Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

History and Structure of Irish Education Exam for foreign-trained teachers

135

Comments

  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    Please read the thread. At least one person has offered to send notes on if you send them a Private Message.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fl_rach


    Hi All,

    I've emailed a few of you on this thread about sending on notes but have literally just emailed now! If anyone can help and send me any notes/essays that they may have it would be amazing as I'm starting to panic as to how to piece answers together for this exam. Its so wide and varied! Help me guys! :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 22 ✭✭✭ abra1


    Can email some notes this morn if you pm email before 12? I'll b sitting exam on sat too so if you have any extra we could swap?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 folz


    Hi guys I did my schooling in the USA and I really could use some help to get notes and any other advice. My facebook page is <mod snip> if anyone would mind sharing their notes with me.
    thanks a mill


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    folz wrote: »
    Hi guys I did my schooling in the USA and I really could use some help to get notes and any other advice. My facebook page is emer gency foley if anyone would mind sharing their notes with me.
    thanks a mill

    Why not read back over the thread, find the person that has the notes and send them a PM, like they asked?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 folz


    fionac26 wrote: »
    Sure just sent me your email

    Hello,
    Do you have any nnotes for the History of education exam by any chance?

    Thanks,

    Emer


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SonyaFay


    Hi Bridget,

    I know you posted regarding the History and Structure of Irish Education System Exam 2 years ago now, I was just wondering if you have any notes/ essays for it? It would be really much appreciated!

    Thanks very much


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CatD001


    Yes its a bit of a racket and you get to learn lots of useless information which will never be of use in a classroom. Certainly doesn't give anyone a warm fuzzy feeling, or help with behaviour, or help us work towards the understanding we want to achieve in the classroom. I went to the UK for undergraduate studies and followed those with a PGCE. I stayed working as a teacher in the UK for about 3 years after qualifying and came home to do a Masters in Education. There are very few teaching jobs here, and those that are there are usually already filled with the advertising and interview all but a formality.

    As you can imagine I'm so less than impressed with the Irish system hence why I'm now teaching at third level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 fiona123bie


    Hi my husband has to sit this exam next week and just has been so busy with work that he hasn't had a chance to study for it. I would really really appreciate any notes, essays or advice for the exam. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 amcfall21


    Hi all,

    I know this post is really old....but I'm in the same boat, qualified in the North and have just found out I have to sit this aptitude test, I'm doing it in April but not really sure what to be looking at, thought my test sitting days were over! Has anyone any advice for me?

    Many thanks in advance!


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    amcfall21 wrote: »
    Hi all,

    I know this post is really old....but I'm in the same boat, qualified in the North and have just found out I have to sit this aptitude test, I'm doing it in April but not really sure what to be looking at, thought my test sitting days were over! Has anyone any advice for me?

    Many thanks in advance!

    It's not an aptitude test. You will have to study the History of Irish Education. It's not an exam you can just arrive at on the day and do well in. You need to know the facts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 amcfall21


    On the teaching council website they called it an aptitude test, didn't think that was the right term for it. I'm aware background knowledge is necessary but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where is best to look, I'm teaching Monday-Friday so would rather use the most reliable sources.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    John Coolahan's book is fairly comprehensive, but I'm not sure what level of detail they require. Can you access past papers to see the sort of questions?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors


    For my hdip anyhow a good one was the abdication of responsibilty from succesive gvts. and how religious orders stepped in to provide education. ( bout 1850 - today).
    Another one was the setting up of the VEC system (now ETB).
    I have some notes from another poster if yo want to PM me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fionac26


    If you pm me your email I'll send you notes


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 pieterlouw


    Hi Inspector Captoor. Would be so greatful if you could send a desperate chap a copy of your notes for the aptitude test if you still have them.

    Thanks
    pieter


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors


    pieterlouw wrote: »
    Hi Inspector Captoor. Would be so greatful if you could send a desperate chap a copy of your notes for the aptitude test if you still have them.

    Thanks
    pieter

    check recent posters above too, pm your email and theyll send em on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 live123


    Hi

    I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me on their notes/essays as I am doing the exam in April and finding it difficult to know where to start.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 live123


    fionac26 wrote: »
    If you pm me your email I'll send you notes
    Add your reply here.


    Could you send me on your notes also please?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CoyleL


    Hi Fiona I would be very grateful if you could send me on some notes too if you have time , in relation to other posts I have studied abit now and I have noticed recurrent themes
    The new junior cycle framework
    The curricular changes 1960 onwards
    Control and management has changed over a period of time
    Church control etc
    Important legislation since 1990
    Hope that helps some people !
    Louise


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ TheSplendid


    Yaaay, that's done!

    Hope it went OK for everyone. I was surprised at how many of us there were, to be honest I hadn't a clue how many people would be doing this exam, didn't realize there were so many foreign-qualified teachers out there, though I guess it does count Irish teachers who qualified abroad as well.

    Also, would have loved for an extra 30 minutes! But maybe I wrote to much. It's hard to tell how much detail we're supposed to put into those essays.

    In case anyone is curious, here were Saturday's exam subjects:

    Section A

    (1) Critically consider the extent to which you believe the Irish post-primary system has become more secular since the foundation of the state in 1922. You should illustrate the points you make with relevant and complete example(s).

    OR

    (2) Discuss the main deficiencies of the post-primary system as revealed by the Investment in Education report (1966) and critically evaluate the extent to which the policy initiatives since then remedied these shortcomings.

    Section B

    (1) Critically set out and appraise the various significant assessment reforms undertaken at both Junior and enior cycle from 1924 to the present day. You should frame your response at a broad, national level and if you wish at your own particular subject(s) level.

    OR

    (2) Identify and critically treat what you consider to be the most important curricular reform in Irish post-primary education from 1922 to the present day.

    In your answer you should:

    (a) Make a clear case for your choice.
    (b) Critically appraise those notable subsequent developments (intended or otherwise) which followed the introduction of the reform. You should frame your response at a broad, national level and if you wish at your own particular school/subject(s) level.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1 martins8


    Hi TheSplendid!

    Thank you very much for the information you posted.

    I was wondering if the answers to these questions or to every question they can ask at the exam are to find in the book of John Coolahan. Or there is other notes or something to prepare the exam? I mean other books or webpages where the information is avaliable?

    I am still in the registering process (what a nightmare, and soooo long) but I hope that I would be able to sit the exam on November this year or April next year....

    Thank you.

    Martins


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors


    martins8 wrote: »
    Hi TheSplendid!

    Thank you very much for the information you posted.

    I was wondering if the answers to these questions or to every question they can ask at the exam are to find in the book of John Coolahan. Or there is other notes or something to prepare the exam? I mean other books or webpages where the information is avaliable?

    I am still in the registering process (what a nightmare, and soooo long) but I hope that I would be able to sit the exam on November this year or April next year....

    Thank you.

    Martins

    PM sent... check yer private messages MArtins


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aismin88


    Hi everyone!

    I'm sitting the exam on the 19th of November - I've just pm-ed one or two of you about notes, hope you don't mind!

    I was also wondering if someone could advise on how much recent information is necessary - I'm focusing mainly on the J Coolahan book but not sure if I should also be reading a lot of recent articles about the current issues?

    Thanks in advance!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors


    Aismin88 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

    I'm sitting the exam on the 19th of November - I've just pm-ed one or two of you about notes, hope you don't mind!

    I was also wondering if someone could advise on how much recent information is necessary - I'm focusing mainly on the J Coolahan book but not sure if I should also be reading a lot of recent articles about the current issues?

    Thanks in advance!

    I did the exam yonks ago. But I remember being told to have a look at the establishment of VECs so I suppose a paragraph on the changeover to ETBs would be useful.

    Also maybe church vs's state! Divestment of land to the State is a recent enough topic. Maybe back up your statements with quotes from clergy ( Diarmaid Martin!) or govt side (education ministers... or I think Enda Kenny and other taoisigh have started the government's position.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Aismin88


    Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I did the exam yonks ago. But I remember being told to have a look at the establishment of VECs so I suppose a paragraph on the changeover to ETBs would be useful.

    Also maybe church vs's state! Divestment of land to the State is a recent enough topic. Maybe back up your statements with quotes from clergy ( Diarmaid Martin!) or govt side (education ministers... or I think Enda Kenny and other taoisigh have started the government's position.

    Brilliant - thanks a million!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭ evolving_doors


    Aismin88 wrote: »
    Brilliant - thanks a million!

    No Worries


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Jdonnelly5313


    Hi all, I just received an email to say that I have the history of irish education exam in 3 weeks. I just purchased the book but really appreciate any extra help with any notes people have made if anyone could help me out that would be amazing!! If I pass I would love to pass on the favour by passing on the book to anyone that needs it. Many thanks


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭ spurious


    Notes now here:
    http://www.dublin1850.com
    Click on the link on the right-hand side of the page to download.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 dm73


    Hi! Is there anyone out there who has taken the Teaching council of Ireland exam on the History & structure of education in Ireland, who would be willing to give me a few pointers or even have some material or notes that would be of use? I aim to take this exam later in the year and it looks quite tricky from what I am seeing from the teaching council! Yours sincerely,


Advertisement