Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Science Career Pathways

Options
  • 08-05-2016 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am currently doing an undergraduate Science degree in UCD.

I want to become a biomedical scientist and work in a hospital lab. I know that the best way in is to do the bachelors degree in Biomedical Science in DIT or Cork or Galway but I am just wondering if there are any other ways to be eligible to work in a hospital lab like a masters degree or conversion courses or special exams or anything? I am planning on specializing in physiology for my degree if this helps in any way.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

Hi,

I know nothing about this field but if you want to end up in a hospital lab, my advice would be to get some sort of experience in the area i.e a Summer placement or even a few weeks helping out in a hospital. Do you know anyone in the field that could help you? If not, is there any way you could get in contact with someone who might help you? If you dont ask you dont get.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dubguy2017

Unfortunately, to be able to work in a hospital lab in Ireland, the only way is to have a degree in Biomedical Science and be a member of the National Medical council (which u apply for post graduation). You also need a years internship post the 4 year degree in a registered hospital. So its a long road if that is what you want to do.

Would you consider pharmaceuticals or industry based lab work? That might be a better option for you and its better paid too. Biomed is not all its cracked up to be and is fast becoming automated by biomedical engineering. Its a very competitive and tough degree with a huge workload. Its the nearest course to Medicine out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I've seen a good few posts like this with people who have done science and wish you work in a hospital lab. I don't think many people know what a medical scientist is until they Google it. I think if more people were aware of the career to begin with there would be more people trying to pursue before its too late.

em9090 if you really want to work in a hospital lab, I know of a course through the University of Ulster called a Grad Cert in Biomedical Science.
    It is expensive. It's online and there is a year long placement, if you can find a hospital to take you on.

Good luck.

Advertisement