Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo 5 - Guardians

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Turtyturd wrote: »

Would love to play a halo game that didn't have some variation of a 'noob combo'. Run hit crouch hit is getting very annoying.

Is the AR generally considered overpowered? Doesn't seem to be any reason to use precision weapons other than preference.

Are Req packs the only way to unlock armour etc?

Noob combo? how do you mean? halo was always about getting the shields down, then closing the distance to your attacker with a powerful melee imo?

As for the AR, i wouldnt say its overpowered, more that its actually a viable option for a starting weapon. (that being said, I'm rubbish with it and tend to use the pistol mostly and drop the AR in favour of pretty much anything else as soon as I find it).

Req packs are the only way to get armour, if youre not interested in warzone, sell everything and buy more reqs. and keep using the xp & req boosts.

silver reqs cost 5000 rp, but are garaunteed to have 2 permanent unlocks, the broze are 1250, but only have a chance at unlocking a common or uncommon item. the consensus is that you shouldn't buy gold packs until you have almost exhausted the bronze and silvers, that way you'll have a better shot at getting better items when the time comes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Noob combo used to be plasma pistol and melee, now it's that bloody shoulder charge :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Noob combo? how do you mean? halo was always about getting the shields down, then closing the distance to your attacker with a powerful melee imo?

As for the AR, i wouldnt say its overpowered, more that its actually a viable option for a starting weapon. (that being said, I'm rubbish with it and tend to use the pistol mostly and drop the AR in favour of pretty much anything else as soon as I find it).

Req packs are the only way to get armour, if youre not interested in warzone, sell everything and buy more reqs. and keep using the xp & req boosts.

silver reqs cost 5000 rp, but are garaunteed to have 2 permanent unlocks, the broze are 1250, but only have a chance at unlocking a common or uncommon item. the consensus is that you shouldn't buy gold packs until you have almost exhausted the bronze and silvers, that way you'll have a better shot at getting better items when the time comes.

Cheers for that. Mickeroo knows what I mean, every game seems to have a cheap way of getting kills. Reach's armour lock/smack combo was infuriating at times. Halo for me has always been about keeping distance and picking ppl off with the precision weapons.

Agree that the AR is a viable option now. Used to take a full clip and a melee to kill somebody so it's strange to kill someone with bullets to spare, but like you I am rubbish with it so use the pistol from the off.

Have only tried war zone once or twice so will sell off all the stuff from my packs for now. Have the Helioskrill armour atm (had to google how I unlocked it) which looks class, so not in any rush to change.

I've come to appreciate the warzone idea somewhat, I played a fair old bit of battlefield, and things like spawning on fireteam members etc is sorely missing. Warzone assault is similar to 'rush' from battlefield and its my preferred option as you dont get the massive swings in points due to AI being taken down. Theres a lot of fun to be had there when its going well, but bad teammates can make it a poor experience also.

Another option thats badly needed is to allow you to sell your useless reqs in bulk, theres a plugin available for chrome browser that lets you do it on halowaypoint.com but the in game system limits you to one at a time which is mind numbing.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Noob combo used to be plasma pistol and melee, now it's that bloody shoulder charge :P

that shoulder charge is pretty much the equivalent of panic knifing in call of duty. I doesn't seem to happen to me that often, but maybe I've just been lucky, theres a certain dark part of me that laughs when I hit some guy with it, and you can see him spinning away trying to locate me while I hit them with the last few shots for the kill!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

that shoulder charge is pretty much the equivalent of panic knifing in call of duty. I doesn't seem to happen to me that often, but maybe I've just been lucky, theres a certain dark part of me that laughs when I hit some guy with it, and you can see him spinning away trying to locate me while I hit them with the last few shots for the kill!

What i dislike about it is it encourages people just sprint blindly around the map, that coupled with the heavily nerfed motion tracker compared to other Halo games really pisses me off.

What i dislike about it is it encourages people just sprint blindly around the map, that coupled with the heavily nerfed motion tracker compared to other Halo games really pisses me off.

The motion tracker range is something I've grudgingly accepted at this stage, to the point where I dont really pay as much attention to it as I would in other games. It's frustrating to be killed and not even see where from though, you'll often be taken down by a battle rifle from seemingly nowhere.

I think theres more positives than negatives to be found overall though, its almost certainly my favourite halo multiplayer after Halo 2.

The motion tracker range is something I've grudgingly accepted at this stage, to the point where I dont really pay as much attention to it as I would in other games. It's frustrating to be killed and not even see where from though, you'll often be taken down by a battle rifle from seemingly nowhere.

I think theres more positives than negatives to be found overall though, its almost certainly my favourite halo multiplayer after Halo 2.

Oh yeah dont get me wrong, I love it overall. I do wish the arena maps weren't so samey though, really looking forward to the day the add some classic maps which I'm sure is bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

was just talking about this the other day, maps are a lot more boring now that they have to be fair! Give me the old maps any day. Same goes for Cod, battlefield not so much

Apparenty the update is gone live, didn't have a chance to check yet myself.

They announced a firefight mode at the end of the launch trailer too:

• Advertisement

Nice one, that's me sorted for what I'll be playing for the next few days. It would seem that the paid req pack model for generating funding for tournament prize pools and content packs appears to be going OK. Not splitting the playerbase into the haves / have nots of dlc is great too.

Got the update, 4.6gb. Also got a go of one of the new maps called 'Torque'.

Would agree with a lot of the comments from earlier. They could do away with the motion sensor and it wouldn't make a big difference. I thought it was just so bad because I wasn't used to the speed of the game but having adapted to that it's still useless.

It did need some new maps as a lot of them are samey. Two covenant ship based maps, Eden/empire, and riptide/Fathom all have similar elements. But it also has some really good maps in overgrowth, Pegasus and especially Plaza.

Also love the commendations used. Hard not to get a little smile when you get a perfect or a reversal. I would bring back 'yoink' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

e92335i wrote: »
    Feel this is the only thing that will make me purchase the Xbox one

It's the only reason I bought the original xbox in the first place.
    Will also be looking for a good deal as I really want to keep up with the Halo series.

Got the update, 4.6gb. Also got a go of one of the new maps called 'Torque'.

Would agree with a lot of the comments from earlier. They could do away with the motion sensor and it wouldn't make a big difference. I thought it was just so bad because I wasn't used to the speed of the game but having adapted to that it's still useless.

It did need some new maps as a lot of them are samey. Two covenant ship based maps, Eden/empire, and riptide/Fathom all have similar elements. But it also has some really good maps in overgrowth, Pegasus and especially Plaza.

Also love the commendations used. Hard not to get a little smile when you get a perfect or a reversal. I would bring back 'yoink' though.

Yeah there's even a BXR medal in there if you melee and follow up with a headshot from the BR.

Really enjoying the new arena map. Although it takes the obsession with rising/lowering cover up to 11.

The fuel rod cannon has also been removed from Riptide, used to be handy to stand back and pick off the survivors of the race to get it for a few easy kills. Replaced it with the Hydra Launcher which I can't hit a barn door with but am regularly hit from across the map by.

Really enjoying the new arena map. Although it takes the obsession with rising/lowering cover up to 11.

The fuel rod cannon has also been removed from Riptide, used to be handy to stand back and pick off the survivors of the race to get it for a few easy kills. Replaced it with the Hydra Launcher which I can't hit a barn door with but am regularly hit from across the map by.

Hydra rounds are guided, aim down sights and wait for it to lock on then spam it. I haven't played the new map yet but loving the addition of assault to the arena playlist.

Hydra rounds are guided, aim down sights and wait for it to lock on then spam it. I haven't played the new map yet but loving the addition of assault to the arena playlist.

That would explain that then.

Am also enjoying the rail gun a lot more than 4. Much better weapon this time around, although when you see that blue light a split second before someone hits you with it and know you can't do anything to stop it , it's horrible.

So,

The February season ended and I managed to get as far as platinum in team slayer which I dont think I'll be able to better playing solo, going to concentrate on swat this time I think, had a good run last night and won 5 of the 6 placement matches I played. should know my starting rank this evening. I'm surprised at how well the game as a whole is holding my attention tbh, I think its the fact that its so well balanced, and actually skill based as opposed to who has the better connection / fires the first shot winning every engagement. I've plenty of reversal medals got, so its proof that you can turn around an ambush.

Yeah, I got Gold 3 in FFA yesterday, thought I might get a bit higher as I finished top 3 in almost every game and won 4 of them . I underestimated the requirements for platinum it seems. Probably the highlight out of the ten matches was when there was ten seconds left and i realised shoulder charge was a one hit kill with the hammer:

Has anyone else been having issues with req points and that? After playing a few matches of arena there and only one of them counted towards getting a rank, wasted a RP boost too.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else been having issues with req points and that? After playing a few matches of arena there and only one of them counted towards getting a rank, wasted a RP boost too.

funny you say that, I was using boosts last night but felt that the rewards were pitiful for them, even the rarer ones like gambit:medal count.

funny you say that, I was using boosts last night but felt that the rewards were pitiful for them, even the rarer ones like gambit:medal count.

Yeah i pretty much sell them unless they're guaranteed rewards. The gambit ones you have a chance of getting nothing from them so I just take what ever they're worth instead.

Yeah i pretty much sell them unless they're guaranteed rewards. The gambit ones you have a chance of getting nothing from them so I just take what ever they're worth instead.

dont ask me why i picked 15 as the magic number, but once i have 15 of a req, any others are sold. if its a warthog, I keep the best ones and sell all the trash.

the worst thing about it is that I've gone entire warzone games and never called in a vehicle, I just prefer the run and gun.

Managed to reach Gold 5/6 in team slayer which I was happy enough with considering it was my first season and the kids were 'helping' me out. Not convinced about the matchmaking setup or having promotion based on solely on the teams win/loss, particularly when you get people quitting regularly and scoring less than 5.

Yeah the quitting is a pain, two or three of the matches earlier when I was getting the arena rank it was 3 v 4. There was also a guy afk for 2 or 3 matches straight at one point, presumably farming req points, absolutely sickening.

Yeah the quitting is a pain, two or three of the matches earlier when I was getting the arena rank it was 3 v 4. There was also a guy afk for 2 or 3 matches straight at one point, presumably farming req points, absolutely sickening.

I know it's harsh but people who quit matches should be banned from matchmaking for 30 minutes, the same for AFK guys. Also, if your team goes a man down, that shouldn't count as a loss.At least if they insist on measuring it by wins.

I thought I had a handle on the ranking system, just finished my swat csr, only lost 2 of the 8 games , positive K/D throughout and still only placed mid tier 5 silver? I've placed higher before from worse performances.

I know it's harsh but people who quit matches should be banned from matchmaking for 30 minutes, the same for AFK guys. Also, if your team goes a man down, that shouldn't count as a loss.At least if they insist on measuring it by wins.

I thought I had a handle on the ranking system, just finished my swat csr, only lost 2 of the 8 games , positive K/D throughout and still only placed mid tier 5 silver? I've placed higher before from worse performances.

That's very strange getting silver after a run like that, makes no sense. I'm even more baffled with my gold placing in FFA as when I played today I noticed finishing top 3 actually lets you rank up and doesn't count as a loss as such.

At the moment the bans are only 10 minutes, not much of a deterrent. I actually got one earlier after raging out of the third match in a row with that afk fecker :o

Has to be an Unwritten rule of every Halo game that if you're unfortunate enough to get stuck with someone whose gamer tag includes terms like Snipez or Sn1pa they will be all kinds of sh!te with the sniper rifle, but will spend the game hanging around it's spawn spot, and finish the game with just two melee kills.

Has to be an Unwritten rule of every Halo game that if you're unfortunate enough to get stuck with someone whose gamer tag includes terms like Snipez or Sn1pa they will be all kinds of sh!te with the sniper rifle, but will spend the game hanging around it's spawn spot, and finish the game with just two melee kills.

And betray you if you have the audacity to pick it up before they do.

• Advertisement

They seem to be a lot stricter on the bans this time around. I got one after quitting out of one game due to one of my own teammates causing anyone who went near him to jump all over the place.

Agree they should increase them or move people down a rank if they do it, would be a bit harsh on the winning team to nullify their win because of someone dropping out on the opposition team.

Is there anyway to get a more detailed carnage report? How many times you killed/were killed by a certain player? Your tool of destruction? A list of all your medals/commendations for the game? I was playing on my sons account earlier as he asked me to unlock some armour for him and I got a starkiller (I think?) commendation. I think it was for a certain amount of kills with the Hydra Launcher but am not certain and wanted to check but couldn't find anything.

Also finished the game with a 25/2 k/d score, and running riot....can't even do that on my account. :D

Advertisement