Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone Buy Wine Online From Vinissimus?

• 04-03-2013 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I was just wondering has anyone bought wine/spirits online from Vinissimus, they are a Spanish online retailer with some incredible prices on Rioja's Ribera Del Duros etc... havent found many comments on service etc on google.

Cost of shipping 6 bottles to Ireland is 24euro inc vat & insurance 27euro for up to 12 bottles?

As vat is being paid already, will there be any other tax to be paid on delivery if it is for personal consumption

http://www.vinissimus.com/en/index.html

thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

momoham wrote: »
    As vat is being paid already, will there be any other tax to be paid
    If they're all square with Irish Revenue for excise duty and VAT then there won't be. If they're not then the goods may be stopped. Revenue info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

I'd be interested to know if you've got any more information on this? I rang the revenue in Cork and they said I'd be liable for excise and VAT which I'd have to sort out before buying it in. Then when I e-mailed Vinissimus they said:

"You shouldn't have any problem with the Customs once your order is dispatched. And yes, we have delivered wines to Ireland without any problem. That's the reason to deliver only 42 bottles for each consignment, to avoid problems with the Customs.

If we can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact to us."

Now, I'm thinking they may just be looking to make a sale and once I've paid it'll be my problem once the wine arrives in the country. But the price is just so good I don't want to give up till I'm 100% sure. It would be a great saving for upcoming wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I'd be interested to know if you've got any more information on this? I rang the revenue in Cork and they said I'd be liable for excise and VAT which I'd have to sort out before buying it in. Then when I e-mailed Vinissimus they said:

"You shouldn't have any problem with the Customs once your order is dispatched. And yes, we have delivered wines to Ireland without any problem. That's the reason to deliver only 42 bottles for each consignment, to avoid problems with the Customs.

If we can help in any way, please don't hesitate to contact to us."

Now, I'm thinking they may just be looking to make a sale and once I've paid it'll be my problem once the wine arrives in the country. But the price is just so good I don't want to give up till I'm 100% sure. It would be a great saving for upcoming wedding!

If you read the link Beernut provides, it states clearly that the retailer needs to have settled the Excise and VAT on your purchase with Revenue. If they have not done this then your goods may be liable for seizure or excise and VAT upon arrival here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The tone of their e-mail sounds like they're chancing their arm. Rather than a "shouldn't", I'd prefer a "won't -- because all our paperwork is in order and it's our responsibility to get the goods to you".

It should be easy enough to check: ask for their Irish VAT number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MahatmaGeansai

Thanks folks, clutching at straws really. After I talked to the revenue I had my mind pretty much made up to not go ahead. I've asked them for their VAT nr so not expecting a response back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I know this is a late reply - but just to say that I've used Vinissimus about 5 times over the past couple of years getting stuff delivered to Dublin and never had a problem. They have higher pricing when you are delivering to Ireland, which I have assumed accounts for VAT and excise duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Seetee

My friend recently ordered all her wine for her wedding (140 bottles) from this site. She did not pay any duty at customs. I'm thinking about ordering myself but I'm wondering if she just got lucky! Any research I've done suggests excise should be paid per bottle on entry to Ireland. Any more success stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

What happens if the consignment is stopped? Do you just pay what customs calculate is owed? Or is it confiscated?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ludikrus wrote: »
    What happens if the consignment is stopped? Do you just pay what customs calculate is owed? Or is it confiscated?

I think either can happen.
    Also remember that 23 % VAT will be added to (the purchase price + delivery + duty).

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Use them all the time... 10+ deliveries. Never, ever a problem - except for one corked bottle which they refunded!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Hardly a boast man, but point taken...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ludikrus wrote: »

Confiscated, no option to pay as you don't have an import licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stephenw105

I was buying wine from Vinnissiums for a couple of years, no issues. Then they stopped selling to Ireland in 2017. I found another site enterwine and continued buying from Spain and then they stopped. Then same again happened with another site and then one of my friends had their wine stopped. Turns out that EU rules changed thanks to Ireland. You now have to accompany the wine which meant no more internet buying. And guess which country is the only country that enforces it, that's right, Ireland. Gota protect all that tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I was buying wine from Vinnissiums for a couple of years, no issues. Then they stopped selling to Ireland in 2017. I found another site enterwine and continued buying from Spain and then they stopped. Then same again happened with another site and then one of my friends had their wine stopped. Turns out that EU rules changed thanks to Ireland. You now have to accompany the wine which meant no more internet buying. And guess which country is the only country that enforces it, that's right, Ireland. Gota protect all that tax.

There was no rule change - it was always the case. Stuff used come in under the radar (got plenty myself) but fools on this site and others kept shouting about it in public thinking they were clever but with the end result that so much stuff started coming in that Revenue clamped down on it and enforced the rules that were already there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zombie thread. No need to revive it. As mentioned, importing alcohol into Ireland, without a special license, is illegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement