Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

april phonecalls/ may intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pcpandaman

I know, we'll hijack a corner of the rec room, make tea. Iron shirts and chit chat about the fundamentals of human rights and the ethical conundrum that is early morning drills.

Aha jus like school dinner ladies lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Omg you lot can chat!!!!

Right ladies! I went on my own, I was the only girl in a suit, others dressed very smartly though. Everyone's parents and partners made an effort with clothing but not as far a suits, more smart casual.

The list of stuff in the GV thread is good. You're only allowed 3 electrical items each so think about what you're bringing, us girls have discussed who's bringing straighteners/hairdryer etc you know the important things! I've found getting decent sports wear difficult, most plain black bottoms are ¾length which I hate so start looking now!

When I said start sorting stuff out now I meant jobs round the house/stuff you've been putting off, youll have online learning to do and we had an extra week cos of Easter but I found it tight with kids, work, homelife etc never mind having other stuff I wanted to do around the house.

If your car insurance is due renewing get business cover on it if you want to claim mileage going to different bases as part of your training.

Can't think of anything else atm but if you've any questions send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Congrats everyone. Just on sportswear, a lot of people used decathlon, I just went sports direct and got plenty. You only need blacks for PE/PSP or if you're in gym between 9-5, outside of that you can wear colours (before / after work). As Mop says go smart, first impressions count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

My local sports direct was **** tbf. Anything black not in my size and "my sure when it'll be in luf" grrrrrrr lol

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭iamveryhopeful

so, in all seriousness, what is the food like in G.V?

In addition, are there any shared facilities such as fridge, microwave at all?

I'll be needing to consume more than the likely base 3 meals a day provided for us so I would have thought prepping food for the week (for after each day) on a Sunday night to do Monday-Friday would suffice.

However, if no utilities then wtf??

Also, regarding gym, in all reality will there be time to fit in some during the week. Obviously not hour/hour and a half long sessions like now but even half hour blasts immediately once the day is finished and prior to reading/ironing etc at nights.

What is the G.V gym like (if there is one).

Any advices on the above would be great..... :)

• Advertisement

Oh go online mop, I can't handle their shops too messy.

Food is grand. You'll get your 3 meals and shared rec room with microwave, toaster, hot water for tea/coffee, fridge & freezer.

If you don't have a pe class you'll have 3 pe sessions to complete in your own time. The PTI will dictate what those are. Weeks you have pe class you'll have 2 to complete. You get a book, you record weights/times etc and submit weekly for the pti to check. At the start you'll be pushed to fit in your own stuff beyond that. I managed it now and again towards end.

GV gym is good, cardio room downstairs with a squat rack, kettle bells and Dumbbells. Proper weights room upstairs. As police gyms go I have yet to see better.

.S. wrote: »
    Oh go online mop, I can't handle their shops too messy.

Food is grand. You'll get your 3 meals and shared rec room with microwave, toaster, hot water for tea/coffee, fridge & freezer.

If you don't have a pe class you'll have 3 pe sessions to complete in your own time. The PTI will dictate what those are. Weeks you have pe class you'll have 2 to complete. You get a book, you record weights/times etc and submit weekly for the pti to check. At the start you'll be pushed to fit in your own stuff beyond that. I managed it now and again towards end.

GV gym is good, cardio room downstairs with a squat rack, kettle bells and Dumbbells. Proper weights room upstairs. As police gyms go I have yet to see better.

thanks very much for your post.

assuming a squad size of say 50, is there going to be enough fridge space for idiots like myself to store like 5 days worth of chicken and tuna (for after hours protein).

I like my porridge and coffee in the morning too. what are the arrangements for breakfast each morning (surely they cant be so stone age as to not recognise everyone needs a good breakfast to start their day).

RE: the squat rack. is it proper. as in free weight bar with enough plates etc.

To most these questions will seem irrelevant. but for my own sanity, I do enjoy a bit of a blast at the weights. I am not oblivious to think I will have the time to train that I currently have but I'd be properly depressed if there was literally crappy food served all day and zero chance for a bit of a bench/squat.... :(

oh and what are the showers like? big communal things or one shared between several rooms etc....

Our squad of 47 had room re fridge if you're planning on living in you may have less fighting for space after first 4 weeks.

Breakfast served from 7am. Porridge, scones, fry, cereal, tea/coffee. Food is generally carb heavy but it's grand, you have enough choice.

Squat rack downstairs is proper free weight squat rack. I've seen some big strong guys at it and they don't run outta plates (one did run outta room on the bar lol). Smith machine also upstairs.

Shower cubicles in toilets, only 5/6 between girls, think guys had double that, not sure.

Our squad of 47 had room re fridge if you're planning on living in you may have less fighting for space after first 4 weeks.

Breakfast served from 7am. Porridge, scones, fry, cereal, tea/coffee. Food is generally carb heavy but it's grand, you have enough choice.

Squat rack downstairs is proper free weight squat rack. I've seen some big strong guys at it and they don't run outta plates (one did run outta room on the bar lol). Smith machine also upstairs.

Shower cubicles in toilets, only 5/6 between girls, think guys had double that, not sure.

big time appreciate your input buddy. thanks very much :)

as long as I can fit in a few short but heavy lifts during the week I will be okay. (or so I hope)

can you give a rough guide what the other two meals choices are too please? sorry :(

also, I take it there is sufficient room for us students to park our car for the duration of the week? would be handy as I'd keep plat formed shoes and a belt for squatting in my boot.

if breakfast is from 7am I am taking it that in general that is the time in which you'll be getting up in the mornings? Obviously this will differ depending on being show paraded but assuming you have everything prepped the night before in terms of uniform and boots, if there is no show parade and classes start at 9 then surely getting up around half 7 would be ok.

Then if being show paraded beforehand them maybe up at half 6.

Lunch they'll be sandwiches/toasties/Paninis/soup/salad bar or else hot food, meat, chips, baked potatoes.
    Dinner meat, chips or potatoes and some veg. Vegetarian option for each meal too. Lunch is generally nicer than dinner. Curry is on fairly often lol.
    They'll be parking too, your expected to leave your car parked up inside.

• Advertisement

Lunch they'll be sandwiches/toasties/Paninis/soup/salad bar or else hot food, meat, chips, baked potatoes.
    Dinner meat, chips or potatoes and some veg. Vegetarian option for each meal too. Lunch is generally nicer than dinner. Curry is on fairly often lol.
    They'll be parking too, your expected to leave your car parked up inside.

and I take it you can nip back and forward to your car as and when you please? outside sort of 9-5 hours I mean.

I'm just trying to ask all the questions that very few would probably worry about.

also are the staff sergeants (correct me if that's not what they're called) decent enough as long as you treat them with the respect they deserve and try your best etc. or would they be grade A ballbusters regardless?

again. appreciate your help buddy. thanks very much :)

Course you can go to your car.

Staff are great. Everyone loves them by the end but honestly, treat them with respect they'll do the same. Course there'll be show parades (a LOT) at the start. It's part of the experience. But don't take it personally, don't talk back and don't lie and you'll be sweet.

Course you can go to your car.

Staff are great. Everyone loves them by the end but honestly, treat them with respect they'll do the same. Course there'll be show parades (a LOT) at the start. It's part of the experience. But don't take it personally, don't talk back and don't lie and you'll be sweet.

cool. thanks very much.

as long as they are decent. trust me they'll be getting shown plenty of respect from me.

just don't want to be constantly bollicked even if I am trying my best etc.

any ideas on the times you would need to get up at each morning (on purely class days and also show parade mornings) :D

First 4 weeks vast majority of days you'll have a show parade. We tidied our room first thing so up at 6.15. Don't be leaving room before 6.30, you'll wake up residents. Shower, breakfast, parade. Any non show parade days could potentially be 7.30. But.. Ain't many of those! Junior squad are always up earliest. Keep noise down as staff / residents also there and you don't want them to have to report to staff if they're getting woke up.

First 4 weeks vast majority of days you'll have a show parade. We tidied our room first thing so up at 6.15. Don't be leaving room before 6.30, you'll wake up residents. Shower, breakfast, parade. Any non show parade days could potentially be 7.30. But.. Ain't many of those! Junior squad are always up earliest. Keep noise down as staff / residents also there and you don't want them to have to report to staff if they're getting woke up.

haha. jesus I wouldn't want to be waking any staff. guess who would be whipping boy for 22 weeks!!

cheers buddy.

I have always been up sometime 7am-7.30 am for work and commute etc so was sort of hoping this sort of time would apply here too.

I think a shower in the evenings and sleeping in a sleeping back is in order to get an extra half hours kip :)

just reading my way through all 59 pages of the "starting in Garnerville soon. read this" thread.

whilst in g.v can you have a neatly trimmed beard? my vetting photos included this...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭PCbobby

haha. jesus I wouldn't want to be waking any staff. guess who would be whipping boy for 22 weeks!!

cheers buddy.

I have always been up sometime 7am-7.30 am for work and commute etc so was sort of hoping this sort of time would apply here too.

I think a shower in the evenings and sleeping in a sleeping back is in order to get an extra half hours kip :)

just reading my way through all 59 pages of the "starting in Garnerville soon. read this" thread.

whilst in g.v can you have a neatly trimmed beard? my vetting photos included this...

Just got up this morning and I can see iamgregorclegane (humourous reference to the mountain from game of thrones) has pestered and asked most of the questions I was thinking. I really wasn't aware fantasy characters were allowed into the PSNI, but I suppose with equality and all the way it is these days....

Lots of helpful stuff there and looks like I'll have a gym buddy and someone to supply illegal chicken breasts on campus.

Additionally someone to share funny beard stories as the sun goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

cheers buddy.

Neatly trimmed yes. Your first 4 weeks time will be scarce. I was going to bed at 1-2am and up at 5.30am to get the room clean, breakfast and kitted up for parade. You get used to it. You will be show paraded nearly everyday for absolutely nothing. You are a squad and you all take the fall for one persons fault, so pull together! In all honestly, the 22 weeks are an absolute blast

PCbobby wrote: »
    Just got up this morning and I can see iamgregorclegane (humourous reference to the mountain from game of thrones) has pestered and asked most of the questions I was thinking. I really wasn't aware fantasy characters were allowed into the PSNI, but I suppose with equality and all the way it is these days....

Lots of helpful stuff there and looks like I'll have a gym buddy and someone to supply illegal chicken breasts on campus.

Additionally someone to share funny beard stories as the sun goes down.

I am quite offended that you compared me to someone so small and weedy :D

the question is, do you squat.....

Neatly trimmed yes. Your first 4 weeks time will be scarce. I was going to bed at 1-2am and up at 5.30am to get the room clean, breakfast and kitted up for parade. You get used to it. You will be show paraded nearly everyday for absolutely nothing. You are a squad and you all take the fall for one persons fault, so pull together! In all honestly, the 22 weeks are an absolute blast

cheers buddy. couldn't face being clean shaven after all these years of being such a handsome devil....

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

PCbobby wrote:

I am helpful in the supply of chicken breasts.

• Advertisement

I am helpful in the supply of chicken breasts.

getting them isn't the issue. storing them for munching on during the week at evening times is the problem.

4 chicken breasts a day and two tins of tuna is what I can hopefully store for each evening.

added to a good bowl of porridge in the morning and coffee then I should be ok grabbing some sort of meat in the other two meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

congratz to those who got the call - from reading through the thread i think a few of you, especially the person from manchester, were at my PCA (last month). i failed that but did the first resit 2 weeks later and passed easily, have my medical in 2 weeks.
    i will be gutted if i get a dear john letter between now and then seeing yous go through knowing i may have been in with you guys had i not messed up the first time.

good luck and i will hopefully see some of you there if i pass medical and get the call.

I am quite offended that you compared me to someone so small and weedy :D

the question is, do you squat.....

I squated down to pick up a pen yesterday... Hope that counts.:D

I squated down to pick up a pen yesterday... Hope that counts.:D

a penguin??

congratz to those who got the call - from reading through the thread i think a few of you, especially the person from manchester, were at my PCA (last month). i failed that but did the first resit 2 weeks later and passed easily, have my medical in 2 weeks.
    i will be gutted if i get a dear john letter between now and then seeing yous go through knowing i may have been in with you guys had i not messed up the first time.

good luck and i will hopefully see some of you there if i pass medical and get the call.

Hopefully there is another set of calls. All being well you would need another intake. I'm not sure if there is another one or not. We were very lucky this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭networksearch1

Hopefully there is another set of calls. All being well you would need another intake. I'm not sure if there is another one or not. We were very lucky this time.

i really hope so, i could have a breakdown if not - i think they would need another 2 before 1509 goes through, but i could be wrong......will find out within the next month anyway.

am in for 1509 but dont think i passed the acc - results out tomorrow - fingers crossed

i really hope so, i could have a breakdown if not - i think they would need another 2 before 1509 goes through, but i could be wrong......will find out within the next month anyway.

am in for 1509 but dont think i passed the acc - results out tomorrow - fingers crossed

good luck tomorrow and in your upcoming medical buddy.

if in two weeks and you pass, I see no reason why you wouldn't be in with a chance in the next set of calls (which some have suggested could be the last).

I was in the same boat. panicking that all the calls would be finished by the time I had everything passed.

however, I was fortunate enough (somehow) to get a call in the first set of calls that went out after I had passed everything....

I just bought new glasses. To at least make it look like I deserve to be there.

I just bought new glasses. To at least make it look like I deserve to be there.

I Bought myself 5 months supply of huggies pull-ups. To at least make it smell like I deserve to be there.

• Advertisement

The Welcome packs came :)

Advertisement