Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sid Meier's Civilization VI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Interesting. But what else can they bring to the game. Civ6 with both expansions is a great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm conflicted: on the one hand, NEW CIVILISATION, WOO! On the other hand, bye-bye social life. It's a conundrum.

Interesting that they're reverting back to the ability to merge units onto a single tile. Very intrigued by the comment that 'cities now physically expand on the map'. Wonder how that'll affect gameplay.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Taking the queues from Beyond Earth so with regards to cities physically expanding. Stacking units, yea, I can see why anyone who's a veteran of the series would be glad to see that back (I only really threw myself whole heartedly into Civ with V having played a LOT of Civ Net on my first ever PC 20 years ago).

I'm not all that fussed to be honest, it'll take an expansion or two for it to mature and settle into it's position.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

i want the throne room from civ 2 back, Never could get the damn thing fully done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Oh crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Interesting. But what else can they bring to the game. Civ6 with both expansions is a great game.

In fairness, Civ IV with both Warlords and Beyond the Sword is a fantastic game. Close to, if not the equal of, Civ V + Gods and Kings and Brave New World. Every Civ games might take an expansion or two to hit their near perfect stride, but they usually do.

And even then there's always things we wish they would improve.

That's what the bring to the game.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Really looking forward to this, although 5 still all consumes me when i go back to it.

Be interesting to see what 6 brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I only picked up Brave New Worlds yesterday (it was reduced on Steam). This will be my first new Civ game as a fan of the franchise - I bought V about four years ago but my crappy PC wouldn't run it so I played, and fell in love with, IV and its expansions. V has never quite clicked with me as much but I'm playing it pretty frequently at the moment. I turned it on for ten turns last night and next thing I knew it was 12.30am.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with VI. I think having cities get bigger on the map makes total sense - London should take up much more space than Aberdeen. Not sure what to think of the return of having multiple units on the same tile. In the meantime I'll throw myself into Brave New Worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I only picked up Brave New Worlds yesterday (it was reduced on Steam).

Enjoying doing much googling of how Tourism works :P

Do you have Gods and Kings too?

Yeah it must have been bundled with Civ V when I bought it back in the day. 2012 maybe. That's the only version of Civ V I've played.

I'm actually Googling tourism now :) Aside from the odd successful trip to Alpha Centuri I always end up going to military domination no matter how much I try to be a benevolent leader.

• Advertisement

I only got my first ever culture/tourism victory the other day :D It's difficult, but it's all about rushing those archaeologists and getting Cathedrals in the early Religion wars so you can hang more early art.

I imagine you need to be careful about not over-expanding the civilisation as well? I just love starting new cities :(

I imagine you need to be careful about not over-expanding the civilisation as well? I just love starting new cities :(

Cultural victory is best with small to medium sized cvs, I find about 8 cities is a about as high as you should go, with about 3 favouring culture while the rest take rolls like troop building, commerce, science etc

Toursim is much harder to get a victory with than the previous (pre-Brave New World) culture victory was imho.

You really need to hit the renaissance fast and hope you kick it's a$$

If you get Uffizi and The Louvre, then you've got a good head start when you get their theme bonuses and the Aesthetics social policies multiplies those bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

now you are all making me want to play some civ5 again...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For me the problem with Culture is that it's desperately boring.

The key to making the game stay fresh is having stuff to do as you get to the latter stages.
    Either you need to be at war constantly, expanding constantly or both.

Culture gameplay basically stops at around 1500AD and then you're just waiting to see if you get some wonders and watching your influence meters trickle along.

It's not specific to culture but it's a function of playing with tall empires.

Generally Domination, Points, Science or Political (via earning more money and buying City States or destroying rivals for the position) all lean towards wide empires, although there are tall empire strategies that work for each of those, particularly with access to civ-specific advantages.

There needs to be something that mimics the strength of smaller empires throughout history that gives them enough advantages through emergent gameplay (rather than just huge bonuses for small empires like the Tradition culture branch) and gives you something to do once you've your core of cities established to really improve that side of the game IMO.

More concrete rewards for exploration (presumably around the early renaissance), like a new wave of goody huts in unexplored parts of the world, more interaction with other civs outside the diplomacy screen like building trade routes rather than pressing the establish trade route button, having more in-empire issues to deal with like putting down rebellions and such. Something to get you away from just mashing the end turn button for 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Huge, huge Civ fan - it's about the oldest game I've been into apart from Super Mario and Axelay (neither of which I have played in years and years), been playing it since the original when I was about 5 years old and called the most important technology in that version of the game 'Phisopholy'. :p

When I saw the news I just about came. Now I just need to wait until October so I can see and conquer!

(please don't be like Beyond Earth :( - never had high hopes for that one, though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I'll probably do what I always do in my wise old age - wait and see ;).

I'm curious as to what the machine requirements will be. Five was always shaky for me, despite a new machine. Add some DLC and patches and bigger maps would eventually ctd.

So we'll see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, after Civ5 there's no way this is going to be a day 1 purchase, not unless they're going to ensure all planned features make the first release this time. The 2 DlCs of 5 really transformed the game into some spectacular, I'd rather wait and see in case the same happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gbear wrote: »
    More concrete rewards for exploration (presumably around the early renaissance), like a new wave of goody huts in unexplored parts of the world

Yup, I always felt there should have been more scope/reward for exploration - it just seems to fizzle out too soon. I'd love if there was a map setting to generate a significant continent with no civs on them to allow for a colonial scramble once the tech was available.

• Advertisement

Are there not map settings where that effectively happens? everyone starts in the same region and the rest of the map is empty?

I may be dreaming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hopefully it will not be stripped of all the DLC content that made Civ-5 playable.

Are there not map settings where that effectively happens? everyone starts in the same region and the rest of the map is empty?

I may be dreaming.

Not that I ever saw. They also tend to scatter the city states on all of the bloody islands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What were the problems with Beyond earth that people had? seems it didn't live up to expectation ? I see this is for pre-order already on steam for 60 euro LOL :rolleyes:

What were the problems with Beyond earth that people had? seems it didn't live up to expectation ? I see this is for pre-order already on steam for 60 euro LOL :rolleyes:

This is what I said in the PC Gaming forum about it.
    I finish one and a half games and it was just bad. The Civs are bland as anything (seriously, they basically drew a box around areas on Earth and called them factions: there's the ambiguous Asian lads and the ambiguous European lads and the ambiguous Russian lads - no flavour whatsoever).

The aliens are the most generic and phoned-in space aliens I've seen in any scifi (game, book, movie, or TV). The tech web is a bloated, illegible nightmare. The wonders are boring, most seemed forgettable and unimportant.

It compares poorly with everything that made Civ or Alpha Centauri good. It plays like a knock-off Civ game made by lesser developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I was looking forward to BE, but when the reviews starting coming in it was like what BC Comics fans must have felt about reading Batman vs Superman reviews... not good. I'm not too proud to say I decided to pick up a dodgy copy and run a quick test game to see if it was still worth buying, because I am a huge, lifelong Civ fan and I really wanted BE to be at least decent. First game was so bad I thought I must have just messed things up. Did a quick bit of reading tips & hints and got into a second... a few hours later, I deleted the game.

Yes, it was that bad. Zillah covered a good few of the reasons. It was like going to your favourite five star restaurant that you're only able to visit once every few years, and getting served McCains micro-chips with easy singles. To paraphrase Goodfellas, I expected meatballs in marinara sauce and all I got was egg noodles in ketchup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

Always thought on of the problems with it was the diplomacy. It felt so very shallow :(
    It is always something along the lines of:
    "Give me this or I will be mad at you and make war."

There is no depth in it at all as could be. Politics could also be so much more.

Anyone remembers Civ2? ( I know ages ago...)
    Maybe politics wasn't amazing either yet, but the advisers were absolutely amazing!
    Pity they never brought back that feature.

Same as the others, played like 2 (maybe 1.5) games of BE and was like "meh, not enjoying this at all"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 intune

Yep...

Are there any alternatives to Civ which are a bit more deep? I can only think of a some more less decent space strategy games but nothing actually amazing...

• Advertisement

intune wrote: »
    Yep...

Are there any alternatives to Civ which are a bit more deep?

The Anno Series provides an interesting alternative but not quiet the same genre.

I also really like the Total War Games.

Advertisement