Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design & Graphic Design jobs. Info needed

Options
  • 25-12-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I am looking for some information and guidance with applying for a web and graphic design job. Working in retail has taken its toll and I would like to make use of my college diploma.

Currently I do some freelance work for a local pub/restaurant which involves updating the website which I created in college. I also cover the graphic design for event listings and promotional nights. The owner has just bought another business which needs a website but with 40 hours + a week its hard to complete it. This has made me consider going part time in my current job to focus more on my design work and maybe build up a client base.

I hold a diploma in Digital Media in Ballyfermot. Other than that I have a certificate course completed in Rathmines college.

Could someone tell me the average pay, hours and availability of positions. Would web and graphic designers usually work in an office environment or work from home?

I am aware that my pay might not be as good as it is in my current retail job but I would be willing to take a hit for a job that relates to my interests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Is there a website or different forum with information ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://www.cpl.ie/Home/Salary-Guide-15

Why did you not do it when you left college?

After some research it would seem a good place to start would be with a visually good looking C.V. mainly focusing on my design and print skills. A portfolio in PDF format is also required by most design related companies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Brilliant will give it a look. Thnaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

DarraghR wrote: »
    After some research it would seem a good place to start would be with a visually good looking C.V. mainly focusing on my design and print skills. A portfolio in PDF format is also required by most design related companies

A PDF portfolio is not much use for a web design job. You will need to have an online portfolio with some examples of your work on it. Wordpress can do a quick job for you here but any employer worth their salt will look for this and may hold it against you although if its an entry level position you are after it probably wont matter! Better to build one yourself if you have the necessary HTML/CSS skills.

I faced the exact same problem starting out and know how tough it is, i was lucky enough to get an internship while at college that got my foot in the door but I was a long time trying to make the next step to full time designer from there. Flesh out your portfolio with as many decent quality projects as you can, build a few sites free of charge for friends/local charities etc to get some experience under your belt.

Don't go spending hours on an extravagant V if you haven't got the body of work behind you to show to back it up. See if you can get an internship with a good design agency, it might mean working for buttons like i did but if its what you really want it's a great way to break into the industry

I could include the home page from all of me website designs made in Fireworks in my PDF portfolio. The only live site I have is for a local restaurant/bar but it needs a serious re haul so maybe I should not include it in my portfolio or C.V? www.kestrelinn.ie
    Its quite hard to do freelance design with a 40hr job in retail and come out with the standard I want and am capable of.

An internship would be fine but it would have to be with a wage. So many times I have been tempted to just quit and maybe get a part time job but it would be too hard to live on that wage.

Really appreciate your feedback

DarraghR wrote: »
    I could include the home page from all of me website designs made in Fireworks in my PDF portfolio. The only live site I have is for a local restaurant/bar but it needs a serious re haul so maybe I should not include it in my portfolio or C.V? www.kestrelinn.ie
    Its quite hard to do freelance design with a 40hr job in retail and come out with the standard I want and am capable of.

An internship would be fine but it would have to be with a wage. So many times I have been tempted to just quit and maybe get a part time job but it would be too hard to live on that wage.

Really appreciate your feedback

I work full time (40 hr+ aweek) and still find time to work freelance. That's not the attitude to have at all. If you want it bad enough you'll pu the hours in at the end of the day. I love doing my freelance work, keeps me busy in the evenings and pays for holiday and luxury items i might want. I even find time to go to the gym most nights too so there's plenty of time to put a few small sites together.

I understand not wanting to work for free though, i was paid a small fee during my time but it was less than the dole. stuck it out until something proper came along. wasn't easy. Would have loved to have been in a position to take an unpaid internship in one of the bigger agencies but like that i was out on my own and needed some sort of income to pay my rent.

I'd suggest you reach out to a heap of digital agencies via email and send them your pdf portfolio but make sure its top notch as i can't stress enough how important an online portfolio will be for web design employer.

What sites would be best to display my CV and portfolio? I made a pdf of my portfolio through Active X but think it would also be a good idea to link my portfolio on my CV

I wouldn't link to the pdf, i'd create a Behance account and create separate projects for each of your work case studies. it allows you to show some creativity in how you display things and looks really smart. Takes a bit of time but look at other similar works to your own on the site for inspiration and it will get you going. you can then give prospective employers the link to your Behance account and they can view all your work there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement