Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Excuses

Options
  • 16-03-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I have just been offered a place but I have a dilemma. I am getting married in the summer and had a honeymoon booked. That's out the window now, I know but I will need to think of an excuse to tell my friends and extended family why we are not going on it anymore. Can someone, who has maybe been in this situation before, offer any advice on an excuse? My company has a site in GB and I was thinking that because I got a promotion I would have to travel back forth. Would that wash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

fish2690 wrote: »
    I have just been offered a place but I have a dilemma. I am getting married in the summer and had a honeymoon booked. That's out the window now, I know but I will need to think of an excuse to tell my friends and extended family why we are not going on it anymore. Can someone, who has maybe been in this situation before, offer any advice on an excuse? My company has a site in GB and I was thinking that because I got a promotion I would have to travel back forth. Would that wash?

You know your family and friends best, so you'll know what's more believable in your circumstances. Personally I would've gone with "the holiday company screwed it up" or just say that you've postponed it because of starting a new job.

It's a tough one. Gutted for you that you can't go too!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Icarus9

Realistically your family and the bulk of your friends will find out you are in the police very quickly, the shifts are near impossible to hide and you wouldn't believe how much people like to gossip that bit of information..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Twist your story as you see fit but try and keep it as honest as possible. You started a new job with the PSNI, that's all they need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

You said you're going on honeymoon, doesn't mean it has to be straight after the wedding ;) just say both of you had stuff come up that youd rather do or spend the money on.

BTW was I talking to you at the medical

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Mop a top wrote: »
    You said you're going on honeymoon, doesn't mean it has to be straight after the wedding ;) just say both of you had stuff come up that youd rather do or spend the money on.

BTW was I talking to you at the medical

Were you leaving as I just arrived?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Plenty of people have a honeymoon at a later date these days. We had our proper honeymoon six months after the wedding as we needed to save. No one batted an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Icarus9 wrote: »
    Realistically your family and the bulk of your friends will find out you are in the police very quickly, the shifts are near impossible to hide and you wouldn't believe how much people like to gossip that bit of information..

What he said...

plus the fact depending on where you are, you will more than likely be walking around in a uniform with a name badge on it for 40+ hours a week. People will know you are in the police...

It's when they know where you live, how you get to work and any patterns you follow that you should be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭notbrazil

fish2690 wrote: »

Others may disagree, and you are certainly the best judge as to whether or not your family and friends should know about what job you're planning on doing, but...

One of the biggest things I've learned in the years since leaving Garnerville is that the vast majority of people are not trying to kill you. Your family and friends are likely to find out anyway, so it might be best just to tell them. In Garnerville, they have a habit of making people paranoid. There's a reason for this; some people are imbeciles with little or no common sense and will do ridiculous things like use their warrant card to get into a nightclub. For the average person, taking some basic steps to safeguard your security is all that is needed. You don't need to live your life in an 'under seige' mentality. Just remember to take the security situation in context, and don't become paranoid before you've even started!

Advertisement