Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didnt know that. Have they moved production facility then or just using extra space in Cooley temporarily?

No, they never had their own production facility at all until recently (in fact it may not even be open yet). There were only 3 distilleries in Ireland from the late 80s until about five years ago!

Pretty much every bottle currently on sale of every brand that isn't Bushmills or an Irish Distillers brand is made at Cooley but there are exceptions even within the same brand sometimes. There's some stuff made at Kilbeggan around but not sure what else.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    The Irishman single malts are from Bushmills.

And there's one of those exceptions :o

Point, rather diminished, still stands - the current stocks aren't made in Carlow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

L1011 wrote: »
    No, they never had their own production facility at all until recently (in fact it may not even be open yet). There were only 3 distilleries in Ireland from the late 80s until about five years ago!!

They had their first spirit run over Easter so nearly ready to begin production of their own spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Had a glass of Teelings Single Malt last night in the newly opened T O'Brennan's

with a small drop of water I found it a lovely smooth drink with a nice scent and flavour

I was in London yesterday, grabbed a bottle of Tyrconnell Single Malt in the airport for £18.99 (think it retails for about €38) having tried it earlier in the week. Just opened it this evening and think its lovely, really nice and smooth. I prefer it to the Teelings Single Malt, so may be worth a look if youre looking for another Irish single malt! Havent had the Irishman yet tho

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Treated myself to a dram or two last night

Green Spot Chateau Léoville Barton, I see in April's edition of whiskey magazine this has won best pot still. I'll have to check if it was only up against pot stills released in 2015. Nice to see the win but I would have given the nod to powers three swans release and redbreast sherry cask limited edition would have edged in there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

limnam wrote: »
    Treated myself to a dram or two last night

Green Spot Chateau Léoville Barton, I see in April's edition of whiskey magazine this has one best pot still. I'll have to check if it was only up against pot stills released in 2015. Nice to see the win but I would have given the nod to powers three swans release and redbreast sherry cask limited edition would have edged in there also.

I have a bottle of greenspot CLB & of RedBreast mano a lamh. Both are outstanding but If i had to pick one it would be the greenspot CLB.

The redbreast is a total cherry monster and quite Moorish to a point after which it starts to feel a little heavy. I could drink the CLB all night, if i could afford to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Opened up a bottle of Powers 3 swallows at the weekend . Incredibly smooth and crisp. Was on special in O'Briens for 40€ and fantastic value for the price .

Will be down in Midleton over the weekend and may just have to pick up another bottle .

Also will be nice to see if there is anything new at the distillery .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I picked up a bottle of Bowmore Black Rock a while ago, took a little taste, didn't like it, put it on the shelf and forgot about it.

I decided to give it another try and am turned back onto it.

Best sipped without any water I think, smoke and toffee the two dominant flavours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've just reminded me that I've a long opened (12+ months at least) bottle of Bowmore 15 shoved in the back of the cupboard. I don't like leaving stuff open that long so I think it'll be making an appearance this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

I was up in Enniskillen last week and grabbed a bottle of Connemara single malt. £24 in Asda. Lovely stuff. Smooth and smokey.
    They had a number of bottles of redbreast. £40. I shall be purchasing on my return.
    Happy days.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You've just reminded me that I've a long opened (12+ months at least) bottle of Bowmore 15 shoved in the back of the cupboard. I don't like leaving stuff open that long so I think it'll be making an appearance this weekend!

If it survived 15 years in the barrel it'll survive a year in the press!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Bottle of Jim Beam...not fancy but I'm happy :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Jack Daniel's Silver select mm mmm mmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Cardhu 12 year old speyside for me. Picked it up on the Costa for €24. I was in the duty free in Malaga earlier - It's whisk(e)y heaven there. I had already bought some Hendricks and a Torres 10 year old brandy, so had enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

smurf492 wrote:
    Bottle of Jim Beam...not fancy but I'm happy :-D

Thinking if polishing off the green spot

shanel23 wrote: »
    Opened up a bottle of Powers 3 swallows at the weekend . Incredibly smooth and crisp. Was on special in O'Briens for 40€ and fantastic value for the price .

Will be down in Midleton over the weekend and may just have to pick up another bottle .

Also will be nice to see if there is anything new at the distillery .

Got a bottle of this myself a week or so back and completely agree. Had had a measure out in town before, but its lovely, very smooth and lovely flavour from it. Goes superbly with Black Barrel I think, another favourite of mine

Noticed tonight that Dunnes have started to sell Wild Turkey for 33 euro...pity its a school night:-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

couple of drams of Redbreast 21 for the sons birthday

What a nose on this, I could sniff this for hours.

smurf492 wrote: »
    Noticed tonight that Dunnes have started to sell Wild Turkey for 33 euro...pity its a school night:-D

Tesco generally have it for €28

brinty wrote:
    Tesco generally have it for €28

Must keep a lookout, haven't seen it in my local tesco...

Lucky sod.... :D Have the 12 and 15 YO at home. The whole Redbreast range is super, but haven't been able to make up a good enough excuse to get the 21. Had a measure of it a few weeks ago in town and it was incredible, want to get a bottle soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

I finished my bottle a few weeks ago, it was a sad day !!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Unz88

Sorry bit of a novice here....best recommendations for a scottish whiskey? (I spelt it with an E cos that's the only way to spell it.....)

Unz88 wrote: »
    Sorry bit of a novice here....best recommendations for a scottish whiskey? (I spelt it with an E cos that's the only way to spell it.....)

Do you want a smokebomb, or something smooth - and whats your budget?

There is no single answer, or even close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Unz88 wrote: »

Depends. Do you like peated whiskey? Lagavulin 16 or ardbeg 10 are outstanding, some of the best you will ever taste, if you like peated .

For a sweeter maltier whiskey, my go to is arran 14. Some blends are great also, I like monkey shoulder when out in a bar if I want a scotch thst won't cost a fortune.

There are the standard glenfiddich, bells, famous grouse but they never floated my boat. Famous grouse in particular I found awful, something I will never drink again.

There is so much choice thst it's best to try a few in a bar, see what you like and go from there.

Unz88 wrote:

I was in same boat
    Was told try a speyside whiskey and work your way through the regions from that...
    So try a Cardhu 12 year old
    About 55 quid
    It's lovely and smooth to drinking

I'm going to move onto a few islay and lowlands next and see how they go..

Otherwise try the generics bells Grant's grouse or teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Anyone try the new Teelings 200 Fathoms offering?

A quick word of warning to people who get drunk in airports and buy whisky. The Laphroaig QA Cask is easily the worst offering i had from them. Avoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trond wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Teelings 200 Fathoms offering?
    I wasn't a fan. Seemed a bit sharper and hotter than standard Small Batch.

Trond wrote: »
    A quick word of warning to people who get drunk in airports and buy whisky. The Laphroaig QA Cask is easily the worst offering i had from them. Avoid.

I've been using it in cocktails or after having had a few already at this stage. The bottle of Black Grouse that I bought alongside it was more appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

I've been using it in cocktails or after having had a few already at this stage. The bottle of Black Grouse that I bought alongside it was more appreciated!

:D Glad you're getting some use out of it!!! Whats killing me is I originally had the PX Cask in my hand but swapped at the last minute :mad:

Next purchase will be another bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain. Its fantastic.

I told im getting a bottle of Penderyn as a pressie. Heard its pretty nice ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Had a try of Pappy van Winkels 15 year old bourbon recently.

Good lord, it's heavenly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement