Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

~~ Iceland megathread ~~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

I reckon if you stayed in the city youd miss the best things about Iceland. Self drive is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

fits wrote: »
    I reckon if you stayed in the city youd miss the best things about Iceland. Self drive is probably the way to go.

Strongly agree.
    Reykjavik is a great city, but it not a city break destination. The countryside is amazing, you would miss so much not seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

going there in June so watching this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Was there over the weekend. Beautiful sites to see but quite bleak looking between them. We did the blue lagoon on the way from the airport and enjoyed it. Very surreal but relaxing. We also did the golden circle on a bus tour. Would highly recommend it. Really enjoyed the sites and learned all about the country from our lovely tour guide. We found the place very expensive, even by Irish stamdards. 2 course dinner out for 2 was €75 - €90. A beer and a wine in a bar was over €20. So overall it's a great place to see but unless you have a big budget go for a short trip. We stayed in "our house" and it was a great low budget option. You couldn't get more central in Reykjavik. It was super clean and warm and owners were fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Also walking/hiking boots and a warm coat gloves and hat were essential! The weather can change quickly and we went from warm sunshine to light snow in about 30 minutes yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi all,just about to book flights for a week end of July. Thinking of flying in, spending a night in reykevik, then hire one of those small van/campervans to drive around and stay in for four nights, then two more nights in Reykevik, where we will probably do another activity or so from there like whale watching. Does this sound like a good plan or would you rent the car/van straight from the airport and hit the road? Also would love to hear opinions on those van/campervans for hire.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

igorbiscan wrote: »
    or would you rent the car/van straight from the airport and hit the road?
    Highly recommend car hire from airport. Its expensive to get into Reykjavik city from Keflavik airport and a car is so handy. I wouldn't be without one in Iceland, even in Reykjavik for a few days. Plus car hire locations in Reykjavik aren't the easiest/cheapest to get to. Hertz have a place near Perlan otherwise it the domestic airport terminal and they are usually more restrictive in availability and opening times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Iceland is stunning - i will be going back soon. There is so much to see and the landscape is breathtaking. Its like being on the moon.

There are lots of kids there and its very child friendly.

Reykjavik isnt too exciting as cities go - a day would be enough there.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deisechap09

Hi Guys,

Travelling to Iceland next Monday for 10 days. Will be renting a car with budget and have just realized my drivers license is in a bit of a state. It has all details I believe will be needed but is simply ragged looking (its after getting a couple of spins in the washing machine!). Has anyone who has rented in Iceland before had any major issues along these lines? Or if someone could fill me in on what info the rental company needs from my license?

I dont think there will be any issues, but am getting a little wary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi all. Myself and my boyfriend are hoping to go to Iceland next year. We are aiming for 7-10 days next February. Would be grateful if anyone who has been there would have any tips. Is that a good time of year to go, is that enough time etc. Also we are unsure whether to rent a jeep and travel around ourselves or book an organised group tour. Any information at all would be much appreciated thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Iceland is a great place for couples to go. It will be very dark in February with not many hours of daylight and most of the roads except near Reykjavik and most of the famous route 1 will be impassible. Jeeps are very expensive to rent and most of the roads where you'll need them will be covered in snow anyway.

Try and stay in a bit of an out the way place instead of staying in Boring oul Reykjavik the whole time :)

Hi thanks for your reply! We were planning on having Reykjavik as our Base but heading off for a couple of days and maybe staying in one or two other places. We had planned to rent a jeep. Do you think we're mad to do this?

What we had planned was to organise some trips before we go and then have a few days to play it by ear when we get there, hoping to go for 9 nights.

dmm82 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply! We were planning on having Reykjavik as our Base but heading off for a couple of days and maybe staying in one or two other places. We had planned to rent a jeep. Do you think we're mad to do this?

What we had planned was to organise some trips before we go and then have a few days to play it by ear when we get there, hoping to go for 9 nights.

I don't think you're mad, it sounds like a fun trip. You can save a few bob by getting the bus to any of the easily accessible places you want to see, then get the jeep after. Try to get a Saturday in Reykjavik if you can

You can see on this map which roads are closed:
    http://www.vegagerdin.is/ferdaupplysingar/faerd-og-vedur/faerd-um-allt-land/island1.html

Tis the height of summer and still quite a few red lines, in February there will be a lot more.

That's great advice thanks so much!! Hoping to get it booked asap so can't wait to go now :) we're planning on doing the golden circle, blue lagoon, whale watching and northern lights trips and also the trip that brings people inside a glacier. Would you have any other recommendations on trips?

dmm82 wrote: »
    That's great advice thanks so much!! Hoping to get it booked asap so can't wait to go now :) we're planning on doing the golden circle, blue lagoon, whale watching and northern lights trips and also the trip that brings people inside a glacier. Would you have any other recommendations on trips?

The whale watching places and blue lagoon will be easy to get to by bus, and will be a waste to have a 100+ quid a day jeep sitting in their car park waiting for you to get back.

I'm not sure which glacier place you are thinking of going to but as far as I remember that could have been near Hofn, if you go that far you might as well go around the whole way to Egillstadir, Akureyri and back down, as long as the roads are ok

Scalded I didn't go snowmobiling, although tis woefully expensive

I overheard something about the whale watching boats being owned by the same crowd who own the whaling boats. Don't know how true it is though

Oh really? God I hope that's not true!! Yeh I think we're going to see how we get on when we get there before we go renting a car. Thanks for all your advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Just returned from Iceland on Sunday. I would definitely recommend renting a car to get around. The scenery when just driving from place to place can be amazing. Not sure if you will be able to drive around the whole island in one week whilst also stopping to enjoy all the natural attractions. Especially as driving conditions be not be great at that time of year.

We did the Golden Circle this day last week which took pretty much the whole day to get around. Gullfoss waterfall was a particular highlight. We went around it clockwise so if you do the same and are feeling peckish towards the end, I would recommend stopping in a town called Selfoss as they have a great restaurant called Surf and Turf. The prices there were reasonable too.

Last Thursday we drove from Reykjavik down along the south coast to a town called Vik approximately 200km away. The black sand beaches were at Vik which are pretty cool however the weather was horrific when we got there so we didn't hang around too long. The scenery driving to Vik however is amazing and on the way you will get to stop at Kerid crater, which is basically a massive hole in the ground after a volcano collapsed in on itself once upon a time. After that is Seljalandsfoss waterfall - this is the famous waterfall that you can walk in behind. Very impressive and looks very cool as you drive towards it because you can see it from miles away. After that is Skogarfoss waterfall which is also amazing, much bigger than Seljalandsfoss - very high and powerful. You can walk up to the river it flows into and even have a dip in if your brave enough however it would probably be extremely cold at that time of year. You can climb up the steps alongside Skogarfoss to see it from the top. The view is amazing. Between Skogarfoss and Vik is a black sand beach where an american military plane crashed decades ago. No road signs for it so you will have to look up the location online. It's easily missed as it requires a turn off onto a gravel road. We tried it but had to turn back as it was very bumpy and our car wasn't insured for off road driving.

Blue Lagoon is ok. A friend of mine went to Iceland recently and said it was the least impressive thing they did. 80% of tourists go there however so you may as well. I preferred the Fontana geothermal baths which are situated on the Golden Circle. Smaller, a bit cheaper and a bit more authentic. They are located in a town called Laugarvatn on the Golden Circle just after Pingvellir National Park.

Food and drink is plentiful in Reykjavik, we didn't spend much time there in the evenings, only went once, however it seemed like a great spot for a night out. My friend went to a bar called Prikid which is where they got the best craic off the locals. My group last week went to a club called Austur which is on the main bar/restaurant street in Reykjavik. We were there at around 11pm though and nights out in Iceland don't really pick up until about 1 or 2am. We didn't stay long as we had snorkeling booked for early next morning. The bar was fairly swanky though, but it was a bit small. We didn't sit town because all the empty tables were reserved! There's a gentleman's club across the road from that then - if you're interested. I don't think stripping is legal in Iceland so I'm not sure how great that place would be!

We went snorkeling on our last day in Pingvellir national park with the Acrtic Adventures company. It was in crystal clear waters (that you can drink!) between two continental plates. This is a bit of a lie however as the plates are some distance apart however on that snorkeling tour you get the best chance to 'touch' two continental plates at the same time. 110e was the cost for the snorkeling however it was a good experience. If you are into diving I would urge you to do it, looking down whilst snorkeling and seeing about 100m under water was amazing, diving down there is probably an incredible experience.

If you are renting a car, I would recommend Lagoon car rental. We went with them as they were the most reasonably priced. However all of them rental places will rip you off as they know tourists come specifically to drive around the island.

Some of my place names may be spelled incorrectly, my apologies if so.

Hi, really enjoyed your post above- lots of great info. Myself and my wife are heading to Iceland for 4 days in a couple of weeks. We have a car rented. With regards the Golden Circle tour, am I right to assume you can just rock up to all these place geyser, waterfalls etc or do you need to book in advance? I'd really like to do the snorkelling tour you did too but my wife isn't a confident swimmer. Was it challenging? (subjective i know!)

Grateful for any advice you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Hi, really enjoyed your post above- lots of great info. Myself and my wife are heading to Iceland for 4 days in a couple of weeks. We have a car rented. With regards the Golden Circle tour, am I right to assume you can just rock up to all these place geyser, waterfalls etc or do you need to book in advance? I'd really like to do the snorkelling tour you did too but my wife isn't a confident swimmer. Was it challenging? (subjective i know!)

Grateful for any advice you might have.

Yes you literally drive up to these places, get out and have a look. If I recall correctly, the only natural attraction we had to pay for was Kerid Crater and it wasn't very expensive. We paid to enter the Fontana thermal baths also, however there are random thermal baths scattered around Iceland that you can simply dip into. We didn't bother looking for any of these but I'm sure a quick Google will give a few locations.

You don't really need to know how to swim for the snorkeling. You are given a buoyancy suit to wear underneath the wet suit so you'll just float face down in the water. There was two guides in the water with us when we did it, one at the front and one at the back so if your wife gets into difficult they will be able to help. The stretch of water that you will be in is quite narrow anyway and you'll find that at the beginning at least you'll be bumping into other people so she certainly won't get isolated out there. Having said that we were warned about taking a wrong turn at one point that would have led to us into an area with a strong current, from which the guides would have been unable to help us. They were very clear about where it was though and made sure we all passed it safely.

Let me now if you need any more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Cool- thanks for the great info! As mentioned we're going for 4 days. Sounds like a tourist trap but my wife assures me we 'must' go to the Blue Lagoon- I suppose it's worth it to tick the box! After that I'd like to do some/all the Golden Circle. We've 2 more days after that so am open to suggestion you might have? I'd definitely like to incorporate some kind of activity e.g. snorkelling. Whale-watching might be interesting too. I don't mind driving, in fact I'm keen to get as much use from the car as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My wife and I have booked a trip for Sept to Iceland also, we have a rough self drive itinerary but wanted to reduce the stay in Reykjavik to one night as we hear its only alright. Looking for suggestions to move nights around, whether we go north up to the penninsula or continue east past Vik.

This is what we CURRENTLY have provisionally

Day 1: Arrive - Reykjavik - Explore City
    Day 2: Reykjavik - Whale Watching Tour
    Day 3: Golden Circle - Stay in Hella
    Day 4: South Coast - Stay in Hella (considering moving this to Vik)
    Day 5: Blue Lagoon - Stay in Grandvik
    Day 6: Fly Home

Ideally we would change up day 2 and keep much the rest of the itinerary, I have heard the whale watching is hit and miss from Reyjavik.

PS. Sorry for piggy backing OP but maybe this will help you too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Myself and wife are
    Planning the same - but for next summer sometime , I would have thought summer would be perfect for Iceland with the long days - jeeps expensive to rent ? Like 100 a day ir more ?

Myself and wife are
    Planning the same - but for next summer sometime , I would have thought summer would be perfect for Iceland with the long days - jeeps expensive to rent ? Like 100 a day ir more ?
    Best place I found was CarsIceland.is they include all the gravel insurance etc... for 5 days it was like 415 for a Suzuki Jimmy 4x4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

fionny wrote: »
    Best place I found was CarsIceland.is they include all the gravel insurance etc... for 5 days it was like 415 for a Suzuki Jimmy 4x4

Pretty decent actually.

Pretty decent actually.
    Ya I dont think its that exhorbitant.

I wonder though if you are staying south do you really need a 4x4 or would a bog standard car suffice for the "popular" things

Ya I dont think its that exhorbitant.

I wonder though if you are staying south do you really need a 4x4 or would a bog standard car suffice for the "popular" things

If you stay along the coast you'll get away with a bog standard one. The link I put up before shows the roads where you need 4x4

Think before renting a '4x4; to go off road. You see loads of these tiny Suzukis which are allowed on the F type roads but 99% of your driving will be on long open roads where it will completely suck being stuck in one of these.

I did 4 days in Iceland in June and want to go back again with my wife and kids next year. We are going to rent a motor home and drive around entire country.

Make sure you add the US Navy DC-3 plane wreckage to your list as well worth the hike from main road to see.

Enjoy - it's a fantastic place.

Good to know on the car we plan on only driving Golden Circle and South Coast, maybe a little of East Iceland but not a huge amount...

Are Jimmy's really uncomforable?

Good to know on the car we plan on only driving Golden Circle and South Coast, maybe a little of East Iceland but not a huge amount...

Are Jimmy's really uncomforable?

This is a Jimmy!

suzuki_jimny_for_sale_in_lahore_5920132412052455162.jpg

• Advertisement

I know but I didnt think they'd be super uncomfortable on normal roads.

Advertisement