Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand

Options
  • 12-03-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Could people help with the following questions please. I'm travelling to New Zealand next week for a few weeks - first long-haul flight that I've gone on. I'm going:
    Dub - Lon (HTR) T5,
    Lon (HTR) T4 - Kuala Lumpur International (Terminal M)
    Kuala Lumpur International (Terminal I) - Auck

i) Do my bags just get on in Dublin and magically arrive in Auckland - do I have to collect at each airport and recheck?
    ii) Is HTR T5 far from HTR T4?
    iii) Is KLM Terminal M far from Terminal I?
    iv) Do I head for 'connecting flights' or do I have to leave the airport and come back in again - if that makes sense?

v) Can I (and where is the best place to) buy cigars and whiskey - as in will I just get them in Dublin and carry them all the way, or can I get them in Heathrow for the same reason, or get them in KL.

v) Similarly, i often hear about people buying iPhones in airports - is it possible? Is it cheap? which airport?

Thanks everyone - sill questions I know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

(I) Assuming that all the flights are on the same ticket your bags should be checked through to Auckland.

(IV) Yes you follow the signs for connections, again assuming that the flights are all on the one booking. It would be madness to book on separate tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Buying you whiskey before your last leg, you risk running into a security checkpoint that will confiscate your liquids. Hardly worth the hassle.

Your bags should be checked through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SeamusRamos

v) NZ have quite a low limit on tobacco & alcohol products you can take into the country. I know it's just 50 cigarettes, not sure on cigars but it's worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

karlitob wrote: »
    i) Do my bags just get on in Dublin and magically arrive in Auckland - do I have to collect at each airport and recheck?
    ii) Is HTR T5 far from HTR T4?
    iii) Is KLM Terminal M far from Terminal I?
    iv) Do I head for 'connecting flights' or do I have to leave the airport and come back in again - if that makes sense?

v) Can I (and where is the best place to) buy cigars and whiskey - as in will I just get them in Dublin and carry them all the way, or can I get them in Heathrow for the same reason, or get them in KL.

v) Similarly, i often hear about people buying iPhones in airports - is it possible? Is it cheap? which airport?

ii) It's more commonly referred to as LHR and you can put your flight numbers in here to check the connection options (assuming it's all on the same ticket) http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

iPhones are actually pretty much a standard price give or take a bit of currency fluctuation.

The only difference would be if you could buy it with less or no VAT.

Apple don't do discounted prices in different markets.

Also, you could get done for tax for importing one either here or in NZ. Don't walk through customs with a ton of boxed, new electronics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

KL has 2 terminals and usually you just walk down one spoke and across to the next one in the main terminal. There is a train that goes from one terminal to the next if needed.
    There is a small but quite well stocked electronics shop in KL not sure about prices though.
    Dutyfree can be bought in AKL airport on arrival which is handy instead of carrying bags around the different airports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You need to check with your airline at check in whether your bags will go all the way through, depends on your ticket and airline. Low cost airlines don't "interline" with the larger ones...

Just buy your duty free when you get here, you open up a world of hassle by buying it early in your journey.

As a poster above said, you arrive with new boxes of electronics and you could get hit with tax if you can't prove you're leaving soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How are ye guys finding NZ its on my list of places to live, have a baby on the way so will be another 5 years as Im going back to Uni but NZ is the next step then :D

Advertisement