Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another security threat, Schiphol Airport evacuated, 2 arrests

Options
  • 13-04-2016 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭

Parts of Schiphol airport in Amsterdam were evacuated this evening and some people reported being locked in the airport for hours with little information. Military police were deployed and there have been 2 arrests so far and a car with belgian plates is being impounded.

I think the situation is resolved now and the airport is reopened.

http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-04-12/amsterdam-airport-schiphol-evacuated-amid-security-alert/

Is this what life in Europe will be like for at least the foreseeable future? No doubt it is going to get worse before it gets better. It seems every week there are more arrests, foiled plots and situations like this. What's the solution? It's depressing.

Does all this make you feel less safe in Europe? I think I would definitely be more on alert myself next time Im over there. Or is it just the media blowing things out of proportion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What's the solution? It's depressing.

Shhhhh, go to bed and it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

. Or is it just the media blowing things out of proportion?

I think the problem has more to do with jihadis blowing things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember we had five bombscares in one day in a place where I worked. And three the day after. Never even made the news at the time, there were that many incidents with people getting killed to fill the news.

So no, I don't feel unsafe in Europe at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Have had a couple of 20 something Middle Eastern guys in buying rolling tobacco the last few days. They were shocked at the price and said the same thing was about €3 or €4 back in Belgium.

...Yeah, I'd keep that bit of information to yourselves lads if I were you :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's really nuts that this is the norm now for Europe. It will get worse before it gets better.

It seems almost strange that the US considers 9/11 where everything changed for them, when in reality random attacks there are pretty much only carried out by lone nuts who have lost the plot and had access to too many guns.

With Europe though, where mass indiscriminate murder is/was not the norm, Islamic terror is just something that happens now, and it could be a football match in France or a train station in Belgium or Buckingham Palace in the UK.

When the history books are written, there will be a clear distinction made between Europe pre Islamic terrorism and post Islamic terrorism, the same way the Berlin Wall is a watershed moment in European history. Before this there was domestic terrorism (IRA here, Algerians in France, ETA in Spain) in Europe with groups who had defined goals and objectives (not that it was morally right or whatever), but this relatively new source of terrorism has no end goal other than to murder as many people as many times as possible until there is no one left.

And there's not a whole lot Europe can do to eradicate it as long as big parts of the Middle East is a war torn sh1thole and there are enough Muslims within Europe who feel like a marginalised underclass and become a part of it.

The chances of any one person being killed in a terrorist attack is minuscule, but when many people have to reconsider a trip to Euro 2016, or won't go to Tunisia on holidays, or are weary on an underground, it's not possible to argue that it hasn't changed something for so many people irrevocably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

but when many people have to reconsider a trip to Euro 2016, or won't go to Tunisia on holidays, or are weary on an underground, it's not possible to argue that it hasn't changed something for so many people irrevocably.

People in Iraq get bombed, kidnapped, killed every other day.. in the grand scheme of things deciding whether or not to go to Tunisia on holidays is hardly dramatic stuff

Yes, it is serious, but apart from some longer queues in airports it doesn't impact our lives too much

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We are at war in Europe when will people finally let that fact sink in?

Which rabble rousing purveyor of nonsense do you write headlines for?

Unless you're of the far left loony type or the far right loony type (all the one sow's pigs), there is no war in Europe. There is a threat, as there have been countless threats in countless countries all over the centuries.

I suppose the only difference is there are far more vested interests and useful idiots that are able to perpetuate fears and rumours through social media than ever before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I remember we had five bombscares in one day in a place where I worked. And three the day after. Never even made the news at the time, there were that many incidents with people getting killed to fill the news.

You know what the difference is though, you had bomb scares because the vast majority of the time they gave warnings, seen the aftermath of a good handful of bombs and driven past a viable but not armed device none of those caused death.
    The psychological impact of the current attacks is different, look at Brussels the place was meant to be in lockdown, people had been talking about how the area the bombers were from was going to be trouble for ages but it still happened.

You know what the difference is though, you had bomb scares because the vast majority of the time they gave warnings, seen the aftermath of a good handful of bombs and driven past a viable but not armed device none of those caused death.
    The psychological impact of the current attacks is different, look at Brussels the place was meant to be in lockdown, people had been talking about how the area the bombers were from was going to be trouble for ages but it still happened.

People will generally forget about it

Madrid was bombed in 2004, London 2005 - people don't go around gripped in fear

The risk situation is simply higher at the moment due to recent events in Syria, but in context the risk is still very low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If you look at the statistics (link), Europe is actually far safer than it used to be when it comes to terrorism, it's just hyped a hell of a lot more these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Why aren't these terrorists attacking trains? There's no security there. It would be a doddle. Seems to me they don't want to which begs the question, do they even exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

HensVassal wrote: »
    Why aren't these terrorists attacking trains? There's no security there. It would be a doddle. Seems to me they don't want to which begs the question, do they even exist?

I'm pretty sure I saw a train at the weekend, so yeah, I'd say they do exist ... but maybe it was just a long convoy of MPVs. :pac:

I remember being teased (or "emotionally abused" if your prefer) in an English workplace about probably being an Irish terrorist and them having to check the place for bombs every evening after I left. Seeing/hearing the Twitterbook generation going on about the current "state of terror" that's never been seen before makes me feel really old. Those ISIS amateurs still haven't done anything in Europe remotely comparable to what the IRA did in London, especially the Bishopsgate and Canary Wharf bombings.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Islamists don't do bomb scares

stunmer wrote: »

The incident at Schiphol was a bombscare, whether it was Islamists, Buddhists or Satanists matters not.

HensVassal wrote: »

A guy with an AK47 was caught on a train between Amsterdam and Paris recently

The metro was attacked in Brussels. In Madrid, 192 were killed on trains. London underground was bombed, with a foiled attack not too long after. A suicide bomber killed 41 people in a Moscow train/metro bombing in 2004 and 40 in 2010 in a similar bombing. Hundreds have died in terrorist attacks in India in various train bombings and acts of sabotage.

stunmer wrote: »

but if they did, they'd probably be the best bomb scares in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Calibos wrote: »
    Have had a couple of 20 something Middle Eastern guys in buying rolling tobacco the last few days. They were shocked at the price and said the same thing was about €3 or €4 back in Belgium.

...Yeah, I'd keep that bit of information to yourselves lads if I were you :eek:

I know right? Wouldn't want to have a ton of people coming over and buying all their chaape tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    but if they did, they'd probably be the best bomb scares in the world

:pac:

Ha ha ha...comment of the week!

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

The incident at Schiphol was a bombscare, whether it was Islamists, Buddhists or Satanists matters not.

The Paris massacre last November wasn't a bombscare. It's pretty obvious Islamist terror organizations are way, way more bloodthirsty and more dangerous than the terrorists you dealt with up North. The people have a right to be more concerned about Islamist terrorism over the other terror groups - particularly suicide bombings, they are impossible to defend against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

511 wrote: »
    The Paris massacre last November wasn't a bombscare. It's pretty obvious Islamist terror organizations are way, way more bloodthirsty and more dangerous than the terrorists you dealt with up North. The people have a right to be more concerned about Islamist terrorism over the other terror groups - particularly suicide bombings, they are impossible to defend against.

That's quite a statement to make. I'm not sure it's possible to differentiate between various terror groups. A lot of the killings on this island were barbaric and bloodthirsty.

Blowfish wrote: »
    If you look at the statistics (link), Europe is actually far safer than it used to be when it comes to terrorism, it's just hyped a hell of a lot more these days.

If you removed the NI and Basque countries conflicts from that list which were geographically bounded and involved groups that could be negotiated with the difference isn't as large.
    You could also remove a lot of the deaths in Germany as they were to some extent a state sponsored proxy war with an enemy that no longer exists (the soviet union)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Yes, if you remove the numbers that don't suit your argument from the statistics, the statistics will look like they suit your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does all this make you feel less safe in Europe?
    Nope. Still one of the safest places in the world.

If you stayed inside watching the news all day you'd think there's a war zone outside the door but it's simply not true. I go to London a lot and all the bobbies standing around with machine guns in airports and train stations do give a sense of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

I like Shiphol, if you can like a airport, definetly the most chilled international airport I've been in.

Yes, if you remove the numbers that don't suit your argument from the statistics, the statistics will look like they suit your argument.

Do you think that if Europe approached the levels of Civil conflict that occurred in the Basque country and NI it would be in anyway a functional entity
    What resemblance does ISIS have with the IRA and ETA? Both those entities were mindful of public opinion even if they ignored it for tactical/strategic reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Do you think that if Europe approached the levels of Civil conflict that occurred in the Basque country and NI it would be in anyway a functional entity
    What resemblance does ISIS have with the IRA and ETA? Both those entities were mindful of public opinion even if they ignored it for tactical/strategic reasons.

Dude, all the guy said is that "Europe is actually far safer than it used to be when it comes to terrorism". If I get blown up by ETA or by ISIS I die anyway. Not that ETA was mindful of public opinion (or that it's in any way relevant).

I have friends whose apartments had to be rehabilitated to make them safe after ETA attacks btw. Our window panes vibrating when larger attacks happened. Bombs deactivated in the buildings next to my school, etc. But life still went on. Or maybe we just didn't have a hard-on for thinking we were at war or something.

I don't want to descend into the "discussion" so I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I like Shiphol, if you can like a airport, definetly the most chilled international airport I've been in.

Tis a sh1thole, like every other international airport. Queue endlessly, get hassled by security gobsh1tes, people trying to sell you overpriced crap everywhere. Sit around waiting for your chance to be herded into a pressurised metal tube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

dav3 wrote: »
    That's quite a statement to make. I'm not sure it's possible to differentiate between various terror groups. A lot of the killings on this island were barbaric and bloodthirsty.
    In general they were carried out against military/paramilitary targets or property. Very few attacks were deliberate mass killings of civilians, and nothing on the scale of the Bataclan.

Advertisement