Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house without planning permision

Options
  • 22-02-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I am considering bidding for a house at auction which was originally an extension of a bigger house but was divided into two houses last year.

The current owner did not apply for planning permission to convert the extension into a separate dwelling. They also only applied to register the house with the land registry last week.

So, if I purchase the house, I in likelihood will need to do this post purchase.

Do you think it would be difficult to get such a planning permission?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get a mortgage for this - are you a cash buyer?

If it is done to standard it should get permission but that is a massive assumption

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

amsbam1 wrote: »
    I am considering bidding for a house at auction which was originally an extension of a bigger house but was divided into two houses last year.

The current owner did not apply for planning permission to convert the extension into a separate dwelling. They also only applied to register the house with the land registry last week.

So, if I purchase the house, I in likelihood will need to do this post purchase.

Does it meet open space requirements?
    Does it meet private open space separation requirements?
    Does the layout comply with the housing standards?
    Does it have enough parking?

And then with the space remaining, does the existing (other) house also comply with the above standards.

Big big risk and you would want to be getting retention before handing over your cash. If you plan to mortgage t then no bank will touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Op take careful note of auction rules. This will be labelled a "problem sale/property" . If your bid is successful, you will have to pay a non refundable deposit and sign the contract of sale immediately after the auction. This differs from a private treaty sale, you are buying it warts and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

amsbam1 wrote: »

What does your solicitor think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

1. check planning website for any permissions granted and refused on the site.
    2. Ring first thing in the morning to your local planning authority to see if its possible to at least speak to someone on the phone if not get a meeting.
    3.Get a good solicitor
    4. I presume your a cash buyer, no permission no mortgage.
    5. Have an engineer at least look at it.
    6. I think doing this with one week to research etc is crazy, if you go ahead with it might be an idea to get someone with auction experience to do bidding for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

Went back to the house this morning with the surveyor and he now thinks that the house is unlikely to get planning permission as a separate dwelling.

Therefore i won't be bidding on this property. Thank you for your comments.

Advertisement