Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Rugby boss calls for Six Nations relegation

Options
  • 06-04-2016 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Outgoing World Rugby president Bernard Lapasset on Monday backed calls for introducing promotion and relegation to the Six Nations.
    "We need to change the format of the Six Nations Championship. If we want to look to the future, then the competition needs to be more open with a promotion-relegation system," Lapasset told French newspaper Le Figaro.
    "It could be either direct, or after a play-off. But you need to quickly give a vision and some hope for these teams," he added, talking about second-tier European countries such as Georgia, Romania and Russia.
    The debate for relegation and promotion emerged after Georgia's strong showing at the 2015 World Cup, and intensified after Italy's woeful displays in this year's Six Nations.
    Italy were the last side added to the tournament in 2000, 90 years after France became the first country from outside the British Isles to take part.
    President of rugby's world governing body since 2007, Lapasset will leave the job in May, with Englishman Bill Beaumont the only declared candidate to succeed him.
    "The only problem will be the Six Nations. It will be difficult for him to open it up, but it has to expand," said Lapasset.
    "There will be a Latin vice-president in Argentine Agustin Pichot. That opens prospects. That partnership has a good balance that can help bring rugby a little further."
    http://www.afp.com/en/news/world-rugby-boss-calls-six-nations-relegation

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

croket wrote: »

personally im in favour of a playoff. Or maybe a series playoff in the autumn. Say italy finishes bottom then the team that wins the right to challenge for promotion (say georgia) and italy play a 3 match series and the series winner cometes in 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

As long as it's a two-leg playoff I'm OK with that. Div 2 v Div 1-esque playoff for the "6th spot".
    ...play a 3 match series and the series winner cometes in 6 nations.

Why 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Can't have a draw after three games. Aggregate points could be pretty unfair if one game gets poor weather I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I hate aggregate scoring in rugby. It absolutely doesn't work, scores are too dependent on conditions. If a 3 game series is possible it should be used. That or a single game in a neutral venue would be better than using aggregate scoring.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I like it myself. All the Federale play offs use it and it makes for very exciting games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

This is a publicity stunt and is not to be taken seriously.

Lapasset was in charge of the French federation? Nothing. World Rugby? Tumbleweed.

On his way out the door in order to head up the Paris Olympic bid, for which he'll need votes from as many countries as he can get? Suddenly it's a great idea to bring the little guys into the family!

Lapasset knows better than most why this is unworkable, so it's just posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A one game playoff would be enough for me. If a Six Nations team can't beat the promotion candidate in one crucial game they deserve to go down.

I think in a three game series there's too much advantage for the incumbent and less chance of an upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

hardCopy wrote:
    I think in a three game series there's too much advantage for the incumbent and less chance of an upset.

But it shouldn't really be about an upset. It should be about the stronger of the 2 teams being in the following seasons 6 nations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Agreed on n Lapasset. Did nothing the whole time he was in office. Used to regularly pay lip service to opening in up the six nations but 0 action taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'd agree with the idea of relegation via a playoff - it would give the so called weaker countries something to aim for and add some spice to the 6 Nations itself as there'd be consequences for finishing bottom.

Recently we had some friends over from the US to attend the Italy and Scotland games and in the pub afterwards - as you do - there was a discussion on whether the US should be given the chance to play in the 6N - I thought it was quite intriguing!!

So throw in the US, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Russia (?) Spain (?) to play in an autumn tournament that concludes with the winner playing off against the bottom side from that year's 6N with the winner going on to play in the following year's 6N - it would certainly make the 6N a bit more northern hemisphere and a bit less Euro-centric.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Jawgap wrote: »
    So throw in the US, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Russia (?) Spain (?) to play in an autumn tournament that concludes with the winner playing off against the bottom side from that year's 6N with the winner going on to play in the following year's 6N - it would certainly make the 6N a bit more northern hemisphere and a bit less Euro-centric.

How will that fit in the Autumn international window and who on earth will pay for it?

Let's be fair here - every time we talk about the ENC winner we're talking about Georgia. The rest of the teams at that level are rubbish.

I think this will both damage rugby in Italy and do very little to improve it in Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭mrbrianj

Not so much talk of this when France were rocky recently.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    How will that fit in the Autumn international window and who on earth will pay for it?

Let's be fair here - every time we talk about the ENC winner we're talking about Georgia. The rest of the teams at that level are rubbish.

I think this will both damage rugby in Italy and do very little to improve it in Georgia.

It's just an idea. I'd imagine TV revenues would provide a contribution and a reduced autumn programme would provide the space in the calendar.

Yes, I'd agree it's most likely to be Georgia in the short and medium term, but I certainly wouldn't overlook the potential for the US and Canada to progress very rapidly if the right competitive context was provided for them.

I'd disagree about damaging rugby in Italy or failing to help it in Georgia - nothing like the threat of a drop to inspire a team or the lure of a reward. Plus France's early performances with it became part of the 5N didn't exactly consign rugby to the dustbin of their sporting history.

It's just an idea. I'd imagine TV revenues would provide a contribution and a reduced autumn programme would provide the space in the calendar.

How will a reduced Autumn program provide space for a 6 team tournament in 3 weeks? And who will show it? The main rugby watching populations are in the 6N and they won't because they'll have their own test matches to watch. So there will be non-existent TV revenues.
    Plus France's early performances with it became part of the 5N didn't exactly consign rugby to the dustbin of their sporting history.

Not being dropped out of the competition probably helped.

I understand the appeal of this, but its completely impractical. And Georgia aside, who are just off the level of the 6N teams, the ENC is way, way, way off the level of 6N teams. A promotion, ritual hammerings, and a demotion aren't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Can't have a draw after three games. Aggregate points could be pretty unfair if one game gets poor weather I guess.

3 draws. A win a piece and a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

3 draws. A win a piece and a draw.

Ok, its unlikely to have a draw over 3 matches when compared to two matches :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lapasset knows better than most why this is unworkable, so it's just posturing.

Genuine question, why is it unworkable? I personally always thought it would be beneficial to European rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd agree with the idea of relegation via a playoff - it would give the so called weaker countries something to aim for and add some spice to the 6 Nations itself as there'd be consequences for finishing bottom.

Recently we had some friends over from the US to attend the Italy and Scotland games and in the pub afterwards - as you do - there was a discussion on whether the US should be given the chance to play in the 6N - I thought it was quite intriguing!!

I don't think we should have relegation from the 6 Nations. Yes we need to expand but first the sides in the European nations cup need more games outside the world cup against the "top tier" nations.
    Georgia have only played 20 or so full tests against the 6Ns/4Ns sides. They have played ourselves and Argentina the most of tier 1 sides yet have only played 4 tests against ourselves. Romania have played more games but they were very very strong in 80s but fell apart when country did following fall of communism.
    Podge_irl wrote: »

Theyre not and they all need more games against the top sides but not in relegation from 6Ns. They all need more games in November and June.

Yes, I'd agree it's most likely to be Georgia in the short and medium term, but I certainly wouldn't overlook the potential for the US and Canada to progress very rapidly if the right competitive context was provided for them.

I'd disagree about damaging rugby in Italy or failing to help it in Georgia - nothing like the threat of a drop to inspire a team or the lure of a reward. Plus France's early performances with it became part of the 5N didn't exactly consign rugby to the dustbin of their sporting history.
    A reduced Autumn programme wont happen as internationals are so key to finances and big teams need the tests...
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Genuine question, why is it unworkable? I personally always thought it would be beneficial to European rugby.
    Politics of the unions. There is definite medium/long term benefits but unions don't want to lose out in short term as there would definite be issues..

I don't think we should have relegation from the 6 Nations. Yes we need to expand but first the sides in the European nations cup need more games outside the world cup against the "top tier" nations.
    Georgia have only played 20 or so full tests against the 6Ns/4Ns sides. They have played ourselves and Argentina the most of tier 1 sides yet have only played 4 tests against ourselves. Romania have played more games but they were very very strong in 80s but fell apart when country did following fall of communism.

Absolutely. Georgia should be playing more games against the 6N/4N teams. They should be playing on the regular Autumn rotation.

• Advertisement

In a practical sense it could be made to work, if the will was actually there, but as @thelostsheep points out the financial risk to the incumbents is too great for them to accept it.

I doubt the Italians or Scots would go for it; we'd be reluctant, Wales probably so as well. Perhaps only the French and English would be indifferent to it.

It's worth discussing though - in the context of whether anything is needed to refresh the 6N competition, outside the need for certain law reforms in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭croket

In a practical sense it could be made to work, if the will was actually there, but as @thelostsheep points out the financial risk to the incumbents is too great for them to accept it.

Milton Haig, headcoach of Georgia :
    “For the improvement in our rugby, it is vital we find a competition that extends us a bit more. If it is going to cost us some money [to join the Six Nations], tell us how much, and I am sure our government and our benefactors would jump at the chance to try and finance something like that. It is not about keeping the status quo, but looking at potential, of what you could develop. And about adding value to the current competition. We can add value.”
    http://www.worldsport.ge/en/page/136448_milton-haig-if-it-is-going-to-cost-us-some-money-to-join-the-six-nations-tell-us-how-much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Would a Georgian Pro 12 team be workable?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

snotboogie wrote: »
    Would a Georgian Pro 12 team be workable?

The travel costs would be prohibitive I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

croket wrote: »
    It's not the cost to the new entrant but the cost to the side losing out on a place. Turkeys would vote for Christmas first.

The travel costs would be prohibitive I'd say.

Could be done with some financial support and cost equalisation - I think one of the teams in Tiblisi is associated with Sarries.

Could be done with some financial support

From who?

Ask yourself this, if this was reasonable, and doable, why wouldn't World Rugby simply not extend the 6Nations licence to them, thereby ending the competition, and creating the competition above themselves?

That's in their power.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ask yourself this, if this was reasonable, and doable, why wouldn't World Rugby simply not extend the 6Nations licence to them, thereby ending the competition, and creating the competition above themselves?

That's in their power.

Is it within their power? Wouldn't it require a vote and could Lapasset garner enough support to do that?

Ideally Rugby Europe would actually take charge of European rugby and everyone would play nice. But there's a lot of political power in that committee.

It may well just be personal politics between Lapasset and Beaumont though, I think that's most likely.

• Advertisement

Ideally Rugby Europe would actually take charge of European rugby and everyone would play nice. But there's a lot of political power in that committee.

Sure, but who controls Rugby Europe? 6N joined up with it and it would become very difficult for it to remain a relatively closed shop - even if that is in the better interests of all parties.

Advertisement