Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vetting and PCA

• 05-04-2016 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently got a letter stating my PSNI recruitment process was ended due to penalty points that were on my license when applying in 2014 ( they have since been removed) I appealed this decision.
    My Physcial is scheduled soon. can I still attend when the appeal is being processed?
    Or will they get back to me and arrange another date if my appeal has been accepted?

Any information on experience with this or contact information for someone who could help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I'd suggest calling the recruitment department before turning up.
    I'd also recommend removing the date of your PCA from your post for everyone's security.

Were these points you didn't declare on vetting? Strange they would end things due to points on your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Velvetkarate

Homer01 wrote: »
    I'd suggest calling the recruitment department before turning up.
    I'd also recommend removing the date of your PCA from your post for everyone's security.

Were these points you didn't declare on vetting? Strange they would end things due to points on your licence.

Thanks for the reply. Ok I'll have to look their number out somewhere.

Yes I was completely open about it at the points in the vetting and because of the date, it was when I first applied that they were still present on my licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

At our recent induction we were told if we incurred points or were in any trouble with PSNI we wouldn't be allowed to continue with our training. It's maybe another way of reducing candidates, you know how some employers have essential and desirable criteria, perhaps they're doing something like that. Just a guess.

You don't need a number for them. Just ring 101 and ask to be transfered. Personally I'd attend and bring the invite letter. At least if the appeal is successful then you'll have it done.

I thought you were allowed at least two convictions but no more than three on Road Traffic Offences within a five year period. Not sure if that's the same as points though.

Didn't honestly pay attention to that bit as I've never had any. Like I said maybe they're changing goal posts again :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

I am still waiting on results from the AC but I wanted to ask you all your opinion.

If I am lucky enough to make it to vetting stages will a fixed penalty notice that I paid straight away buy received in the last year rule me out?

It was for dropping a cigarette, I agree that it was wrong and apologised and then decided to quit smoking. (All irrelevant I know)

Whats the opinion on the board cause it's been in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

Drummer64 wrote: »
    I am still waiting on results from the AC but I wanted to ask you all your opinion.

If I am lucky enough to make it to vetting stages will a fixed penalty notice that I paid straight away buy received in the last year rule me out?

It was for dropping a cigarette, I agree that it was wrong and apologised and then decided to quit smoking. (All irrelevant I know)

Whats the opinion on the board cause it's been in the back of my mind.

Was this a ticket from a police officer or was it from the council?

This is from the Applicant Guidance booklet if it helps.
    (ii) Motoring Offences
    The following applicants will not be considered further:
    (a) those who have been convicted of causing death by reckless (or dangerous) driving;
    (b) anyone who has received more than one period of disqualification from driving;
    (c) until 10 years has elapsed since conviction for any of the following: Dangerous Driving; ‘Hit and Run Accident’ offences; Drink Driving offences (including drugs); Driving Whilst Disqualified; Taking a Vehicle Without Authority; Vehicle Interference and associated forging or fraudulently altering documents;
    (d) permitting any of the offences at (c) above;
    (e) until 5 years has elapsed since conviction for no insurance;
    (f) until 5 years has elapsed since conviction for two or more convictions for regulatory offences; and
    (g) has been convicted on three or more occasions arising separately of any other offences under the Road Traffic Orders or any equivalent offences elsewhere within 5 years from the date of application.
    (Fixed Penalty Notices may be taken into consideration when the attendant circumstances indicate a blatant disregard for the law).

I took from (g) that you can have had two separate convictions (points) within the five year period.

Maybe VK has had other offences that are less than 5 or 10 years. Just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Drummer64

Tinfoilcap wrote: »
    Was this a ticket from a police officer or was it from the council?

Council. Does it make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tinfoilcap

Drummer64 wrote: »
    Council. Does it make a difference?

Yeah. That's just a fine and not a criminal conviction. It should be different to a pnd or a fpn that a police officer would issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Tinfoilcap wrote:
    Yeah. That's just a fine and not a criminal conviction. It should be different to a pnd or a fpn that a police officer would issue.

Get on to the recruitment office about it and ask for some advice (101 and ask to be put through). They're really helpful and will clarify/get the ball rolling for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

I'm nearly sure I've seen others here get in with penalty points? Can't imagine that 3 would be a problem unless you failed to declare them?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Homer01 wrote: »
    This is from the Applicant Guidance booklet if it helps.

I took from (g) that you can have had two separate convictions (points) within the five year period.

"Fixed Penalty Notices may be taken into consideration when the attendant circumstances indicate a blatant disregard for the law."

Depending on the OP's circumstance surrounding the points id say this part may be the relevant information in that guidance.

Generally, PSNI aren't overly keen on officers having some kind of record. You are expected to uphold the law and your previous history, if I remember correctly, is disclosable in court. Hard to prosecute someone say for driving without due care and attention if the investigating officer also had a similar conviction.

Best advice for the OP - phone recruiting and ask them outright should you attend or not whilst appealing the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭shanevendrell

People HAVE posted on this board before that they've passed vetting with points for vetting? Why would they change that now?

Generally, PSNI aren't overly keen on officers having some kind of record. You are expected to uphold the law and your previous history, if I remember correctly, is disclosable in court. Hard to prosecute someone say for driving without due care and attention if the investigating officer also had a similar conviction.

That's what they said at induction. I still reckon it's another way of culling the number of applicants this campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

Just wondering how long It usually takes for the vetting process to come through? Also how do the contact you, email?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Delilahbeau

Just wondering how long It usually takes for the vetting process to come through? Also how do the contact you, email?

It varies. Mine cleared in 6 weeks, others it took 3-4 months. It all depends on what is disclosed in your forms. As for getting back to you - they don't they'll contact you to say either you've failed or they require more info (like pictures of tattoos etc...) but no news is good news, and if they don't contact you at all then its good. You can email them however, to find out if it is passed or not (I can give you the address in a PM if you want. )

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Whataboutye

that would be good delilahbeau if you could, would help put my mind at ease! Worried it won't go through for something silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

Hey Guys! I'm not too sure if this is the correct thread for this, so please forgive me as i'm relatively new to this.
    I received a letter from the PSNI stating:

"Your application is not being processed through the remaining stages at this time. However, the list remains live and our expectation, at this point in time, is that further candidates are likely to be processed, providing there is certainty on future funding."

I can only assume that this is the 'limbo' stage of the process. I scored around the 60's mark in my AC and relatively well in my IST. Did anyone else get a similar letter? How likely is it that they would be taking the application further and what timescale am I looking at?

If anyone could help me out with those queries that would be great. Kinda stressing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Redboy12345

Hey Guys! I'm not too sure if this is the correct thread for this, so please forgive me as i'm relatively new to this.

"Your application is not being processed through the remaining stages at this time. However, the list remains live and our expectation, at this point in time, is that further candidates are likely to be processed, providing there is certainty on future funding."

I can only assume that this is the 'limbo' stage of the process. I scored around the 60's mark in my AC and relatively well in my IST. Did anyone else get a similar letter? How likely is it that they would be taking the application further and what timescale am I looking at?

If anyone could help me out with those queries that would be great. Kinda stressing at the moment.
    Hi,

head on over to http://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057586972/48?

that's the thread for the recent campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

I scored around 60 also, pretty much everyone who score below 65 received that letter.

Basically just sit tight and stand by for further correspondence if/when that happens, maintain/build a good level of fitness in the mean time and if/when we get processed you'll be ready for the PCA.

Nobody knows how long we could be waiting or if we will even get processed any further, the PSNI have stated they are seeking to recruit a minimum of 100 with the possibility of 400 in total, funding permitting.

We still have a really good chance of getting in, just depends on how many in this first group pass the remaining stages, how much money is available and if they do intend on taking the 400.

Don't take the letter as a negative, it states the merit list is still live. They can only process so many at any one time, take the time now to prepare physically and mentally for the stages ahead and be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ColourArcade

Thanks guys! You're a great help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Could somebody pm me the vetting email please

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

This has put the fear in me as I've done a speed course and 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

swl33t wrote: »

I know of an officer who not long left GV who was in the same boat as you. As long as you disclosed them it shouldn't be an issue. (Unless you were doing 80 in a 30 or something crazy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭swl33t

swl33t wrote: »

I know of an officer who not long left GV who was in the same boat as you. As long as you disclosed them it shouldn't be an issue. (Unless you were doing 80 in a 30 or something crazy!)

Phew good news! Yeah both are listed so fingers crossed! Thanks for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 36 RTGeorge8910

Received a query from vetting which is a good sign they are cracking on with getting people security cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Redboy12345

Received a query from vetting which is a good sign they are cracking on with getting people security cleared.

Happy days! Can you remember when abouts you sent your vetting forms off?

Trying to gauge if they'll have sorted through mine yet lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi guys.

I've had a few people contact me about this thread running at the same time as other identical threads. To try and make this place as easy to navigate as possible (in particular, for new users), I agree that having these running concurrently can be confusing, so I'll close it off, and ask that you post in either the PCA thread, or the Vetting thread, as appropriate.

Thanks to all.

-Shield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement