Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork Mechanic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Cork mechanic ... the myth ... the one nobody ever saw or heard of. That person everyone is hoping to appear out of nowhere and fix old cars...

And now living in the midlands,

You got my number, dont be stuck:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Milly33 wrote: »
    dont be silly

I am being realistic. I asked before as well if anyone knows a mechanic in Cork. No response. And it wasn't just me looking for a mechanic. Believe it or not there are zero mechanics working on classic cars in Cork. I had to drive to Kerry to have the car serviced. Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I am being realistic. I asked before as well if anyone knows a mechanic in Cork. No response. And it wasn't just me looking for a mechanic. Believe it or not there are zero mechanics working on classic cars in Cork. I had to drive to Kerry to have the car serviced. Only in Ireland.

Only in Ireland, or only in Cork. Which is it?

I can think of a few, but won't offer any recommendations as I have no first hand experience, just positive feedback from others.

Are you member of any club BTW? They're usually the best source of leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭mountain

Cork mechanic ... the myth ... the one nobody ever saw or heard of. That person everyone is hoping to appear out of nowhere and fix old cars...

I have 2 old volvos, a '63 and a '79 and have never had a problem getting them serviced in the west cork area, maybe the age profile of mechanics down my way is older...

Only in Ireland, or only in Cork. Which is it?

Are you member of any club BTW? They're usually the best source of leads.

Yes, only in Ireland. Do you think in Germany/France/Japan you would have to travel 70km for a good mechanic to have an old car serviced?

No I am not. I was stuck few years back, got in touch with some car club and they gave me a phone number. I was pretty dissapointed at the end so I later fixed it myself. Some time later I got a contact for a guy that seemed to be trustworthy at first, but at the end charged me 10e for fiddling with the carb and told me he had no time. etc. etc. There is a lot of stories and experiences with mechanics in Cork and they are all useless. There, I said it. I really don't have time to be looking for mechanics really. I know a guy who is a mechanic so I use his garage to do some stuff on my car (sometimes with some help) but I am done with mechanics that can't help. And there is a lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sorry I thought you meant it the other way around..My bad I will say sorry just for that thought nothing esle haha... Maybe you are talking more around Cork city.. I swear i have been through the lopps with Cork mechanics and as you found it very hard to get a good one... Tried three jokers and finally had to send her to kildare, madness..

I shall let you know if this chap is any good his a man based in Little Island seems very nice now, mind I havent spoken to him or got a bill yet so we shall wait and see..

Yes, only in Ireland. Do you think in Germany/France/Japan you would have to travel 70km for a good mechanic to have an old car serviced?

No I am not. I was stuck few years back, got in touch with some car club and they gave me a phone number. I was pretty dissapointed at the end so I later fixed it myself. Some time later I got a contact for a guy that seemed to be trustworthy at first, but at the end charged me 10e for fiddling with the carb and told me he had no time. etc. etc. There is a lot of stories and experiences with mechanics in Cork and they are all useless. There, I said it. I really don't have time to be looking for mechanics really. I know a guy who is a mechanic so I use his garage to do some stuff on my car (sometimes with some help) but I am done with mechanics that can't help. And there is a lot of them.

The entire population of Ireland could visit France, Germany, or Japan for the weekend and have little impact. No idea why you have no luck here, I suggest joining a club.

BTW, you'll find it impossible to get a recommendation if you have the preconceived notion that all local mechanics are useless!

C'mon Milly,

Has the mystical mechanic called forth the dark arts of the flat four
    fairies and given new life to this bug, or has it been cast into the
    fiery abyss:eek::P

Haha haven't heard anything from him. He did say that it would more than likely be Friday by the time he looks at it..

To be honest although I love the bint shes the last thing on my mind this week, have Flu (and I would like to point out I still functioned although not properly) and have to move house this week so im like next week be fine like...

Two people have said to me they say a loverly red on down by Castlemartyr at the weekend, tis on done deal that I should buy that..

Step back from the car Milly......now.

You dont need another beetle, you have one thats had some level of

restoration.:confused:

You need to stop listening to people who know nothing about beetles,

and listen to those that do.

If you were even contemplating buying another beetle, why are you spending

money on getting this one looked at.

• Advertisement

What can I say Kadman I have a wondering wonky eye.... Like Jaysus it there was one with Chris Hemsworth pictures all over it Id have me wagen dumped..

Only messing!! I love her shes just peed me off, and just looking like..

To put your mind at ease I also looked this up which I now want for my birthday https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/camper-bus-for-sale/11103714 few I thought it was gone started to panic.. Just incase ye want to start a fund for me..

Ill give the mechanic a call tomorrow for the update...

So going to give the mechanic a shout after lunch I shall be back with an update...

In the mean time, I was surprised to find that the insurance company first sent me the requite for the year for like €305 or something, then I rang to say I wanted to change my address and got the new disc and it was €287 baffling stuff.. Didn't sign any docs or anything

Good luck

Mm tried him but no answer.. Fingers crossed he will call back later

Beginning to get a little worried now as I have tried to call the mechanic three times, sent two messages.Final one this morning asking him to call me back... If not me thinks ill be getting a taxi out there to suss the man out.. Tom O Brien in Little Island anyone heard of him

The entire population of Ireland could visit France, Germany, or Japan for the weekend and have little impact. No idea why you have no luck here, I suggest joining a club.

BTW, you'll find it impossible to get a recommendation if you have the preconceived notion that all local mechanics are useless!

Joining a club? Is that a solution? That's sad.

My opinions about (useless/non-existing) mechanics in Cork are all based on first hand experience. I have seen enough to know how bad the situation is here in Cork. If I can fix it myself I will do it, if I need proper tools/garage I'm lucky to know a guy that lets me use his place (and his 25% discount -or how much- at motor factors). I am quite sure if somebody tells me: "try this guy, he is good" I will be very cautious to believe it.

Joining a club? Is that a solution? That's sad.

My opinions about (useless/non-existing) mechanics in Cork are all based on first hand experience. I have seen enough to know how bad the situation is here in Cork. If I can fix it myself I will do it, if I need proper tools/garage I'm lucky to know a guy that lets me use his place (and his 25% discount -or how much- at motor factors). I am quite sure if somebody tells me: "try this guy, he is good" I will be very cautious to believe it.

I'm beginning to see that this could be an attitude thing. :)

I'm beginning to see that this could be an attitude thing. :)

once in a while there are people asking here on boards for a mechanic (that's good with old) cars in cork. Coincidence? I think not. That's just backing my experiences over the years.

once in a while there are people asking here on boards for a mechanic (that's good with old) cars in cork. Coincidence? I think not. That's just backing my experiences over the years.

Yeah, but they find them. :)

I think tis just the way your post come across Diabhalta, like me with my im so fecking angry posts haha...

Well it is hard as you say.. If this chap ever decides to call me back about the wagen I will let ye know if he is good or not...
    The car was dropped to him 15th Feb and I heard from him the next day. He said it would more than likely be Friday when he got to it, I said grand, there was no panic with it just to keep me updated..And that's the last I heard from him..

Numerous calls today and nothing... A little annoyed now as the insurance is up on the 6th and I could do with a car...

• Advertisement

Yeah, but they find them. :)

I wouldn't be so sure about the positive outcome.
    I think tis just the way your post come across Diabhalta, like me with my im so fecking angry posts haha...

Well it is hard as you say.. If this chap ever decides to call me back about the wagen I will let ye know if he is good or not....

Thanks, but I'll rather stay away from any mechanics in Cork. Waste of time, money and hope.

Old cars are usually very simple and with a good manual almost everything is possible to do in driveway on a sunny day. If it's a carb that needs fine tuning/tappet clearances set, I will take it to Kerry.

Thanks, but I'll rather stay away from any mechanics in Cork. Waste of time, money and hope.

Old cars are usually very simple and with a good manual almost everything is possible to do in driveway on a sunny day. If it's a carb that needs fine tuning/tappet clearances set, I will take it to Kerry.

Say it isn,t so:(, what will the poor bug do now:D

Good old eircooled mechanics, would do the tappets on the driveway too

in about 20 mins tops. Wouldn,t be hauling it to kerry for a day out:p

No no, well we might have found one if he answers his phone... fingers crossed himself is going to call to the garage this morning to see if he can talk to him... If not the man will be added to the black list..

Might not be back for a bit think im getting banned for suggestion OMG that women are sneaky and devious...Mad who'd have thought...

kadman wrote: »
    Say it isn,t so:(, what will the poor bug do now:D

Good old eircooled mechanics, would do the tappets on the driveway too

in about 20 mins tops. Wouldn,t be hauling it to kerry for a day out:p

I have to do my tappets and oil change this weekend. I'll have the 12 of them set and wet before he gets through Macroom. :pac:

haha only banned from the forum silliness.. Well now the mechanics phone is switched off saying out of service..

Beginning to get very suss... One of two things is going to happen..

1. I go down there tomorrow and find the car sitting in the same place and no mechanic.
    2. I go down to find out sneakly people have taken her to be done up.. This was my dream last night..

Will have to wait until tomorrow to find out

haha only banned from the forum silliness.. Well now the mechanics phone is switched off saying out of service..

Beginning to get very suss... One of two things is going to happen..

1. I go down there tomorrow and find the car sitting in the same place and no mechanic.
    2. I go down to find out sneakly people have taken her to be done up.. This was my dream last night..

Will have to wait until tomorrow to find out

Rainman moment..............ot.oh, ot.oh

More likely the borrowers took it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭mountain

As I posted earlier, I have had no problem finding good mechanics willing to work on old cars, couple in west cork area, and another 15 mins from the city,
    you just need to find the right age profile mechanic

Victor Victor!! We have a news update and well me thinks it was better he didn't answer his phone...

So I would like to say haha other mechanic it wasn't fecking straight forward you ***bleep bleep****

One problem lies with the fuel..
    Ethanol in the fuel he said. The old style pipes and what not cannot handle the ethanol that the government decided to pop into the fuel. The kinda silicone pipe or plastic bit connection two pipes was more or less melted away...Hence why not enough fuel was getting to the engine.

In the mean time the accelerator pedal has snapped off the floor
    Theres bad rust on the drivers side (floor) of the car and a big leak behind the drivers side back seat, the phone was a little muffled so not sure but he said this isn't good.

There are lots and lots of small problems with the car at this point... He didn't sounds exactly confident that she is even road worthy at this point..

He will see what he can do with her at the weekend to get her going and then we see what to do..

^^^
    A mechanic that isn't answering his phone.

This is exactly what I don't want to deal with. So pointless to believe somebody actually cares.

• Advertisement

I was kinda on your side Diabhalta but your beginning to sound a bit like a record player...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement