upper line would work best and would increase in utility once Dart is extended out to Maynooth.

Victor wrote: »

You have thanked a post that is incorrect regarding the Aviva. I have outlined other stadiums that have rail connections. So how about comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A station there could at least be used for inter city services when events are on especially if the PPT is put to good use again.

Why bring people in only as far as Heuston when you can bring them right into the vicinity of the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is nobody going to mention how horrific it is to propose we demolish social housing to make way for an 'entrance plaza' while we are experiencing a housing crisis and many children are living in hotels eating ready meals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is nobody going to mention how horrific it is to propose we demolish social housing to make way for an 'entrance plaza' while we are experiencing a housing crisis and many children are living in hotels eating ready meals?

probably not, as that (potentially valid discussion) would really belong in another forum, not a transport one..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You have thanked a post that is incorrect regarding the Aviva. I have outlined other stadiums that have rail connections. So how about comment on that.
    Under proposed public transport improvements for Greater Manchester, the station would be closed and replaced with a new station a short distance away in White City, where regular services would stop.

So that's basically just like Drumcondra station, which is also closer to Croke Park than Wembley Park is to Wembley.

Is there something wrong with Drumcondra station for servicing Croke Park (apart from, I imagine, not a huge amount of services but a new train station won't fix that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Firstly this is a zombie thread, and some people are replying to posts from 18 months ago, but secondly that location can only be served by trains from the Sligo line.

You'd need a scissors crossover at Glasnevin Junction for trains from Heuston to serve it and that (along with the associated signalling) would not be cheap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

lxflyer wrote: »
    Firstly this is a zombie thread, and some people are replying to posts from 18 months ago,

On that note

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

monument wrote: »
    On that note

By user request I'm opening this up to discussion again. I'm border line with the zombie thread closing but then again there's already good examples of why zombie posts should be closed (ie responding to two year old threads as if they were posted yesterday).

We'll see how this goes, if it does not work, it'll be locked again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Lansdowne road works very well for match days, very efficient and safe.
    GCD closes for about an hour after the match as per Gardai instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Is there something wrong with Drumcondra station for servicing Croke Park (apart from, I imagine, not a huge amount of services but a new train station won't fix that).

Well the entrance to Drumcondra station is small and pokey with a lack of gates, they really should get rid of the wee shop and remodel the station to handle larger crowds.
    GCD closes for about an hour after the match as per Gardai instructions.

Out of interest, will this still be the case when the new turnback platform becomes operational at GCD? With GCD closed I assume trains would be able to terminate there, or will improvements to the station mean it will remain open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Drumcondra isn't fit for purpose on match day. It stopped there the morning of the league finals and thank God everyone was calm and didn't start pushing because it was a nightmare trying to get out. Almost the entire sligo train which was packed got off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Jayop wrote:
    Drumcondra isn't fit for purpose on match day. It stopped there the morning of the league finals and thank God everyone was calm and didn't start pushing because it was a nightmare trying to get out. Almost the entire sligo train which was packed got off there.

The bigger problem would be segregating maynooth line from Kildare line passengers on match and concert days. Could you imagine trying to get on a maynooth line train and a bunch of Kildare line passengers blocking your access. Not to mention crowd numbers on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A far, far better idea is to put Glasnevin Junction back the way it was so that trains coming from Heuston can access the line either side of Croke Park. This would then enable another station to be built under the opposite side of the stadium. It's a win, win idea all round as you are solving the capacity can space issues all at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

thomasj wrote: »
    The bigger problem would be segregating maynooth line from Kildare line passengers on match and concert days. Could you imagine trying to get on a maynooth line train and a bunch of Kildare line passengers blocking your access. Not to mention crowd numbers on the platform.

I'm a bogger so I don't really know the relevance of any of that or how busy a train from a certain place would be generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Could someone put up a map showing the current lines in relation to CP and where the drumcondra station is as its difficult to work out what some people are saying? cheers

Advertisement