Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left of the Dial - Documentary on Late Night Indie radio shows [Sun@6pm]

Options
  • 12-05-2016 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Cathal Funge (TXFM) will be presenting a documentary on the station this Sunday at 6pm.
    It will be about the importance and influence of late night radio shows in Ireland during the 80s / 90s that showcased new alternative / indie music - like Fanning on 2FM and Donal Dineen on todayfm etc...

This will be the first hour or so, and then the next hour or so will be tracks that became synomous with such shows.

Should be a great listen for many of us who grew up in the pre-internet days that had to rely on late night radio shows to widen our musical tastes.

CiKlOR9WsAAFrsn.jpg

Got me thinking that today's young generation probably never listen to the radio proper and to have to wait to hear a song on a station is totally alien to them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

Must listen back to this when I get a chance.

I think it's still possible to discover stuff online through webradio, podcasts and blogs but it's not the same as tuning into an Irish station who would be playing a new release you were dying to hear.

Today's generation seem to discover music in a much different way to us, I feel really out of touch! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

steve_r wrote: »
    Must listen back to this when I get a chance.

I think it's still possible to discover stuff online through webradio, podcasts and blogs but it's not the same as tuning into an Irish station who would be playing a new release you were dying to hear.

Today's generation seem to discover music in a much different way to us, I feel really out of touch! :p

I still rely on radio or word of mouth to discover new music... or even support bands playing with artists I like.
    Still never got around to the whole 'online' way of discovering new music :o

I feel old!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Cathal Funge (TXFM) will be presenting a documentary on the station this Sunday at 6pm.
    It will be about the importance and influence of late night radio shows in Ireland during the 80s / 90s that showcased new alternative / indie music - like Fanning on 2FM and Donal Dineen on todayfm etc...

This will be the first hour or so, and then the next hour or so will be tracks that became synomous with such shows.

Should be a great listen for many of us who grew up in the pre-internet days that had to rely on late night radio shows to widen our musical tastes.

CiKlOR9WsAAFrsn.jpg

Got me thinking that today's young generation probably never listen to the radio proper and to have to wait to hear a song on a station is totally alien to them!
    How do you listen back to this programme? Is it on the internet, and if so where? Thanks.

Advertisement