Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Grand- I'm biting the bullet- its a pity there aren't any decent routers on special anywhere- I'm giving up on getting my Netgear kit back- I'm just going to buy whatever the hell I can find today.

By the way- the signal strength of the Compal is fine- its the way it keeps dropping the connection (and not allowing you to reconnect- for a random amount of time- after which it decides to behave again) alongside not always assigning an IP address to devices logging onto it- that are the issue.

I've tried all manner of different things- including a few interesting 40Mhz 5G connections- which threw up warning messages that I was potentially interfering with aviation radar lol........

May get a few powerline adaptors as a stopgap- if I can't find a decent router today.

So it's Nightlink who delivered mine, driver didn't hang around for mine but left a Jiffy bag to put the old one in. Have you tried asking the the UPC reps on here? They might be able to track it down for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

So it's Nightlink who delivered mine, driver didn't hang around for mine but left a Jiffy bag to put the old one in. Have you tried asking the the UPC reps on here? They might be able to track it down for you.
    Mine (Compal modem) is due for delivery tomorrow with Nightline, "I'll have the TC7200 junk ready to go & good riddings to it :p Email from nightline says
    "Don’t forget to pack up your old equipment and the driver can take it off your hands when he drops off your new kit"

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

Had called to cancel, as after last year''s drama I felt that they were not taking me seriously.
    initial call to cancel was picked up by Manilla was offered 4 month discount, not good enough. It needed to be very good for me to stay.No budging . So cancel. Emailed cancel. Received auto email to return equipment. Later received similar text.
    A few days later received a call to the mobile, regarding ' the return of the equipment ' and asked something along the lines of 'could we keep you'. The call was from Ireland. Wanted 9 months half price and received it as I was a long serving customer also received confirmation email of prices and services.
    To be honest it is not really half price, it is the new customer offer for 9 months and full price for 3 months. Roughly, 42% discount for 9 months. 12 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MicksCph

I can beat everyone when it comes to cancellation deals,

I called to cancel the other day and the guy asked me if I was sure, and I said yes.
    He then paused for a second and then said: Oh wait, Micks I can see here that you are actually eligible for 4 months of mobile for free isn't that great?

I said, isn't that something that is there for everyone who has broadband or TV? He then paused again and said, yes but this a great offer.

My reason for cancelling with them is the fact that I had a 30 hour outage last week which resulted in me being on the phone with them for around 6 hours over two days.

First day: They decided to send me a new box after 4 hours on the phone with them. Not at one stage did they bother checking if there was an outage in my area.

Second day: Received the new box at 8.30AM which was very fast (good job!) but they forgot to activate the box, so therefore it didn't work. I then called again, where I got an automated message saying there was an outage in my area and it would be resolved by 11AM - so in theory there was no need for the new box at all.

After numerous attempts of getting them to activate it, I was only told it would take another 48 hours for them do so. If it wasn't for the superb help on their twitter page I would have been without a connection for more than 75 hours do to their mistake. What did I get offered as a compensation? 4 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

On a 45 per month net only contract (since oct 15) got the standard letter to go to 50 eur. Rang and got 20 eur off for 4 months and revert to original price so no increase. Prob could have squeezed more but didn't have patience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

has anyone managed to get the new 360 hub sent to them on a 240mb connection.if so does it work ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

How do I get the desktop version of their site on my mobile? Out if the country and need to sort a deal with them

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Islander13 wrote: »
    On a 45 per month net only contract (since oct 15) got the standard letter to go to 50 eur. Rang and got 20 eur off for 4 months and revert to original price so no increase. Prob could have squeezed more but didn't have patience
    on the same package got offered 25e a month off for 4 months or 10e off for 6 months and no price increase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

BrendanD wrote: »
    on the same package got offered 25e a month off for 4 months or 10e off for 6 months and no price increase

Show off!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

whats the best way to find out how long my current discount lasts

on 20euro a month for 240mb bb and expect it to jump again to 40 soon not sure when though.. also got the 5euro increase email on the 11th feb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Joo0 wrote: »
    Basic Tv as in the 17 channels no box?

have three boxes one is the recording one and broadband basic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Islander13 wrote: »
    BrendanD wrote: »

I think I got a really good deal, with very little effort. I'm on the 240mb Anytime World And Tv Max bundle, and I'm 5 months into a 6 month discount period of €45 per month. It was due to go up to €80 or more next month.

I got through to a guy in Phillipines, who seemed to take €45 as being my ceiling price. After one very little push and a reference to the Vodafone options, he said how about €10 off for six months. I was about to tell him where to stick it, when he confirmed this would be €35 for six months and €45 for the remaining 6 months, which is better than I was hoping for really. I recorded the conversation with them so they can't come back and recant it. The old 'calls will be recorded....' is a double-edged sword.

I got an email confirmation, but it doesn't include any specifics unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

RainyDay wrote: »
    I think I got a really good deal, with very little effort. I'm on the 240mb Anytime World And Tv Max bundle, and I'm 5 months into a 6 month discount period of €45 per month. It was due to go up to €80 or more next month.

I got through to a guy in Phillipines, who seemed to take €45 as being my ceiling price. After one very little push and a reference to the Vodafone options, he said how about €10 off for six months. I was about to tell him where to stick it, when he confirmed this would be €35 for six months and €45 for the remaining 6 months, which is better than I was hoping for really. I recorded the conversation with them so they can't come back and recant it. The old 'calls will be recorded....' is a double-edged sword.

I got an email confirmation, but it doesn't include any specifics unfortunately.

If the above is true it sounds a great deal. However, I suggest you get the full details from them via live chat and save the detail as we are seeing lots of deals being agreed and then what is applied is not what was thought to have been agreed. The rep may have been talking about one part of your package for example. The numbers you have above seem to good to be true.

My own case upgraded BB on 6 mths half price deal, still chasing them daily on live chat for prob 2 wks now for them to activate. Think they had to go back and listen to the call to agree to activate. Been told it takes 24-48 hrs to activate but still waiting.

Bottom line, be very careful to what you agree and keep an eagle eye on your account and bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

My advice to anyone ringing up is to get comfortable! Having to give account details multiple times and explain the reasons I was threatening to cancel over and over is maddening.

Anyway, came away with 6 months half price on my existing 240mb package, so should save €90 compared to pre-price increase or €150 if I hadn't bothered. Well worth the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

I got a similar deal but also upgraded to the 360mb/phone package, 6mth x €30 then 6mth x €60 = €540 as opposed to staying put on 240Mb & paying at €50 x 12mth = €600, so over the next year I save €60 + I have the faster package.
    Only downside for me is I just paid my yearly phone service to blueface last Sept at €149 & the VM deal includes free calls.:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pippip wrote: »
    You can't cancel a direct debit, thats the point of them, only the person who set it up (Virgin) can cancel it.

I've only ever got a good deal with going through the whole cancelation, you can threaten all you want but until you go through with it they know its a bluff. You then have 30days to see what they really can be pushed to.

That's completely wrong. Nobody can set up a direct debit mandate except the account owner.

It is important to understand what a direct debit is. When you set up a direct debit mandate you give the bank permission to allow a company to access your account and they are subject to the rules of the direct debit scheme. You can cancel a direct debit at any time by telling your bank to do so. But remember a direct debit has nothing to do with the contract it is only a method of paying a bill.

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/directdebit/

RainyDay wrote: »

It shouldn't be a question of fortune in relation to specifics. They are legally obliged to give you a considerable amount of specific information in relation to any new agreement in a "durable format"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Didn't get any offer on the phone that's not publically available. I'm on a 120Mb + Phone package (never made a call). With the new increase I'll be paying 600 euro a year for that. Judging by other posters I'm paying more for less. Not in a contract with them at the moment anyway, so they advised to send the cancel email. I'd like a new router, faster service and maybe a little tv. Don't mind paying a little more for that but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

got talking to them via chat. They offered me a 'deal' 240mb bb & tv for 73.50...5 eur more than my price increase :eek:

currently talking to somebody on the phone who doesnt seem to know how to count. painful....so close to cancelling anyway coz they are so inept

ok so i got 6 mths half price and 6 months full price. 12 mth contract though. saved over 200 eur :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

dub45 wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a question of fortune in relation to specifics. They are legally obliged to give you a considerable amount of specific information in relation to any new agreement in a "durable format"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/distance_selling.html
    BLUEYK wrote: »
    If the above is true it sounds a great deal. However, I suggest you get the full details from them via live chat and save the detail as we are seeing lots of deals being agreed and then what is applied is not what was thought to have been agreed. The rep may have been talking about one part of your package for example. The numbers you have above seem to good to be true.

My own case upgraded BB on 6 mths half price deal, still chasing them daily on live chat for prob 2 wks now for them to activate. Think they had to go back and listen to the call to agree to activate. Been told it takes 24-48 hrs to activate but still waiting.

Bottom line, be very careful to what you agree and keep an eagle eye on your account and bills.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm not sure that it would be to my benefit to seek more details on the package at this stage, as that only gives them the opportunity to go back on the agreed deal. It is unfortunate that the fancy MyVirginMedia does not let you see the costs of the current package.

I will absolutely take the advice to keep a close eye on the bills though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

dub45 wrote: »
    That's completely wrong. It is important to understand what a direct debit is. When you set up a direct debit mandate you give the bank permission to allow a company to access your account and they are subject to the rules of the direct debit scheme. You can cancel a direct debit at any time by telling your bank to do so. But remember a direct debit has nothing to do with the contract it is only a method of paying a bill.

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/directdebit/

It's just down to laziness or cunningness on their behalf. I rang up to cancel and got offered 9 months at half price in a 12 month contract. I received an email from Virgin Media an hour or two later inferring that I was signed up for 18 months and had no specifics about my deal. I rang to complain but it falls on deaf years. I'd say they manage to trap a lot of people in longer contracts. Their communication with customers is extraordinarily poor.

If the broadband wasn't the best on the market I'd have left Virgin long ago. Awful company to do business with.

glued wrote: »
    It's just down to laziness or cunningness on their behalf. I rang up to cancel and got offered 9 months at half price in a 12 month contract. I received an email from Virgin Media an hour or two later inferring that I was signed up for 18 months and had no specifics about my deal. I rang to complain but it falls on deaf years. I'd say they manage to trap a lot of people in longer contracts. Their communication with customers is extraordinarily poor.

If the broadband wasn't the best on the market I'd have left Virgin long ago. Awful company to do business with.
    You should email them about the contract length so that you have a record of it.
    I am anticipating chaos in the months ahead when these deals begin to unravel and VM amazingly have "no notes".

In your email to them ask them when you will be getting the information they are legally obliged to give you under the consumer directive. Don't rely on phone conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

Good advice. Anyone have an appropriate email address? My non-specific email came from no-reply@virginmedia.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I bit the bullet last week and sent a cancellation email. First I got an email asking me to make an appointment to collect the equipment. Then a call from the Philippines asking why and if they could do anything to keep me (price and crap broadband). Offered to send an engineer to fix the broadband, bump speed to 240 and half price for 4 month, I said OK.
    Engineer was booked for 2 day later but got a call from Dublin the next day saying if they reset the modem it might fix it, if an engineer called out and found nothing wrong I'd be charged but I was specifically told it would be free. Tested the connection last night, 7MB download speed.

Pack of idiots who can't even communicate internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Currently a 43 minute wait on live chat

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

I just got off phone with loyalty after sending cancellation email a few weeks ago...I said 6 months half price and he said no problem after pretending to check with someone.
    They offered me 4 months half price orginal as well and said no way they could do better. They asked where did I hear about people getting 9 moths half price as well. I could have probably pushed for that but this is my fifth time calling so just wanted it done.

So make sure you say now four moths is good enough as you heard other people got 9 months half price

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

I'm currently on 45 per month which would increase to 50. Called them yesterday and today, got through to Irish call center both times.

1st offer - 40 for 1st 6 months and then 50 for next 6. I said I cannot accept it and I would make savings if I switch provider.

2nd offer - half price for 4 months on my current bundle or new 360 bundle.

I asked to increase it to 6 months, wouldn't budge a bit. Said its the best team leader could offer. Really annoying considering a new customer could get the same offer as a 6/7 year old "loyal" customer. :mad: I asked whether I could talk with the team leader, was told he just joined a meeting :rolleyes:

Try again tomorrow and hope for better luck.. Only if competitions had better speed ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Just off the phone with some dude in the Manilla.

Offered me 4 months half price straight off the bat. I refused and threatened to cancel. He didn't want me to cancel so then offered 6 months half price.

I said I still wasn't happy with that as I would still be paying more than my previous contract at the lower rate.

He then offered 9 months half price after talking to the supervisor.

I then accepted a 12 month contract with 9 months half price. Asked for an email and was given a confirmation ID.

Hopefully it works out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Just off the phone with some dude in the Manilla.

Offered me 4 months half price straight off the bat. I refused and threatened to cancel. He didn't want me to cancel so then offered 6 months half price.

I said I still wasn't happy with that as I would still be paying more than my previous contract at the lower rate.

He then offered 9 months half price after talking to the supervisor.

I then accepted a 12 month contract with 9 months half price. Asked for an email and was given a confirmation ID.

Hopefully it works out :)

This was what I got last month. 4weeks to the day I signed up. Today I get a letter in the door saying it's going up €5 a month. They can f**k off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

got my letter about going up €5 a month too today , and spotted in small print at the end " you can change or cancel your package at any time before 221 march 2016 without paying any penalty or cancellation fees" x2 they can f**k right off !!!!

Advertisement