Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man sues ex-fiancée for $30,000 engagement ring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, but she was a "leggy blonde". What was he supposed to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Whats in this engagement/marriage thing for men ?

I don't understand why men are putting themselves forward for this farce ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

osarusan wrote: »
    Same in Ireland.

Otherwise people could be deceiving 'partners' out of such gifts all the time.
    Got in before me there, I was just looking that up too :D
    blinding wrote: »

They get married. The engagement ring is a bit of an outdated thing at this stage and only really kept up out of tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Depending on your circumstances, there can be tax benefits to being married.
    It greatly simplifies guardianship rights to your children.
    It allows your partner to make medical decisions for you when you're unable to make them for yourself and vice-versa.

And probably the reason that most men go ahead with marriage: it makes your partner happy. And we all know the old saying about that...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Depending on your circumstances, there can be tax benefits to being married.
    It greatly simplifies guardianship rights to your children.
    It allows your partner to make medical decisions for you when you're unable to make them for yourself and vice-versa.

And probably the reason that most men go ahead with marriage: it makes your partner happy. And we all know the old saying about that...
    Seriously though is it worth it .

If you could afford it would you be better off getting a personal assistant (male/ female)

In the future you may be able to get a hot sexbot and that should be more straight forward than dealing with your average female.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

If you could afford it would you be better off getting a personal assistant (male/ female)

In the future you may be able to get a hot sexbot and that should be more straight forward than dealing with your average female.:eek:

Tbf, if you only see women as a masturbation aid then marriage probably isn't going to have much appeal to you…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nice.

I imagine you must be beating them off with a shitty stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Nice.

You know your weird when El Weirdo thinks your weird!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Ah, but she was a "leggy blonde". What was he supposed to do?
    Report the story to a newspaper which wasn't in the habit of referring to "blondes" as "leggy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't get engagement rings. Surely its a scam.

Yeah just like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day.
    It's all a grand plan to get you to part with your cash. :D
    Samaris wrote: »
    Also, what sort of tool breaks off an engagement by text?

Phil Collins ?
    My bad, sorry that was marriage.
    Samaris wrote: »
    Recently got engaged there myself. No ring, we don't have money to waste on things like that and I'm an unsentimental sort anyway. But fiance did give me a recurve bow for a birthday present and we joke that it's an engagement bow. If we broke it off, I don't think I'd be returning that :P

Jaysus he better not pee you off.
    Nothing like giving a weapon to a partner to show your trust.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    Nice.

There will be no beating off until the sexbot arrives or have I got that the wrong way round ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What did she buy him?

Stories like this offer explanations as to why traditionalism will always trump women's lib in the western world for a few generations yet to come.

Lots of ladies out there not interested in equality. Just want to be little princesses.

Sorry sisters.

topper75 wrote: »
    What did she buy him?

Stories like this offer explanations as to why traditionalism will always trump women's lib in the western world for a few generations yet to come.

Lots of ladies out there not interested in equality. Just want to be little princesses.

Sorry sisters.
    Don't tell it like it is; The sisters won't like it:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

osarusan wrote: »
    Same in Ireland.

Otherwise people could be deceiving 'partners' out of such gifts all the time.

I guess that must be happening a lot in the UK, where an engagement ring is considered an ordinary gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine used to have a business buying gold & jewellery. He said that some women would scream & some would cry when he told them that their precious engagement ring was worth feck all.

He didn't enjoy telling them that their big diamond ring was actually zirconium :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

When we got engaged he bought me engagement shoes and insisted on buying me a ring even though I told him I didn't want one. We ended up getting a token ring and then a few months later I found a much more expensive ring (but still not over 1k) that I absolutely fell in love with. I was going to buy it for myself but when he found out I had found a ring I had fallen madly in love with, he was delighted and bought it for me because he wanted my engagement ring to be that special. It's a morganite stone (pink!) so doesn't exactly look too engagementy but it's my favourite ring ever and it would break my heart to give it back.

He got a massive tv for his mancave so he can keep that if I get to keep the ring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Many couples these days exchange engagement presents all right
    I don't get engagement rings. Surely its a scam.

Of course it is :confused:
    Is it time to link that debeers article again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

He got a massive tv for his mancave so he can keep that if I get to keep the ring

you let him have a man cave.... :eek: you're a keeper! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bluewolf wrote: »
    Many couples these days exchange engagement presents all right

Of course it is :confused:
    Is it time to link that debeers article again

Don't mention milk to him either!

My tip: Buy a Barn braic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mine used to have a business buying gold & jewellery. He said that some women would scream & some would cry when he told them that their precious engagement ring was worth feck all.

He didn't enjoy telling them that their big diamond ring was actually zirconium :pac:
    Even if it's a perfect diamond, it's next to worthless second-hand.

I cringe every time I hear people coming back from Antwerp bragging about how much they "saved" or how much their insurance company valued the diamond ring they spent two months salary on. Sure, it might cost you a grand more to buy the same ring in an Irish jewellers and maybe it makes sense to insure it as such if you'd be fool enough to spend that kind of money twice but it doesn't mean the ring is worth anything like what you paid for it. Ask what a jeweller would buy it from you for, or see what it'd fetch on Adverts. Then you know what it's "worth".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

The only thing that should be valuable about a ring should be personal value, and what it symbolizes to the giver and the receiver. The whole point being that the soon to be weds intend to have a long and happy marriage. It shouldn't have a re-sale value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

She hasn't a long leggy leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No way would I ever spent thousands on a ring, when I asked my ex to marry me she told me that the engagement ring should be around 3 months salary.

She seemed surprised when I said I didn't believe in spending big money on engagement rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

She told me that the engagement ring should be around 3 months salary.

I love that little chestnut alright!

I know a couple that are on first name terms with most of the staff in a jewelry shop. Not other did some get a really expensive engagement ring, but they regularly buy expensive watches and other jewelry.

At Christmas she got a ring that cost over €2k. Not an engagement ring, just a "normal" ring.

They're not loaded, doing alright but no better than myself and the other half would be. Of course it's their money to spend as they like but I find it a bit mad that they are "regulars" in a jewelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think I've said it here before. I just can't wrap my head around the value people place on shiny rocks dug from the ground by some half starved peasant in West Africa.:confused:

I know right? I've been told in no uncertain terms that if I decide to put a ring on it, it had better be a cheap ring. Oddly enough that made me want to put a ring on it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I bought my ex a stone for her engagement ring when I was overseas & we went to Antwerp for a romantic weekend to get it set, cost about £5K in total.

Fast forward 18 months...

We were having an argument while crossing O'Connell bridge one evening & I told her to fuck off I'm done arguing in public, cue a big dramatic gesture on her behalf...

She whips off the engagement & flings it at me, I duck & the ring goes into the Liffey :pac::pac::pac:

The look on her face...priceless :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

F**k me, I hope it was insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Sleepy wrote: »
    Even if it's a perfect diamond, it's next to worthless second-hand.

I cringe every time I hear people coming back from Antwerp bragging about how much they "saved" or how much their insurance company valued the diamond ring they spent two months salary on. Sure, it might cost you a grand more to buy the same ring in an Irish jewellers and maybe it makes sense to insure it as such if you'd be fool enough to spend that kind of money twice but it doesn't mean the ring is worth anything like what you paid for it. Ask what a jeweller would buy it from you for, or see what it'd fetch on Adverts. Then you know what it's "worth".

A relative used to run a business that did cash for gold. When people brought in jewellery they'd only pay the value of the gold or silver by weight, any stones up to and including diamonds were of no value in their eyes.

He was showing me examples of diamond encrusted engagement rings that would have cost a few grand in a jewellers, which they had paid a whopping 160 euro for because that's all the gold was worth. It was real eye opener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

F**k me, I hope it was insured.
    Nope, best money I ever spent :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

I'd be pretty sure that, legally speaking, your ex owes you 5k.

Advertisement