Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for Raw Honeycomb

• 09-05-2016 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know where I could find raw honeycomb? I tried a couple of organic food shops at the weekend but they didn't know where to find it.

Ideally just honeycomb, and not a jar of honey with a piece of comb inside.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You could possibly try asking/moving this thread over to us in the Beekeeping forum :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've moved this into the Beekeeping forum, you're much more likely to get helpful replies here than in food & Drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm not sure what this 'raw' business is. Honeycomb cant be anything else but raw. Its a bad time of year to be looking for it as last summer was poor enough and this summer's honey wont be available for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

fits wrote: »
    I'm not sure what this 'raw' business is. Honeycomb cant be anything else but raw. Its a bad time of year to be looking for it as last summer was poor enough and this summer's honey wont be available for another while.

Thanks - I wasn't quite sure what that correct term was. I wanted to distinguish between honeycomb the confectionery, and honeycomb from a hive.

Any tips on where to source it later in the year? Do shops usually sell it or should I look at farms?

Thanks.

Some shops will stock it direct from beekeepers. Its been in short supply in recent years. I have two beekeepers in family and I am buying non Irish honey at the moment. Best time to look for honeycomb is in early autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭frankston

fits wrote: »
    Some shops will stock it direct from beekeepers. Its been in short supply in recent years. I have two beekeepers in family and I am buying non Irish honey at the moment. Best time to look for honeycomb is in early autumn.

Where are you? I have two supers full of honey! : - )

Im in south east Clare

I'm in the south east. Maybe I need to look outside of family (or get my own hives)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

This is probably a good place to ask. However, there's almost certainly a beekeepers association near you, and that's where you'll get it if there's any available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I managed to pick some up on amazon.
    It came from a UK supplier.

Hopefully I can find a local supplier later in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The bees are loading up on Rapeseed now, so you should be able to find some of that. Note that it crystallises really quickly so you'll only have a few days to eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Maeve Honey

I managed to pick some up on amazon.
    It came from a UK supplier.

Hopefully I can find a local supplier later in the summer.

I can help if you want Irish cut-comb honey. I do both the normal stuff (where you give the bees a sheet of very thin wax foundation to start with) and the supreme foundation-less, where the bees make (sometimes) an unbelievably tenuous wax throughout. Based in Athlone, but happy to post and occasionally in Dublin on certain routes.

I really enjoy the challenge of it. To make great comb honey you have to run extremely strong, healthy and tight hives - the same conditions that give an elevated risk of losing the colony by swarming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They also sell it in Fallon and Byrne in Dublin.

Advertisement