Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Those Conspiracy Guys Podcasts

• 29-03-2016 11:23am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just came across this podcast, it was on the iTunes Podcast charts.

I started downloading some episodes, the first one is 9/11 and it turns out the guys behind the podcast are Irish. Not sure of they're names or where they're from but they're defintely Irish.

And even more surprising than the fact they're Irish it's actually really good. It's witty and it covers alot of different topics in good detail, I've only listened to two so far 9/11 and Sandyhook. Is anyone else here listening to them? What ye make?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Loughc wrote: »
    I just came across this podcast, it was on the iTunes Podcast charts.

I started downloading some episodes, the first one is 9/11and it turns out the guys behind it are Irish. Not sure of they're names or where they're from but they're defintely Irish.

And even more surprising than the fact they're Irish it's actually really good. It's witty and it covers alot of different topics in good detail, I've only listened to two so far 9/11 and Sandyhook. Is anyone else here listening to them? What ye make?

Behind the attacks ? .... That would be a twist of events :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

weisses wrote: »
    Behind the attacks ? .... That would be a twist of events :D

Hahaha, awful typing by me there. Edited my OP hahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Don't use iTunes. Got a link to a website where I can download and listen?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not sure if they do direct downloads from their site but their site is,

http://thoseconspiracyguys.com

Their source material section of the site is really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Ive listened to 9/11 sandy hook and.boston bombings.

I enjoy them though they are long so i will pick and choose them

• Advertisement

Ive listened to 9/11 sandy hook and.boston bombings.

I enjoy them though they are long so i will pick and choose them

They are really long but I find I'm enjoying listening to them. I'm doing the same just picking the topics that interest me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not all their podcasts cover conspiracy theories, a recent one was on Joseph Fritzel for example. I really enjoy their show, they are long 3 hours plus in some cases but extensively researched and entertaining enough to keep you interested. I like the fact they are Irish too, it's a nice change to hear Irish voices discuss these things.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins.

Are the rest of them the same?

John Mason wrote: »
    I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins.

Are the rest of them the same?

The ones I listened to went off topic and several times, I found they strayed from the main topic alot but ended up chatting about side issues more.

It can be annoying if it's a topic you're really interested in but I enjoyed some of the light hearted banter in it, and there is some geniunely funny moments. Their style kind of reminds me of Ray Foley's style on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

"I tried to listen to the Kurt Cobain one but gave up after an hour of sh.it waffle about Thunderbirds and ****. In this time, they had mentioned Kurt Cobain maybe twice for a max of 5 mins."

I really really wanted to enjoy these podcasts. I've tried to listen to three so far but their constant need to inject quips, smartarsery remarks at expense of actually telling the story wears thin after an hour (or ten minutes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

They should lose the " banter" and deal with issue. Also every episode mentions mk ultra.

Latest episode is 6 hours. Id say at least two hours is **** "banter"

I think two versions of their podcast would work well. One with just all the facts of the topic and discussion another uncut version with all the banter included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The ones I listened to went off topic and several times, I found they strayed from the main topic alot but ended up chatting about side issues more.

I just found these as well and would have exactly the same criticism. The podcasts are HUGE. And so much of it is just absolute b*ll*x. Not even like the banter on OTB, just absolute nonsense. It's like you are attending the production meeting for the podcast. Most people would have come across the podcast by googling the term "conspiracy theory", so I'm not sure why the guys think that everybody would be interested in all the rest of the nonsense.

But there is the core of a decent show there. I think they should completely cut the show to an hour in length... edit it, and cut out the nonsense and bad language. I listened to the Boston Bombing one and it was good.

Again agreed I'm currently listening to their podcast on Jesus Christ and it's 5 hours long. The first full hour was a tangent they went off on between the three of them.

65 mins in they only begin to discuss the topic and even then more banter ensures.

I think 2 versions are badly needed. A 60 to 90 min version covering The core topic and an uncut version with all the extra banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I've listened to the JFK and princess Diana ones.

I enjoyed them.

I've listened to the JFK and princess Diana ones.

I enjoyed them.

The earlier ones are the best. They were much shorter. The longer ones are just incoherent messes tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Joe Rogan the UFC commentator has a good few podcasts about some "conspiracies" that are insightful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I like that the podcasts are so long.

I've been listening to them since the start, and they weren't that long to begin with. The last one i listened to was the Vatican one, and by Jaysus, I think it was 7hrs or more.

I listen to them driving home and into work, so one podcast nearly lasts me the week.

It's good they don't hold too much back either, they don't seem to care what they say!

Just seen their season 5 promo video and in it they've mentioned fans and new listeners alike have asked for shorter episodes so they've said they're going to try to keep most episodes to 2 hours.

This is welcome news, I'm currently listening to the Mothman episode and I'm 54 minutes and they've mentioned about the Mothman once in that time and have been talking about Teenages mutant ninja turtles, lost and 1916 and a whole cast of other random things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just seen their season 5 promo video and in it they've mentioned fans and new listeners alike have asked for shorter episodes so they've said they're going to try to keep most episodes to 2 hours.

This is welcome news, I'm currently listening to the Mothman episode and I'm 54 minutes and they've mentioned about the Mothman once in that time and have been talking about Teenages mutant ninja turtles, lost and 1916 and a whole cast of other random things.

Maybe they should release the short version on iTunes and have the full show for their paying patreons

Maybe they should release the short version on iTunes and have the full show for their paying patreons

Yea I think that's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Far too long, too many in-jokes, classic case of neckbeards not being as hilarious as they think they are.

Just noticed that they have uploaded a lot of podcasts over the last few days. They seem to be just re-uploads of the same podcasts, I'm not sure why they would do this.

One thing that really annoys me is the way that the Gordon chap goes way over the top to make gratuitously flippant and offensive remarks about serious topics. Like in the JFK one, he says something like "Jackie comes in with some of JFKs brain in her hand and offers it to the medic and says 'will this help'. yeah maybe if you're making soup". I think the purpose is to shock, but I just find it disrespectful.

I noticed that he is on that Vodafone ad, the one where the guy is rewinding the goal and pulling him by the beard.

Just noticed that they have uploaded a lot of podcasts over the last few days. They seem to be just re-uploads of the same podcasts, I'm not sure why they would do this.

Think he said in the Marylin Monroe episode that he had remastered some of the old ones. This is likely why they've been reuploaded

They had their first Google Hangout live last night. True to the show itself, it lacked any real focus, lots of in jokes, and way too long. And you really want to punch that guy in the blue check shirt and glasses by the end of it. Some of the contributors seem fairly knowledgeable, but it sort of gets lost in the lack of any structure.

I've tried listening to the show again in the last few weeks, but it still suffers from the two main problems. 1) it's still waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Discussion of Area 51 was 4 hours 48 minutes. Discussion of the death of Elvis was almost 5 hours 30 minutes. Who has the time to spend 5 hours listening to a podcast? I listen to a lot of podcasts and documentaries, and none most seem to stick with the 60/90/180 minutes format. I wonder why they are trying to reinvent the wheel with this one?? And 2) The lack of focus, going off on unrelated tangents. This gets really annoying. And when they go off on some inane "banter", you really feel like saying "Oh stfu and get on with it for the love of God".

This is why the show needs to be EDITED. Again it is a pity, because the show certainly has potential. I'm just not prepared to spend five hours in their company for every show.

Again I agree with this one once again I think this podcast would benefit from a 90 min edited version and an uncut full version.

Again I agree with this one once again I think this podcast would benefit from a 90 min edited version and an uncut full version.

Did you check in with that Google Hangout I linked to. I have to say that I looked around the room, and I didn't feel great about myself. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I presume all these lads are former Boards.ie moderators? Going on about coke and hookers and the like.

• Advertisement

I presume all these lads are former Boards.ie moderators? Going on about coke and hookers and the like.

Gordon Rochford is the main guy. He was on a couple of Vodafone ads I think. He's a media student, said last night that he's finishing college this year and then going full time at the ould Conspiracy Theories... They have Patreon subscribers and he says they are making a few quid out of it. Not sure who the other guy with him is.

Getting a 503 Bad Gateway error trying to get onto their Patreon... Can you say... Conspiracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Had a quick glance at that google hang out video, it just likes a bunch of losers who think they are important with their alternative view of the world . Like they were discussing the fact that there were no published images of dead kids from the Manchester bombings, as if the media would publish a photo of a nail bombed 10 year old girl.

Some conspiracies are worth a look, but people like these just give it a bad name. Losers who want to feel someway special.

5 hours on Columbine anybody?? :D

Just listened to the first half hour. Just rambling around the topic. I wish they would just make the show the same length. And shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,862 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is there a TLDR version? What are they rambling about? CIA, Mind control, government black ops?

markodaly wrote: »
    Is there a TLDR version? What are they rambling about? CIA, Mind control, government black ops?

I left it on in the background while I was doing something else. So far, the first 45 minutes were general background and chat. Nothing too interesting. At about 45 minutes they went through an overview of the events, and it pretty much started there. They then discussed the minor misdemeanours that the two guys were guilty of, and read out a few of the entries from Eric Harris' blog "You Know What I Hate".

There's a new guy on it, who actually improves the thing hugely. Gordon usually relies on just being crude when he's trying to be funny. But this other guy IS actually funny.

From what they are describing, they are going for the market of people that listen to podcasts while working. Hence while the shows are so long. I can see what they are doing, but having it sooooo long, means that they will exclude a lot of their potential audience.

• Advertisement

5 hours on Columbine anybody?? :D

Just listened to the first half hour. Just rambling around the topic. I wish they would just make the show the same length. And shorter.

I have to say this was one of their better episodes. I still agree the length needs to be looked at and perhaps edited down more, actually once you get past the first hour or so it's a lot more insightful that a lot of their more recent episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So what's the Columbine conspiracy? Mind control, false flag (again)?
    It sounds like there are some people out there who really like the sound of their own voice.

Ipso wrote: »
    So what's the Columbine conspiracy? Mind control, false flag (again)?
    It sounds like there are some people out there who really like the sound of their own voice.

You know what it wasn't a conspiracy about the event itself moreso about the portrayal of the killers.

Again I was tiring with their older episodes but this really was a well produced episode and certainly didn't go down the obvious route like some of their normal episodes.

Getting a lot of airtime recently.

On with the phone show on FM104. Gordo is pretty good in front of the mic, but I think he should have prepared what he was going to say on the show.

This one is especially for LoughC, as we seem to be the only one's still watching..:) As well as the phone show, they also did the Comic Con earlier this week.

Real studenty feel to the whole thing. I've seen the other presentation that they did at Open Minds, but I think it suffers from the same problems. They seem to just go there and wing it. It would be far more productive if they had a set agenda of topics they went through.

• Advertisement

Yea very true man. The videos really expose their weaknesses, which is a shame as their podcasts are usually very well researched.

They are still very green and public speaking is a different animal compared to podcasting so that might be an issue for them to work on.

Gordo is a good speaker, all he needs to do is write out what he's going to say and put a bit of structure to the presentation. In any of the presentations, the other "Guys" seem to take a backseat, I'm not even sure there is much point in having them there. Their contributions seem to be limited to sporadic smart ar$e remarks.

He said on FM104 that they get 1 million downloads a month!! That's a fair achievement in fairness to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jack Thorn

I like their true crime podcasts ... shorter, less banter & less crude jokes by Gordo. I was a huge fan when there were 'conspiracy guys' & not just Gordo now with random guests. Although, I find Edwin Sammon a breath of fresh air ... he IS actually funny. They should have stuck with the original line up or at the very least Paul should have stayed, I found him to be easier to listen to & funny without being crude. Anyway, I recommend their true crime stuff going forward, I think they are running out of steam with the conspiracy stuff. Maybe I am cynical or this may just be a conspiracy about Those Conspiracy Guys ... but ... did Gordo just get rid of Eamonn & Paul so he & Claire (his partner I think) can take over & head off 'crowd funded' to the US for a year?

Jack Thorn wrote: »
    I like their true crime podcasts ... shorter, less banter & less crude jokes by Gordo. I was a huge fan when there were 'conspiracy guys' & not just Gordo now with random guests. Although, I find Edwin Sammon a breath of fresh air ... he IS actually funny. They should have stuck with the original line up or at the very least Paul should have stayed, I found him to be easier to listen to & funny without being crude. Anyway, I recommend their true crime stuff going forward, I think they are running out of steam with the conspiracy stuff. Maybe I am cynical or this may just be a conspiracy about Those Conspiracy Guys ... but ... did Gordo just get rid of Eamonn & Paul so he & Claire (his partner I think) can take over & head off 'crowd funded' to the US for a year?

Paul took time out himself. A lot of the stuff they covered in the past, he just didn't believe in, and he didn't like researching the material etc. So he's only gonna do the podcasts he has an interest in.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Paul took time out himself. A lot of the stuff they covered in the past, he just didn't believe in, and he didn't like researching the material etc. So he's only gonna do the podcasts he has an interest in.

That and he had gotten a new full time job and was under pressure with committements to give up time to the podcast. Gordo on the other hand always stated he wanted the TCGs as his full time gig when he was finished college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jack Thorn

That's a pity, I thought he was the best one ... more intelligent, less crude & definitely funnier. I get that comedians make jokes about taboo, risky subjects to (supposedly) raise awareness of the matter but Gordo just isn't funny. Listen to latest true-crime pcast on Natalie Holloway ... overall it's pretty good ... but the rapey, misogynist comments by him are disturbing. Maybe it's just fun & after all, it's a comedy podcast ... but a comedian he is not, well not a good one anyways. Also, his constant mimicking of Jimmy Savile during that pcast was just creepy & way too many 'jokes' (??) about the victims. I miss the early days of TCG when they (now he) weren't trying so hard to be 'funny' (??). I think Paul was the balance that the 'duo' needed & without him I don't get it anymore. Also, for great true-crime pcasts listen to Casefile (excellent) & Sword And Scale (bit darker at times but intriguing).

Jack Thorn wrote: »
    Also, for great true-crime pcasts listen to Casefile (excellent) & Sword And Scale (bit darker at times but intriguing).

Brill thanks for the podcast recommendations, I love listening to podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Hey guys, just checking in after listening to it for a few more months.
    That's a pity, I thought he was the best one ... more intelligent, less crude & definitely funnier.
    I never thought of myself as prudish ever, but I really find some of Gordo's jokes extremely distasteful. It's almost like he's trying to be a Shock Jock. But the tasteless jokes have to go. And the accents. F**k me. He did pretty much the entire Jimmy Savile show as Jimmy Savile.  And it's not the first show he's done this. We had his best Peter Seller's Italian accent as the Italian Prosecutor in the Amanda Knox episode, and some southern accent in another show. It gets to the point that the podcast is a sideshow to the main event - "the impressions".
    Paul certainly was funny at times, but was dull some of the time as well. Though to be fair to the guy it's hard to be interesting for five straight hours. Claire I think is good. I have heard a few episodes with her and she's got a nice voice, and can be quite funny too. Edwin Sammon quite good as well.
    Can't listen to any of the live hangouts. that description of "just a bunch of losers" was pretty much spot on. It was like the time when Frasier's fan club came around to his house.
    Hey Loughc, if you like podcasts, take down that West Cork about the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder. It is really good. really well put together. It's free on Audible if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Hi everybody,
    They have posted a five hour special about David Icke.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgXCjrZlbE&t=5930s
    I'm about half way through. Unfortunately they have gone off on numerous tangents, and taking haven't really go to the core of David Icke's beliefs as yet. I really wish they would edit out all the in jokes and tangents.

TCG have gone into overdrive pushing TCG Tv and trying to raise money for his year long trip.

It’s a bit cringe as Gordo essentially is giving out that people aren’t Contributing towards his year long trip to America. He’s saying If only everyone who downloaded gave between €1 and €5.

And anyone who comments back as to why they haven’t contributed he ends up almost arguing with them. Someone commented the show isn’t as good since Paul left and he just replied well it’s more successful since he left.

It’s really put me off ever listening to it going forward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement