Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ave temperature jump

Options
  • 17-05-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭

April averaged 6.2°c in Dublin Airport,and May so far is averaging 11.1°c,an increase of 4.9°c.
    If this continues will it be a record jump month on month for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

I wouldnt think so

Surely in the really cold Winters we saw bigger differentials but it would be interesting to know

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

vandriver wrote: »
    April averaged 6.2°c in Dublin Airport,and May so far is averaging 11.1°c,an increase of 4.9°c.

In Spring maybe but all-time record, no.

My highest jump (from negative to positive, not positive to negative since I call that a drop) for my station Grange is:

April 1989: 4.2c (my coldest April on record)
    May 1989: 12.1c

Increase: +7.9c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

vandriver wrote: »

Biggest month on month mean temp jump I can find for Dublin Apt is 5.3c from April to May 1970.

April mean temp that year: 7.1c
    May mean temp that year: 12.4c

From met.ie.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Interesing stuff guys, the recent heatwave in India seemed mental for the time of year are we getting close to an event when excessive heat is going make parts of our planet uninhabitable for certain times of the year for large populations of people and/or such whensuch heat is going to kill thousands in a sort space of time ie a few days. i think it is only after a series of events like this are we as a species going to take human influenced climate change more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Biggest month on month mean temp jump I can find for Dublin Apt is 5.3c from April to May 1970.

April mean temp that year: 7.1c
    May mean temp that year: 12.4c

From met.ie.

Where did you get stats from before 1985 on Met Éireann's site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Where did you get stats from before 1985 on Met Éireann's site?

Maybe not where Oneiric 3 got it, but can highly recommend "The Climate Of Dublin" - http://www.met.ie/publications/books.asp , data is a bit old now (published in 1983), but data set goes back a long way and has just about every stat imaginable for about every location in Dublin where people have measured the weather. Mine is a well read tome!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement