Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dury duty

Options
  • 24-04-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm in for Dury duty tomorrow in Criminal Courts.

My main concern is that I had a week holiday abroad booked before I was summoned and I can't afford to cancel it as I will lose all the money spent on it.

What are my options, I hope there are any....

Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

italodisco wrote: »
    Hi,

My main concern is that I had a week holiday abroad booked before I was summoned and I can't afford to cancel it as I will lose all the money spent on it.

Cheers for any advice

Your best option is to Hit them with your Rhythm Stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tell them you've a flight booked and asked to be excused. Bring receipts/booking confirmations printed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Just produce your booking confirmation to the court clerk and you'll be relieved of jury duty as far as I know (happened to one of the jurors when I was called a few years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Your best option is to Hit them with your Rhythm Stick.

Begin by hitting them slowly. Then hit them quick.

I think it's spelled "dury juty"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Just be polite to the dudge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

You'll need to wear new boots and panties..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What happens if you don't show up?

There ain't half been some clever bastards on this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why did you not tell them weeks ago about your holiday in fairness

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Why did you not tell them weeks ago about your holiday in fairness
    How'd you know the holiday is in Fairness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tell them, they'll be well dealous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    What happens if you don't show up?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html
    Offences

Under the Juries Act, the following offences are punishable by fines:
    • Failing to attend for jury service without reasonable excuse, or not being available when called upon to serve as a juror or being unfit for service by reason of drink or drugs.
    • Making or causing to be made on your behalf false representations.
    • Serving on a jury knowing you are ineligible or disqualified.
    • Giving false or misleading answers to the presiding judge regarding your qualification for jury service.
    • Making or causing to be made on behalf of a person summoned as a juror any false representations to enable him or her to evade jury service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

endacl wrote: »
    How'd you know the holiday is in Fairness?

Nah I think it's in May.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html
    Offences

Under the Juries Act, the following offences are punishable by fines:
    • Failing to attend for jury service without reasonable excuse, or not being available when called upon to serve as a juror or being unfit for service by reason of drink or drugs.
    • Making or causing to be made on your behalf false representations.
    • Serving on a jury knowing you are ineligible or disqualified.
    • Giving false or misleading answers to the presiding judge regarding your qualification for jury service.
    • Making or causing to be made on behalf of a person summoned as a juror any false representations to enable him or her to evade jury service.

All of these have occurred by the sounds of it. I wonder what the drunk / stoned juror was like.

You could dust tell them to dump off a pier...or a detty...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

OP your best option is to sleep on it and when you get up have a decent breakfast and don't forget the orange duice for the vitamin d.
    Then contact the dudge I am sure here or she will be very understanding when they read your correspondence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Commit a crime yourself (something small), hurry. The judge will let you off for your holidays anyway, they always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The exact same thing happened to me OP. I just told them I had a holiday booked. I didn't need to show them proof.

• Advertisement

How about getting yourself arrested tonight ,,then you'd have your jury to pick ,plead guilty and offer to imprison yourself in Fairness.

Depends on the county OP.

Here in Kerry most people show up for jury duty so they're rarely that pressed for numbers, and they may accept a reasonable excuse. The holiday one isn't great, where someone says on the first day of a criminal sessions they may be caught by work or holidays have heard judges ask for details, when were holidays booked etc.

Depends on the county OP.

Here in Kerry most people show up for jury duty so they're rarely that pressed for numbers, and they may accept a reasonable excuse. The holiday one isn't great, where someone says on the first day of a criminal sessions they may be caught by work or holidays have heard judges ask for details, when were holidays booked etc.

Aha ,,I knew you were a judge . Do you have a wig and cape ? Do pretend to be batman when nobodys looking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Is this in the local durys inn?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I hate when Blockheads pick on people's spelling.

Aha ,,I knew you were a judge .

I wish!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

italodisco wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers for any advice

My main concern is that your attention to detail may be just a tad in need of improvement.....and you may have to decide whether or not to send someone to prison.

maudgonner wrote: »
    I hate when Blockheads pick on people's spelling.

Guilty .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Question, can you book a holiday for the dates of the trial after you're summoned and use that as an excuse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You could show up then tell them the defendant is well known to you

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement