Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Must do a big food shop for myself so I can get back into a healthy routine, last few weeks have been so busy. Need to buy nuts and I get some of them in lidl but just wondering has anyone ever seen pecans there? They are so damn expensive in dunnes but I like them in my porridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The not from concentrate clementine juice in their weekly specials Sol & Mar week is great. Makes a great granita, fantastic ice pops, nice cocktails and also works on it's own as a drink.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

leahyl wrote: »
    Must do a big food shop for myself so I can get back into a healthy routine, last few weeks have been so busy. Need to buy nuts and I get some of them in lidl but just wondering has anyone ever seen pecans there? They are so damn expensive in dunnes but I like them in my porridge.

I've got pecans in Lidl before. In the resealable bag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They are so damn expensive in dunnes but I like them in my porridge.
    Check the baking section as nuts will usually be raw and unsalted. If nuts are salted and/or roasted they are 23% VAT.

It also can pay to shop around, even in the same shop. Tesco have 100g packs of own brand pecans, one is. 3.59 the other 1.69

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266375275
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258511806

neither is "finest" or "value" both look similar enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There whole meal bread is tops. As is there salad stuff. I love the bakery, but haven't touched in a year.

Stuff like razor blades and shaving cream are quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Potsy84

Gouda rolls from bakery section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Potsy84 wrote: »
    Gouda rolls from bakery section.

I've only just discovered these. Cannot stop eating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I used to haul pecans from Lidl but haven't seen them in well over a month now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I used to haul pecans from Lidl but haven't seen them in well over a month now:(

There are many items in lidl that have disappeared & have not returned of late.

They are slipping.
    And their "simply/yellow pack" campaign isn't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Striploin and Rib eye steaks €3.
    While not quite as thick as the 2 for €12ish ones the Rib eye was damn tasty.

• Advertisement

Found a large jar of kalamata olives left over from their Greek week in my local store last night. I thought they were delicious. Going to see if they have more today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I really liked that smoked whole mackerel they had in for Polish week, very soft and a sort of buttery texture.
    I love those Kalamata olives too, Aldi actually have jars of them in stock again. they're the only reason I'd go to Aldi instead of Lidl.

Giving a big thumbs up to their apricot/blueberry mini shredded wheats in their breakfast cereal range. Delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The giant, multi seeded, slightly rye-ish tasting loaves. They are our weekly loaf and if they stop stocking them I will huff and complain mightily. Great fresh and makes beautiful toast.

Ripe mangoes this week also. Not the best mangoes that ever did mango but good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The giant, multi seeded, slightly rye-ish tasting loaves. They are our weekly loaf and if they stop stocking them I will huff and complain mightily. Great fresh and makes beautiful toast.

Ripe mangoes this week also. Not the best mangoes that ever did mango but good.

That and the big country loaf are our regular bread too.
    Their white crusty cob is a nice white loaf too (for visiting the parents who refuse to eat non white bread unless it's soda bread).

The BBQ roast almonds in the American specials at the moment are dangerously addictive. I was dubious about the BBQ flavour but it turns out to just be smoke and salt:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The BBQ roast almonds in the American specials at the moment are dangerously addictive. I was dubious about the BBQ flavour but it turns out to just be smoke and salt:D

Oh RLY! And I have to take a wander down this morning to pick up bread and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Their Twix own brand bars are just like Twixs.
    Was nicer than the Aldi version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Their Twix own brand bars are just like Twixs.
    Was nicer than the Aldi version

All the own brand bars have a lot more sugar and calories than the original bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Their vine leaves in the fridge antipasti section ( not in the tin ) are the best quality ive ever had in a supermarket or deli. There's only ever two packs in the back left of every box for some reason so they can go fast.

Their chunky bars in blue wrapper are just like purple snacks!

Love their frozen prawns . Massive compared to other supermarkets.

Every few months they do a run in the 'dumpy' aisle of grout cleaner spray. Its savage stuff. Only 149 and I stock up on it cause it sells out fast ( by cleaners id imagine). Spray it on and ur grout will be like the day it was done .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

All the own brand bars have a lot more sugar and calories than the original bars.

What sort of % are you talking? what bars did you compare? was it a lot more sugar/calories per 100g or per bar. A lot of own brand bars are bigger than the shrunken originals now.

I never noticed any own brand bars which were significantly higher in calories per 100g.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Their pepper sauce is like something out of a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Their chunky bars in blue wrapper are just like purple snacks!.

Are those chunky bars not from Aldi?

Their seeded baguette from the bakery is amazing. I generally don't like their bread but that roll.... Nom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm a recent convert to the Lidl bakery bread - they do a lovely round white crusty loaf - the only problem is I eat too much of it!! Also bought their brown soda recently and it was lovely. I don't normally buy brown, but I had visitors and didn't have time to bake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to the Lidl bakery bread - they do a lovely round white crusty loaf - the only problem is I eat too much of it!! Also bought their brown soda recently and it was lovely. I don't normally buy brown, but I had visitors and didn't have time to bake.

Love their brown bread. The loaves have such a delicious crispy crust!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Some top food buys in Lidl:

The fresh baked Low GI Cob is awesome
    The Deluxy seafood chowder is one of the nicest going
    Fillet Steaks are good quality
    The Greek Feta and spinach puffs are excellent

But the best thing i've gotten so far , might be a bit odd but the Cian Shark 5 blade Razors with the precision trimmer is class better than a Gillette razor and the refill blades are a 1/4 of the price

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭selastich2

The Guacamole style dip for their nachos. I can't get enough of that stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Cherries, cherries, cherries!

Our Lidl has fresh cerries, on a big tray so you can select the ones you want yourself.
    This has to be my favourite time of the years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tawaret

Lidl cherries are delicious :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Caramelized Red Onion Relish yet, it's amazing! Tastes brilliant with sausages and burgers, and any kind of deli meat.

For a super super easy supper and next - day lunch get a pack of Lidl ready made puff pasty, a jar of red onion relish, and a roll of French Goats Cheese. Cut circles or squares of pastry and line a muffin tin, add a teaspoon of relish, a thin slice of cheese and some black pepper to each, bake at 200C for 18 mind. So, SO good!

Also love coating the turkey steaks with some flour, egg and breadcrumbs, fry in a bit of oil. Better than any frozen pack muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Lidls bbq sauce is actually brown sauce :(

I think its just a one off as I got it when the American products were in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Solevita lemonade - €1.70 a go which is almost luxury pricing by Lild standards but very nice and refreshing.

Advertisement