Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide bombing in Pakistan. Christians targeted. Nothing in Irish Media (yet)

Options
  • 28-03-2016 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭

At least 69 killed and 300 wounded. I know it's an Easter Sunday and tomorrow is a Bank Holiday but I would have thought that this would have appeared by now. Especially given the recent events in Europe.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-blast-idUSKCN0WT0HR

Anyway, it is no harm to have a reminder that people outside of our European bubble are also suffering from these things. Such a terrible and senseless (to us) act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Christians are second class citizens in Muslim countries. They live under the dhimmi staus and pay the Jizzah Tax.

Extremist Islamists will not tolerate them fullstop. Remember when ISIS crucified a group of Christians (the ultimate insult to a Christian to make them suffer the same fate as Christ)

Do you know what the Christians did about it? Absolutely nothing, they turned the other cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

At least 69 killed and 300 wounded. I know it's an Easter Sunday and tomorrow is a Bank Holiday but I would have thought that this would have appeared by now. Especially given the recent events in Europe.

Anyway, it is no harm to have a reminder that people outside of our European bubble are also suffering from these things. Such a terrible and senseless (to us) act.

Is there really nothing in the irish media about this? I've been seeing it all day on various sites here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Eh it's right here?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2016/0327/777792-pakistan-blast/
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/dozens-killed-in-suicide-bombing-near-family-park-in-lahore-1.2588892

I'm sure it's on the other news sites too. These are the only two I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE doesn't value any life outside the EU or US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Is there really nothing in the irish media about this? I've been seeing it all day on various sites here

It must be somewhere.... but I don't see it on rte.ie, irishtimes.com, independent.ie or even thejournal.ie . At least not prominently

Also just looked up the websites of irishmirror.ie, sundayworld.com and thestar.ie to cover the red-tops.

Anyway, it's not a competition. I just would have expected to see it by now as it happened a good few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

RTE doesn't value any life outside the EU or US.

RTE doesn't value any life outside Dublin

Simi wrote: »

You are correct. It is also on Irish times site but not mentioned on front page. As I said, its not a competition. I just hadn't seen it mentioned prominently on Irish media (yet). I didn't bother googling or searching every single news outlet. I wasn't looking for a conspiracy.

• Advertisement

You are correct. It is also on Irish times site but not mentioned on front page. As I said, its not a competition. I just hadn't seen it mentioned prominently on Irish media (yet). I didn't bother googling or searching every single news outlet. I wasn't looking for a conspiracy.

What the hell is wrong with you? It doesn't fit the narrative this is why it's not mainstream news. You know this so why in god's name are you asking it on a site like Boards.ie?

jacksie66 wrote: »
    If you didn't bother checking every single media outlet as you say, how can you claim that there's nothing in the Irish media about it? You didn't even look..

I did look. I did not see anything. I was not trying to make an issue out of it. I saw it on a non Irish site. Thought "Oh no, that's terrible news.". Went to my usual Irish news sites to read more about it. Didn't see it there. Had a look here to see if there was any info about it (this site is usually a good source for current news/events). There was nothing so I posted it. I thought that others might then see it if they were interested

What the hell is wrong with you? It doesn't fit the narrative this is why it's not mainstream news. You know this so why in god's name are you asking it on a site like Boards.ie?

Asking? I did not ask anything. :confused: . I merely posted some news about some people who had been killed.

Dear moderators. Can you please edit the title.

I was merely posting a story as I was surprised that it was not on here already. I had not noticed anything mentioned prominently on the Irish media outlets that I normally check. I mentioned incorrectly that it was not in the Irish media and qualified that with an explicit "yet".

I'd be grateful if you can remove the bit about nothing being in the media yet as I wasn't trying to make it out to be a conspiracy or anything.

Thanks

Asking? I did not ask anything. :confused: . I merely posted some news about some people who had been killed.

My apologies for being aggressive. I misinterpreted your intentions.

My apologies for being aggressive. I misinterpreted your intentions.

Yeah, no worries. All good here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

It just seems from the OP you wanted to discuss perceived lack of coverage as opposed to talking about the events themselves.

• Advertisement

It just seems from the OP you wanted to discuss perceived lack of coverage as opposed to talking about the events themselves.

Sorry for giving that impression. I can see how that could have happened

I had mentioned legitimate reasons for there not being mentioned (Easter Sunday and tomorrow being a Bank Holiday). I also said "yet" as I assumed there would be some soon. I was wrong though and it had already been mentioned. I just hadn't seen it. I wanted to get more information about it and this site is usually a good central point for information

Edit: I'm after sidetracking myself. My remark on not seeing it on the media was a side mention in relation to the fact that I was looking for more information from the Irish outlets. I hadn't looked hard enough. That's all. My purpose of the post was to put news on the incident here so that others could be informed or discuss if they wanted to.

Yeah I apologize as well. I know what you mean. The way that there was rolling news coverage of Paris and Brussels but very little on Pakistan or even Turkey a few weeks ago.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. It's been a long day..

Yeah it's ok. Sorry for the mention of the derogatory term above. Will edit the post. Apologies on my end for being a bit smart too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah I apologize as well. I know what you mean. The way that there was rolling news coverage of Paris and Brussels but very little on Pakistan or even Turkey a few weeks ago.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. It's been a long day..

Pakistan is a failed state - you'd never be able to get rid of your flag filter on Facebook were to commemorate every tragedy. Turkey is bombing ISIS and the Kurds, and being bombed back.

Brussels is a more newsworthy news story in the West for many, many reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

Pakistan is a failed state

It's not a failed state, the government have control over nearly all of Pakistan's provinces. The war is located in the northwest of the country, which are the tribal areas and a Taliban stronghold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

At the end of the day we're all humans. It comes across to me that people in the west view people in countries like Nigeria, Turkey and Pakistan as lesser, inferior people.

I don't think that is the case at all. If every horrific death in the countries you mention (and other similar countries) was reported then there would be little space for any other story. Belgium and France were news because of how unusual it is for countries like these to suffer in this way.
    Additionally Irish people visit both places regularly and we have historic links with them that we don't have with Pakistan. We are also part of their club (EU).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

It was on the RTE news website last night you liar. There's so much bad shít in the world, do we need to feel bad about all of it? Do we have to wallow in other people's grief for eternity?

I hate this sort of childish guilt tripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Don't let facts get in the way of people trying so hard to be a bleeding heart.

• Advertisement

Victim Claiming to the ****ing max.

Advertisement