Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over wintered Nuc

Options
  • 19-03-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just starting off in beekeeping so excuse the ignorance, does anyone know where I can source an over wintered Nuc of Irish black bees? Appreciate any assistance.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

dto001 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just starting off in beekeeping so excuse the ignorance, does anyone know where I can source an over wintered Nuc of Irish black bees? Appreciate any assistance.

Cheers

Coolmore bees perhaps ?

Where are you based ??

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

I'm based in North Tipperary. I will try them. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

your safest bet is a nuc from your local Bee club

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

They will be scarce this year , there will be high winter losses in some areas. Nucs will be available from July onwards for 2016 queens

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Bee careful when buying bees - even from some of those bigger sellers with websites. I bought 2 'full' colonies from one such 'reputable' sellers last year.

1 one had bees on three frames - the other had 4.5. The boxes were made of trash timber - eg roofs made from a type of chip board. Complete rip off - I just bought them as I had a oil seed rape site and thought that I'd get a decent crop of honey from them and I'd be able to sell them off later in season. I ended up merging the two as the season went on and didn't get a drop of honey out of them.

They were bought by my local club and came delivered so I didn't want to drive all the way down to cork to return them...

I thought I was buying quality from a reputable seller and I got ripped off with junk boxes and weak bees that just about survives the winter having been merged....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

your safest bet is a nuc from your local Bee club

My first purchase o bees was an over wintered colony from a club member. They were the most unproductive and swarmyist bees I've ever had. I be no doubt they were offloaded by this member as they weren't up to much...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Joe Brennan

Two sad tales who can you trust

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

My first nuc was a little like that. They built up fast but when another association member took a look at them at the end of the season he said he wouldn't be happy with their temperament. The following year they tried swarming in April! They then didn't seem to like going past the queen excluder too much!
    Another nuc I got had smaller numbers but was more productive.

Hoping to requeen the first one this year. Again, they've built up pretty strong this year but I want to get rid of the swarming tendency.

Advertisement