Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Sub 20 ? Go on go on go on go on

At least you won't get that in Albo :rolleyes:. I just had a mini-rant earlier (to himself, fell on deaf ears) about the fact that some people just don't get parkrun. Bet you a euro yer man has never volunteered either!

I was in the same position as that 11th place runner in Poppintree a while back, and missed when one of the volunteers told my victim to watch his back. Always vowed to say nothing if I was ever in the same situation! Your man was so disgusted it was funny, but in the spirit of parkrun I handed him his token with a sympathetic shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Murph_D wrote: »
    I was in the same position as that 11th place runner in Poppintree a while back, and missed when one of the volunteers told my victim to watch his back. Always vowed to say nothing if I was ever in the same situation! Your man was so disgusted it was funny, but in the spirit of parkrun I handed him his token with a sympathetic shrug.

I'd a stuck the token in him like he was a vending machine!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'd a stuck the token in him like he was a vending machine!

TbL

That is NOT in the spirit of parkrun!!!! :eek:

But tempting all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

annapr wrote: »
    That is NOT in the spirit of parkrun!!!! :eek:

But tempting all the same

There's always spare tokens D! Ungrateful a*se agree with G bet he hasn't ever volunteered either !!!

Should have dealt him one from the bottom of the deck!

• Advertisement

Mon 2 May

Recovery 8.18k @ 6:17 (5.1m @ 10:07).

A gentle canter with A around the local 5 mile loop. Cold and windy but we avoided the worst of the weather.

Tue 3 May

Gen Aerobic 8.21k @ 5:12 (5.1m @ 8:22).

Same as yesterday’s route, only in reverse, which feels more challenging and more uphill, somehow. Felt great on this, getting into a nice groove after the first 2k.

Wed 4 May

Trails recovery 5k @ 6:19 (3.1m @ 10:09).

We are on the Ards peninsula visiting friends and took the opportunity to visit the nearby Mount Stewart estate for a short run. The place wasn’t fully open yet and it took us a while to find the trails, but when we did it was well worth it, some very nice dirt, grass and bark mulch paths through woodland and meadows. They're good at recycling up here in the wee north: the bark mulch included bits of shredded 'beauty board'.

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 38 (24)
    YTD: 1,129 (702)

Thu 5 May

No running. Forgot my gear so no pilates either.

Fri 6 May

Gen Aerobic + strides 14k @ 5:37 (8.7m @ 9:03).

This felt as bad as Tues felt good. Sluggish and tired, although I woke up a bit during the strides. Leaden, like I just ran a marathon or something. :rolleyes:

Sat 7 May

Recovery 8.2k @ 5:29 (5.1m @ 8:49).

Off to St. Anne’s for some parkrun marshalling duty. A wet day but good turnout as usual. After coffee I did a lap of the course and home via the seafront. Much less sluggish feeling than last night. Passed two bodybuilders taking photos of each other opposite that “Bodyfirst” gym at the wooden bridge. Don’t know what those lads are on but their heads were nearly as wide as their shoulders.

WTD: 44k (27m)
    MTD: 60 (37)
    YTD: 1,151 (715)

Sun 8 May

MLR 17k @ 5:42 (10.6 @ 9:10).

Very pleasant outing to the Royal Canal in the Enfield environs with tang1, spaceylou, Younganne, martyboy, Singer, Adrian522, MuppetMan, davemcmahon, aero2k, Firedance, jake1970, and of course annapr. Good company on a terrific day. Felt a bit sluggish at first but very comfortable after a few miles. Great to meet a few more new and old faces. Lovely pancakes too at the Streetwise Cafe. Fair play to B for organising this.

WTD: 61k (38m)
    MTD: 77 (48)
    YTD: 1,168 (726)

Mon 9 May

Rest.

Have upgraded my Cork ambitions from half marathon to marathon, as the recovery has been pretty good over the past few weeks. Haven’t made this decision lightly, and will be prepared to downgrade back to the half closer to the day if necessary (and if they’ll let me).

Doing back-to-back marathons is not something I have any experience of, so it’s a step into the unknown. The original P&D training block went very well and I don’t think Boston took quite as much out of me as it might have, as I kind of gave up under the conditions.

This could of course be a big mistake but with two years of solid, injury-free training with fairly decent average mileage in that period I think I should be able to take it, whatever about the performance on the day.

Plus it’s a great marathon. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck with the upgrade D.

Lovely to meet you yesterday and put name & face together.

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of luck with the upgrade D.

Lovely to meet you yesterday and put name & face together.

Likewise, Anne. Great to finally meet my 2012 DCM mentor in the flesh!

wow D best of luck with the marathon .... I wonder who put that idea in your head !!! He would be doing it too only we go on hols that weekend :)

Actually it's all PaulieYifter's fault. He mentioned it first. ;) Plus it's never too late to reschedule the holidays, or relocate them to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

D, I hate to say this but I don't think you've thought this through or are treating it realistically or even thought about the consequences. Just think about it for a second......
    ......Why would anybody relocate their holiday to Cork?????? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

So you're finally out.

Great news. I think it's an excellent plan.

If you're concerned, don't think of it as another marathon, Think of it more like the relay, only you've to run all four legs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Actually it's all PaulieYifter's fault. He mentioned it first. ;) Plus it's never too late to reschedule the holidays, or relocate them to Cork.

4 times I've run Cork, 3 of them after an April marathon and 2 of those were Boston. You'll be fine for it - the bigger impact may be trying to train after for an autumn marathon but there's always San Seb end of November ;)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    D, I hate to say this but I don't think you've thought this through or are treating it realistically or even thought about the consequences. Just think about it for a second......
    ......Why would anybody relocate their holiday to Cork?????? :eek:

Love it Laura :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    wow D best of luck with the marathon .... I wonder who put that idea in your head !!! He would be doing it too only we go on hols that weekend :)

Smart planning, Mrs Mc!

4 times I've run Cork, 3 of them after an April marathon and 2 of those were Boston. You'll be fine for it - the bigger impact may be trying to train after for an autumn marathon but there's always San Seb end of November ;)

Ok, we need to ban you from this log!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    [/B]

Ok, we need to ban you from this log!!!! :)

A supporters paradise Anna no?! We could all go!

• Advertisement

Tue 10 May

GA + Speed 13.3k @ 5:15 (8.3m @ 8:26).

Out and back from DCU to Tolka Valley Park as far as Ashtown. Muggy afternoon. No watch, so ended up a little fast. Ten sets of strides on the way home.

Wed 11 May

MLR 19 @ 5:24 (11.8 @ 8:41).

Later than usual getting out. Up the canal to Phoenix Park from DCU. LR pace felt more challenging than it should, probably because last night was too fast. Picked it up in second half as per P&D instructions. 1,200k for the year so far, which is equal to full year's mileage in 2012.

WTD: 32k (20m)
    MTD: 110 (68)
    YTD: 1,200 (746)

Thu 12 May

Rest. Call from cardiologist to say good results from latest tests, which is good for peace of mind.

Fri 13 May

11.2k @ 5:16 (7 mi @ 8:28) inc. 21 mins @ LT.

Hadn't noticed the date before I went out, and despite yesterday's good news I wasn't up for this at all. Session was supposed to be 8k (5m) at LT pace of about 4:25 (7:06). Headed to St. Anne's with the idea of doing this over three laps of the parkrun course. Felt as tough as a race from the start and once I hit the first hill I started to fall behind. Just got worse over lap two and I bailed after less than 5k, having barely managed to hit MP. I don't often abandon a session so not going to get too depressed about it. Probably should have scaled back my ambitions for this anyway, if I'd thought about it a bit more. The P&D marathon 'rollover' plan is pretty tough if you've done the 55 mile original plan, as I did. Having said all that, I've struggled with LT stuff all year, ever since missing a couple of weeks around January. Definitely something to file away for future reference if things go t1ts up again in Cork.

WTD: 44k (27m)
    MTD: 121 (75)
    YTD: 1,212 (753)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Think that LT session defiantly one for company, Myles gave some advice on Mbar
    log about training for speed for 10k, which doesn't seem to involve killing yourself
    should take a look, will be having a go at it after cork myself to see where it takes
    me over summer. Good to hear heart in good order. Have you decided on target
    for Cork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hey D, is your LT pace correct? How is it calculated? Maybe aiming for too fast a time. Also with the weather a little hotter it may be worth scaling back a few seconds per km mile.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Think that LT session defiantly one for company, Myles gave some advice on Mbar
    log about training for speed for 10k, which doesn't seem to involve killing yourself
    should take a look, will be having a go at it after cork myself to see where it takes
    me over summer. Good to hear heart in good order. Have you decided on target
    for Cork.

Thanks G. Certainly would have been easier with company (or even on the track!) I'm hoping to still be able to target 3:20 in Cork.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hey D, is your LT pace correct? How is it calculated? Maybe aiming for too fast a time. Also with the weather a little hotter it may be worth scaling back a few seconds per km mile.

Most calculators have my LT at 4:18-4:21 (based on recent 5k PB) so I think 4:25 was already cutting me some slack. Was conscious of the heat being a factor alright. Probably should have opted for 4:30 and lit the aul cigar. ;)

Thanks G. Certainly would have been easier with company (or even on the track!) I'm hoping to still be able to target 3:20 in Cork.

Assumed you would have same target, I'm sure all going well on the day should
    be on, you seem to have recovered really well and settled back to training well,
    Will you taper little later than usual or does second one have same tapering, just
    courious how you would deal with back to back cycle.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Assumed you would have same target, I'm sure all going well on the day should
    be on, you seem to have recovered really well and settled back to training well,
    Will you taper little later than usual or does second one have same tapering, just
    courious how you would deal with back to back cycle.

I'm doing P&D back-to-back plan (8 week version modified to 7). Last 3 weeks are very similar to the regular marathon plan (although I am modifying a little to reduce mileage. Taper is the same - about two and half weeks. This week is really the first challenging week as it's all been recovery so far, so a little out of touch with the faster pace stuff. Hope it will somehow all come together at the right time. What are your Cork plans, G - down for the weekend? Will you be staying for a few scoops after the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'm doing P&D back-to-back plan (8 week version modified to 7). Last 3 weeks are very similar to the regular marathon plan (although I am modifying a little to reduce mileage. Taper is the same - about two and half weeks. This week is really the first challenging week as it's all been recovery so far, so a little out of touch with the faster pace stuff. Hope it will somehow all come together at the right time. What are your Cork plans, G - down for the weekend? Will you be staying for a few scoops after the race?

D when you scaled back the overall mileage did you scale back the intensity or just the mileage i.e. is the 5m LT session a scale back version or have you just being cutting back the GA runs and the easier stuff. The higher intensity runs are obviously going to be the ones that take more out of you so should be the ones that you reassess first IMHO.

Also based on your 10m PB P&D would suggest that your LT pace should be at least 7:09.....add the fact that you are on a multi-marathon cycle and it was warm I suggest you were always at risk of overcooking at the pace you were aiming at. So as you have already said no reason to waste any time worrying about it. Park it and move on.

Good news on the Heart front.........did you tell him about the cigars ;)

• Advertisement

Only down Sunday night heading back Monday, so won't be there Monday night.
    C has offered to drive, he said he was coming back Monday so if that is his plan
    I will probably get a lift from him. Not sure if he plans on getting out of dodge
    straight away will firm up nearer time. Will be interesting to see how you go in
    Cork.

Advertisement