Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Urgently need data from a broken usb stick

• 16-04-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My granddaughter stored all her college assignments on a usb stick which has broken and she urgently needs the data for next Monday. Is there anybody who could retrieve the data for her over the weekend? She's willing to travel for this service.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What level of broken we talking? Like through a washing machine broken, won't read broken, snapped in half broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

If the USB connection on the front is physically snapped and there are only 4 broken solder joints, it *may* be repairable for cheap enough.

Anything more serious, and it's down to long and expensive data recovery experts - not by Monday unfortunately.

Stupid question - is any of it backed up anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Serendipity121

What level of broken we talking? Like through a washing machine broken, won't read broken, snapped in half broken?

The key has two ends on it, One end is a regular USB and the other is a micro USB. The regular USB connection has broken off. I attempted to plug the micro end into a tablet but it is not being recognised. Someone attempted to solder the connector back on but it didn't work.

If the USB connection on the front is physically snapped and there are only 4 broken solder joints, it *may* be repairable for cheap enough.

Anything more serious, and it's down to long and expensive data recovery experts - not by Monday unfortunately.

Stupid question - is any of it backed up anywhere?

This is Serendipity121's granddaughter. No I did not have the more recent filed backed up, which is why I am looking for it to be recovered urgently.
    It is only the connector that is not a clean break, and someone has already attempted to solder the connector back on but it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Maybe try to get a micro usb to USB adapter and try it in a pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Soldering it badly can damage the chip, you have to be sparing or it'll get too hot.

Get a phone that supports USB OTG, connect it via the micro usb. If it works great, if not the board is likely dead.

Maybe try to get a micro usb to USB adapter and try it in a pc?

I have one ordered but unfortunately it wont be here til Monday afternoon and I need the files by Monday Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I have one ordered but unfortunately it wont be here til Monday afternoon and I need the files by Monday Morning.

Try going to a bigger pc store like pc world. Or even try the micro us bin a few devices, download a decent file explorer app for the android device as this 'may' help recognise the device.

ED E wrote: »
    Soldering it badly can damage the chip, you have to be sparing or it'll get too hot.

Get a phone that supports USB OTG, connect it via the micro usb. If it works great, if not the board is likely dead.

I tried it in my Nexus which supports USB OTG and it didn't work.

Try going to a bigger pc store like pc world. Or even try the micro us bin a few devices, download a decent file explorer app for the android device as this 'may' help recognise the device.

I looked on PC World's website and they didn't have a connector. I have an app on my Nexus but it won't read the broken usb stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not sure where you are based but if Dublin, somewhere like Laser in Dundrum are pretty resourceful. But 5pm on a Saturday not ideal.

First Up wrote: »
    Not sure where you are based but if Dublin, somewhere like Laser in Dundrum are pretty resourceful. But 5pm on a Saturday not ideal.

Pity I didn't know sooner. I would have gladly travelled to Dublin. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Pity I didn't know sooner. I would have gladly travelled to Dublin. Thanks.

I'm not guaranteeing they can help!

Thanks to everybody who posted replies on my thread. I can now report that the problem has now been resolved, thanks to Liam Begley of LimerickComputers.ie I left the usb stick into him just before lunch today and he had all the data retrieved and put onto a new usb stick by 6pm this evening. Needless to say, my granddaughter is over the moon. All her hard work for the past year that she needs for exams has been saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Please tell me you have now backed it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Good to hear it's resolved.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Please tell me you have now backed it up?

Not me - my granddaughter. And yes, she's learned her lesson, the hard way, and has backed it up.

Advertisement