Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route to Microlight License

Options
  • 23-04-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I want to get a PPL(M) license. I have about 15 hours done, but had to stop 2 years ago due to moving abroad with work, but I'm back now and would like to keep it up, I have passed the medical so no issues there, my question is, where is the best school to learn?
    I'm based in the west but am willing to travel, I know the weather restricted progress last time so would also love to hear from someone who done the training abroad, what the story was with using / converting their license for use in Ireland afterwards? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

rustynutz wrote: »
    I want to get a PPL(M) license. I have about 15 hours done, but had to stop 2 years ago due to moving abroad with work, but I'm back now and would like to keep it up, I have passed the medical so no issues there, my question is, where is the best school to learn?
    I'm based in the west but am willing to travel, I know the weather restricted progress last time so would also love to hear from someone who done the training abroad, what the story was with using / converting their license for use in Ireland afterwards? Any advice appreciated

Forget to say, its fixed wing I'm interested in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

have a look at Frenchpark, Tibohine Airfield,Roscommon or Ultraflight in Abbeyshrule or Tandragee in the North.

Thanks for that, I can't find any information on the place in French park, that would be ideal as I'm only 20 minutes away. Also has anyone any experience with going to Spain or France to get the licence?

Call James Morrisroe at <snip> or <snip>. The airfield is 3 nm West of Frenchpark.

Please do NOT post phone numbers or mail addresses on public forum. If appropriate, send them to the inquirer by PM Thanks

That information is in the public domain already, but I'll PM it.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

regarding the foreign licences, because the microlight licences are regulated under national laws rather than EASA as in the case with PPL, the licence that you will obtain in either France or Spain will need to be converted to Irish one if you intend to do your flying here. Typically you should complete your microlight training withing 35-40 hours, however for conversion, IAA requires you to have a minimum of 50 hours + Class 2 med cert. That means when looking for a school, you have to look for someone who will allow you to do some hourbuilding afterwards should you be some 10 hours short of the requirement.

I would strongly recommend to do your training in Ireland if this is where you intend to fly, as during the course you will build relationships, will learn to appreciate the local climate and do's and don'ts..

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

rustynutz wrote: »

Did you get your licence in the end?

Did you get your licence in the end?

I discovered paramotoring after that and am happily flying since

Advertisement