Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat 2.0 tdi smoking

Options
  • 07-04-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all new guy here,

My wife has a 2007 passat 170 tdi, it has had the balance shafts/oil pump rebuilt, DPF removed and EGR deleted.
    All this was done in the last 6 months, recently though the car has become smokey upon start up and if the car sits idling.
    Im getting it checked next week but would like some advice before hand if anyone can shed some light on my problem.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Isn't that what the DPF is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭selectamatic

What colour is the smoke? And is it only present when the car is cold? Also any smoke during acceleration?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

The DPF was removed because it got blocked and was causing the car to limp

The smoke is a blueish colour, and is present when the car is cold but also when its warming up, it could still bellow smoke after a 5 or 6 mile run.

Im wondering if the Turbo is letting oil past the seals, it was replaced with a reconditioned unit when the oil pump/balance shafts where done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Your modifications are a sign of a complete disrespect.
    You're no better than someone who dumps a mattress by the side of the road to avoid paying to take it to the dump.

Hope it costs you buddy!!

good man there Pkiernan,

so anyone driving a car without a DPF fitted is the same as a fly tipper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

steveshort wrote: »
    good man there Pkiernan,

so anyone driving a car without a DPF fitted is the same as a fly tipper?

Worse. At least a fly tip can be cleaned up.

I didn't come hear for a morality lesson, I ask a question about my wife's car,

If you want to troll someone thread then please find someone else to annoy.

Ah jaysus I've seen some posts dished out from the high horse brigade but the two above are in a league of their own :P

Blue ish smoke is a sign of oil burning alright and most likely place is the turbo seals however I wouldn't rush into any major fixes just yet. How bad is the smoke? And is the cars oil level dropping between service intervals? A wee bit of blue smoke from high miler tdi's isn't uncommon on start up. Is the car still running at full power?

Edit: just seen the word "bellow" I'd say ya best bring it to a mechanic for the once over. Get it plugged into a diagnostics unit too just ta see if there's any fault codes present.

Thanks selectamatic for your helpful replies

Id not mind getting the Turbo replaced if its the seals, its under warranty

The smoke isnt highly excessive, when its starts first time when cold there single puff of smoke then its mostly clear.

If the car sits idling when warming the smoke slowly builds, but as soon as you drive off again it clears, once the revs increase.

The milage is only 95000 miles,

If the turbo is still under warranty it'd be worth getting the installer to have a look at it for piece of mind. Unless it's whaling out smoke or losing oil I wouldn't worry too much. Keep an eye on the oil level for the next fortnight or so if it drops then further action will be needed as the problem will only get worse however if it stays normal it should be alright

• Advertisement

Cheers

Its going to the garage on Tuesday to get investigated, ill post back with the verdict

Thanks again

I didn't come hear for a morality lesson, I ask a question about my wife's car,

If you want to troll someone thread then please find someone else to annoy.

You are belching carcinogenic particles that cause asthma in children because you are too cheap to pay a few hundred for the correct filter. Then you try to take offence at being called out on it?

You're a cheap selfish gob****e. I hope your car gives you trouble daily and costs you thousands to put right.

FortySeven wrote: »
    You are belching carcinogenic particles that cause asthma in children because you are too cheap to pay a few hundred for the correct filter. Then you try to take offence at being called out on it?

You're a cheap selfish gob****e. I hope your car gives you trouble daily and costs you thousands to put right.

think_of_the_children1.jpg
    image upload

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

See how "Green" you are when you've to fork out a few €€€€ for a DPF and EGR.

Ever seen one dying for the sake of a breath? You'd throw your life savings at them to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Any chance we can get this thread back on track and help the op rather than everyone get judgmental. Regardless what the right and wrongs are of removing dpf or egr can we agree the car would be more environmentally friendly without the blue smoke?

Ever seen one dying for the sake of a breath? You'd throw your life savings at them to stop it.

Money would be fcuk all good to them then scan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Do you honestly think a dpf magics away all those toxins?

You assume I removed the filter to save money, wrong

The cost of removal v the cost of replacement was less then 200 euro

I removed it because it got blocked, and a new one would get blocked also as our car usage will not allow the car to perform a regeneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think a dpf magics away all those toxins?

No, just the majority of cancerogenic soot particles.

• Advertisement

You assume I removed the filter to save money, wrong

The cost of removal v the cost of replacement was less then 200 euro

I removed it because it got blocked, and a new one would get blocked also as our car usage will not allow the car to perform a regeneration.

Why did you buy it then ffs?

grogi wrote: »
    Why did you buy it then ffs?

Clearly I didn't know that it wouldn't be suitable for our driving circumstances when we bought it.

Now can we keep the thread on topic, I was looking for advise about my car I didn't want to be preached to and be insulted.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Luckily the green party are all the in favour of diesel vehicles with every emission control disabled. .. shur dusnt it deecraaaaash the awful fizzy drink gas dat do be killin de paypul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

grogi wrote: »
    No, just the majority of cancerogenic soot particles.

Where do you think these carcinogenic particles go when a dpf regen takes place?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Where do you think these carcinogenic particles go when a dpf regen takes place?

They change to harmless co2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

You'll fail the NCT so your temp solution of poisoning the public will be short lived.

Nothing I hate worse than the smell of a smoky diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

You'll fail the NCT so your temp solution of poisoning the public will be short lived.

Nothing I hate worse than the smell of a smoky diesel.

Why will it fail NCT ? I didn't think they check DPF ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Car sounds completely normal for a tdi, maybe bring it put for a long Italian tune with a bit of dipthane, is it remapped.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Car sounds completely normal for a tdi, maybe bring it put for a long Italian tune with a bit of dipthane, is it remapped.

Hi, Thanks for your input the car hasn't been remapped for extra performance we reckoned 170 bhp was ample, though the ECU was remapped to remove the DPF and disable the EGR.

I put a treatment of dipthane through the car already and I think it helped a little, might try a stronger dose if it.

As regards the NCT , it will pass you are correct Needles.

I spoke with mechanics before the filter was removed and I have been assured that at present the car will pass an NCT as emissions tests are not preformed on Diesel engines only a smoke test and there is no immediate plans for this to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

:eek: any chance of the lottery numbers for the next draw :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057596884

Advertisement