Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIDL - Mythos beer for Greek week

Options
  • 01-04-2016 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭

I see LIDL will have Mythos beer on special next week (4th April) as part of their Greek range. €5.99 for 6 x 330ml cans.

Have fond memories of some draught Mythos in the sun over there but wonder how well it will travel...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

The same way most mass produced beer's travel. No problems.

So it will taste as awful as it does in Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So that's no votes for Mythos from the unhelpful beer snob jury then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

odyssey06 wrote: »
    So that's no votes for Mythos from the unhelpful beer snob jury then.
    What were you looking for help with?

Comments from people who've had Mythos in Greece - and liked it, and tried it here or elsewhere abroad for comaprison would be most helpful.
    I don't see how slagging off a beer you've never tried that someone else has expressed a liking for on a beer appreciation forum is helpful. Just don't see it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maybe nobody here has had it, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Glad to hear this, I'm pretty sure I thought it was delicious when i had it there

Zaph wrote: »
    Maybe nobody here has had it, simple as that.

I think you're probbaly right on that score, it's a pretty obscure one. Would prefer to draw a blank than draw fire for liking it though...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've had Mythos in Greece. It's fine, nothing special. There's a well-observed phenomenon of drinkers being disappointed when ordinary lagers like this aren't as enjoyable in Ireland as they were on the Med. I'd imagine the same thing would apply to Mythos. It's not going to be a sensory teleport back to sunny Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'll try it at that price. I've never had it before though so I'll be experiencing something new. I'm no snob.

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not going to be a sensory teleport back to sunny Greece.

As I look out my window at grey skies and bare trees and dripping rain... a sensory teleport (apt phrase) would be most welcome :)
    Aye you're probably right, the enjoyment of the drink over there is down to more than just what's in the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I remember drinking a pint of Amstel on a hot and thirsty day, in the terrace of a small restaurant, on a high cliff, over-looking the sea, on a small island, off the coast of Athens. It was the most delicious crisp, satiating beer I've ever had. I know if I ever want to have it taste that good again (it was a long time ago), I'll have to travel back to that small island, and try to find that small restaurant. Everywhere else, it tastes like muck! Buy it and enjoy it, if not for the taste, for the nostalgia trip. €5.99 is a cheap mistake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a can of Super Bock on the deck of a holiday cottage in Denmark in October with it starting to freeze tasted brilliant due to the company and the occasion, but I don't think it tastes quite the same in Nandos here... definitely agree that the circumstances and situation make quite a lot of the taste in these occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Mythos is back in Lidl this week. I picked some up today, same price as last year.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement