Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Keithmc40

Any idea how to do that loopy mum please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Settings / More/ Mobile Networks
    and you should be able to click data networks in there, I don't have a sim in the phone yet so it won't open mobile networks for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

APN - 48months.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: default,supl,mms

They are the manual settings for 48 months

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭KrakityJones

Has anyone rooted this? I've tried a couple of different methods including Kingo but it never succeeds. Any suggestions?

I want to root it to edit APN settings - the phone is almost perfect for me but I can't tether off it as it keeps switching back to the wrong apn and draining my credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Heard people had some success with KingRoot. Haven't tried it myself though - http://forum.xda-developers.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=17662

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Has anyone rooted this? I've tried a couple of different methods including Kingo but it never succeeds. Any suggestions?

It seems some of these units are straightforward to root, and some are more complicated where you have to install custom recovery and then push supersu that way. If you go to modaco.com you can get more details there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Not sure if its a network issue(meteor) but I always have to force phone to accept 4g signal, even in areas where lte signal is quite strong. The mobile network is set to 4g/3g/2g but always goes to h+/3g. I have to bring up a hidden menu, dial *#*#4636#*#*: to switch to lte only and then i pick up at least 10-11 mb download speed, significantly more than 3g in my area. With lte only i cannot make or receive calls though and if i switch to lte/wcdma it will still always revert to 3g. Any advice/help is welcome thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

I want to root it to edit APN settings - the phone is almost perfect for me but I can't tether off it as it keeps switching back to the wrong apn and draining my credit.

I had this issue the weekend, first time tethering from it and it ate all my credit.

I have a question over in the talk to me forum.

Vodafone sell this, the button to tether is there and tethering is allowed in a data bundle add on, surely this is a fault and it can be returned for a full refund ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

oleras wrote: »
    I had this issue the weekend, first time tethering from it and it ate all my credit.

I have a question over in the talk to me forum.

Vodafone sell this, the button to tether is there and tethering is allowed in a data bundle add on, surely this is a fault and it can be returned for a full refund ?

AFAIK tethering with vodafone uses a differernt APN and is not included in the vodafone data bundles

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Pay-As-You-Go-Plans/Tethering-on-the-Data-Extra-PAYG-Plan/td-p/181742
    Smart 6 ultra cannot use live.vodafone.com APN when tethering. It defaults to use another APN which charges. This APN cannot be manually changed on the Ultra. Vodafone currently recommend you do not tether with the Smart ultra 6 as you will be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

neacy69 wrote: »
    AFAIK tethering with vodafone uses a differernt APN and is not included in the vodafone data bundles

https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Pay-As-You-Go-Plans/Tethering-on-the-Data-Extra-PAYG-Plan/td-p/181742

If you read my thread it is allowed.

This seems to be handset specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just noticed the tethering issue today, pain in the ass as the WiFi in college is a bit sporadic, so its nice to have a mobile hotspot as backup.

Has anyone fixed the issue by rooting the phone?

It's a specific issue with the SU6, confirmed by the support guys in vodafone - they said they are trying to get a fix for it but I kinda need it now so can't wait for that.

The problem seems to be that the apn settings are locked - and even though the correct apn is selected it'll default back to the 'credit slurping' one. Ordinarily you'd just go in and delete the wrong one but you can't edit the setting.

I'm thinking if I could get at the file holding the apn details I might be able to manually remove it for once and for all.

i'll check out the modaco site later on, I must have one of the awkward phone cause i'm not a stranger to rooting but just cannot crack it on this handset.

Will let ya know if it works and if it sorts the apn problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I fixed it on mine a while back. Its not a Vodafone apn specific issue though, i'm on iD and still had the same problem.

Envolved editing a file to turn tethering back on. Will try and find the link to the site I used. I think I may have linked to it on here or modaco at some stage.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    I fixed it on mine a while back. Its not a Vodafone apn specific issue though, i'm on iD and still had the same problem.

Envolved editing a file to turn tethering back on. Will try and find the link to the site I used. I think I may have linked to it on here or modaco at some stage.

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375534-fixed-tethering-not-working/

Would this be it? About to try it now!

Shlippery wrote: »

Yeah the one Paul O'Brien links to.

Yup - worked a charm.

Did it there, really handy.

And to make it handy for anyone who may have to search this thread

Tethering / Mobile Hotspot fix
    Direct Link to guide - https://pmf.silvrback.com/fixing-tethering-on-android-kitkat
    ADB - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Credit to http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375534-fixed-tethering-not-working/#comment-2261605

On the guidance of FrostyJim !

Cheers all, so far so good. This was the only thing annoying me about the phone. Couple of tests done after making the changes and my credit is untouched - fingers crossed this holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gomango

Anyone using this with a Parrot CK3100 handsfree?

It is not syncing my contacts. Worked a perfectly with nexus 4 and was able to use Ok Google.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 71 ✭✭JackD9922

Broke my beautiful Nexus 4 screen and the touch is unresponsive. 110 euro to fix so I might as well just buy a new phone and fix the nexus myself when I get time.

Is this still the best budget smartphone? 105 pounds on Amazon looks pretty good.

How does it compare to the Xiaomi Redmi 3 does anyone know? Xiaomi is slightly more expensive, would it be worth it?

Can I root and install custom roms on the SU6? Reading online, it seems some people have problems rooting and there doesn't seem to be anywhere near big a community of support as there was for the Nexus 4 on XDA. All I could find on the SU6 on XDA was one thread...

JackD9922 wrote: »
    Broke my beautiful Nexus 4 screen and the touch is unresponsive. 110 euro to fix so I might as well just buy a new phone and fix the nexus myself when I get time.

Is this still the best budget smartphone? 105 pounds on Amazon looks pretty good.

How does it compare to the Xiaomi Redmi 3 does anyone know? Xiaomi is slightly more expensive, would it be worth it?

Can I root and install custom roms on the SU6? Reading online, it seems some people have problems rooting and there doesn't seem to be anywhere near big a community of support as there was for the Nexus 4 on XDA. All I could find on the SU6 on XDA was one thread...

You can root, some of them are write protected and are harder to root. (More info on modaco.com) As for custom roms there is only 1 and its not a daily driver. The phone had a lot of potential but none of the developers seemed fo warm to it. One thing I would say is go into a Vodafone shop and check one out in person. Its a very big phone. I have one now but find it a bit too big at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

My phone just died. Doesn't turn on.

Blue light comes on when it's plugged but that's all. Anything I can try (reset, etc?) before I contact Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone having issues with Snapchat after you take a snap? Screen goes black and stays like that.

No issues seeing Snapchat or stories, I'm pretty stumped.

Thanks for that. It's back to normal. For a minute I thought it would delete all my stuff but everything is as it was, thankfully.

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with Snapchat after you take a snap? Screen goes black and stays like that.

No issues seeing Snapchat or stories, I'm pretty stumped.

That started happening to me recently too. Must have something to do with the last update, but then again Snapchat has always been buggy on this phone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

GvidoR wrote: »
    That started happening to me recently too. Must have something to do with the last update, but then again Snapchat has always been buggy on this phone. :(

Yeah, pretty frustrating and wife is going spare here, tried the basic fixit steps but still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Yeah, pretty frustrating and wife is going spare here, tried the basic fixit steps but still no joy.

Happening on my phone too. The response time on the phone is shockingly slow too. I've loads of space on the phone but everything is so slow to open. Has anyone any suggestions?

The picture will still appear as it should when you send it though. It's just the annoyance of not knowing exactly how it looks and where to put the text or whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Anybody having trouble with the phone unlocking itself.

I go to unlock it via the side button under the volume button sometimes its fine others 5-6 seconds later it might do it.

Its also going blank as such just black screen touch buttons at bottom light up on touch etc.
    If I hold the bottom.button it even makes the sound just nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Having same issue with Snapchat screen going black after photo is taken. Tried removing app and reinstalling it but no joy. Do we have to wait for bug to be fixed or is there a solution to this

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Having same issue with Snapchat screen going black after photo is taken. Tried removing app and reinstalling it but no joy. Do we have to wait for bug to be fixed or is there a solution to this

Could try getting an older version or waiting for an update. Other than that I don't think there's any other solution.

Advertisement