Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Issues warning to LGBT Travellers to the US

Options
  • 22-04-2016 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

After the outrage here because Australian officials gave warnings about travel in Ireland, I was wondering what boardsies thought about the latest warnings about the US of A?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36104879
    The UK government has warned gay and transgender travellers to be careful in the US due to legislation in North Carolina and Mississippi.
    "The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes toward LGBT people differ hugely across the country," a travel advisory from the UK reads.
    Newly passed laws in both states allow businesses to refuse service to LGBT people.
    The advisory comes from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah, the American South is extremely conservative. What's the big news story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Fair warning imo. They haven't said anything that isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Do they make rainbow roads instead of tarmacked drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't see the issue.. it's simply informing people that some States have very conservative views and they should be aware of this when visiting these locations.

But I know... we should be outraged that not everyone is as enlightened as we are and start an internet campaign to browbeat them into submission and change their ways, right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's a handy way of condemning the legislation without having to say 'Hey America, Fcuk you and your inbred backwards hillbillies' to their biggest ally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tbh they have to issue the warning. There is a risk for a certain demographic of their citizens and it would be remiss of them not to warn about this. Is it just me or is America getting more scary and extreme on a nearly daily basis now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hopefully stuff like this on top of the concerts and other stuff being canceled embarrasses them enough into seeing how bigoted they are as well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gandalf wrote: »
    Is it just me or is America getting more scary and extreme on a nearly daily basis now?
    Not just America G. Lines are beginning to be drawn all over the West.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Tbh they have to issue the warning. There is a risk for a certain demographic of their citizens and it would be remiss of them not to warn about this. Is it just me or is America getting more scary and extreme on a nearly daily basis now?

Seem to be travelling back in time lately alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wibbs wrote: »

Paranoia strikes deep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

This is already on reddit. I think there's a bit too much hyperbole over it to be honest. It's sort of like how the Australian Government were warning Australian citizens about possible sectarian violence here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Wibbs wrote: »

Yeah but it is particularly pronounced in the US, it's nearly at a surreal comedy stage now. Ffs to even have someone like Donald Trump running for president is bad, for him to be the front runner for the Republican nomination is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Does any outsider actually feel safe in Mississippi?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ffs to even have someone like Donald Trump running for president is bad, for him to be the front runner for the Republican nomination is insane!
    Actually Trump has a history of comments that are fairly supportive of LGBT. He's been talking about amending the 1964 Civil Rights Act to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation for nearly 20 years...or at least, was talking about it until he decided to run for the Republican nomination and did an about-face on a whole range of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lol, I'm not gay and even I wouldn't feel safe in the deep south :pac:

I think it's more of a public dig at the legislation than an outright warning to people, I'm pretty sure LGBT travellers would be aware of what kind of discrimination they'd face if they went to deeply conservative parts of America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It seems like reasonable travel advice, especially for transgender people to use the toilets (or washrooms, restrooms etc that Americans call them) in accordance with their birth gender.

This one particularly amused me actually, I have visions of two WASPS standing at a urinal and a woman coming in, hitching her dress up and pissing next to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

This one particularly amused me actually, I have visions of two WASPS standing at a urinal and a woman coming in, hitching her dress up and pissing next to them.

Someone told me before but I've forgotten: What's a WASP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

JustShon wrote: »
    White Anglo Saxon Protestant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, the American South is extremely conservative. What's the big news story here?

Nota bene: "The US is an extremely diverse society and attitudes toward LGBT people differ hugely across the country,"

Conservative it may be, but in states such as Texas the overriding thinking is that a man can walk abroad and scratch his balls (or whatever it may be playsin' him to have) at any hour of the day or night. And if people have a problem with that, they can debate the issue with Messrs Smith and Wesson! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant

• Advertisement

We Are Sexual Perverts. These fellas:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Yeah but it is particularly pronounced in the US, it's nearly at a surreal comedy stage now. Ffs to even have someone like Donald Trump running for president is bad, for him to be the front runner for the Republican nomination is insane!

What a stupidly naive post. You do realise Ted Cruz is way far more conservative than Trump? You should be delighted Trump the front runner because his nearest rival is a lunatic: http://www.thejournal.ie/donald-trump-transgender-bathroom-2728911-Apr2016/
    Donald Trump said today that transgender people should be able to use whichever bathroom they choose, wading into one of the most contentious issues in politics and opposing many in his party.

Trump’s main rival, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, immediately fired back, saying that Trump is giving in to “political correctness”.

Grown adult men, strangers, should not be alone in a bathroom with little girls,” Cruz said, calling his view “basic common sense.”

His campaign also released a statement declaring Trump “no different from politically correct leftist elites.”

"He has succumbed to the left’s agenda, which is to force Americans to leave God out of public life while paying lip service to false tolerance."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

the warnings are a bit over the top for some possible social discomfort it's not like they were warning over possible violence against LGBT.
    A bit rich coming from the UK given large sectors of British society would be very anti-LGBT.

511 wrote: »
    What a stupidly naive post. You do realise Ted Cruz is way far more conservative than Trump?...

Ted Cruz is a bible-thumping idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

511 wrote: »
    What a stupidly naive post. You do realise Ted Cruz is way far more conservative than Trump? You should be delighted Trump the front runner because his nearest rival is a lunatic: http://www.thejournal.ie/donald-trump-transgender-bathroom-2728911-Apr2016/
    Ted Cruz being more of a lunatic doesn't stop Donald Trump being a lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I read that as LGBT Travellers, as in Travellers, as in Irish Travellers. I was very confused (it's early!).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

arayess wrote: »
    the warnings are a bit over the top for some possible social discomfort it's not like they were warning over possible violence against LGBT.
    A bit rich coming from the UK given large sectors of British society would be very anti-LGBT.

It's not legislated against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's a fair enough warning. It points out that states can differ and some states may have laws allowing you to be discrimated against. People are voting in these politicians so there would be a section of society that is anti LGBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

kneemos wrote: »
    It's not legislated against.

neither are 99% of the warnings from the foreign office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I read that as LGBT Travellers, as in Travellers, as in Irish Travellers. I was very confused (it's early!).

You read it correctly, travellers shouldn't be capitalised in the title

Advertisement