Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Look at how road.cc covers the RSA report and contrast with Irish media:
    Ireland sees rise in cycling as a primary form of transport
    http://road.cc/content/news/170866-ireland-sees-rise-cycling-primary-form-transport

Funny how the Irish media missed that bit.

Helmets and hi-viz an afterthought at the end of the road.cc article. Where they belong, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/living-in-a-high-visibility-world/

A light but considered piece, with links to some literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

traprunner wrote: »

I particularly like the line (bristle moustache):
    "It was little more than an item of clothing."

• Advertisement

Someone complained to Bexley Council when the man was apparently dressed as Father Christmas on patrol near Hurst Primary School.

Under the law lollipop crossing patrols must wear reflective clothing when helping school children to cross the street.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/santadressed-lollipop-man-to-face-no-action-after-complaint-is-made-against-him-a3139931.html

It's ok! He was wearing hi-viz OVER his Santa costume. A massacre was avoided.

Comment:
    I think Santa Claus stepping out in the road is more noticeable than a reflective vest!

I hesitate to post this, lest the RSA gets wind, but ...
    A bill recently introduced in the state of Missouri would require anyone riding a bike on lettered county roads – all of Missouri’s rural highways – to fly a fluorescent orange flag. The flag would have to be “not less than fifteen feet above the motorway when the bicycle is standing upright.”
    https://momentummag.com/a-proposed-missouri-bill-would-require-cyclists-to-fly-a-fluorescent-flag/?utm_content=bufferbeaa3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Succinct commentary:
    https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/687401752744849408

Also: orange? Don't they know yellow-green is the only colour to which the retina of the human eye is sensitive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Also: orange? Don't they know yellow-green is the only colour to which the retina of the human eye is sensitive?

I presume that it's to match the prison jump suits many drivers think cyclists should be wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Not quite hi-vis, but in the same ballpark

Could be retitled as 'how to spend as much of your marketing budget as possible on one short and fairly pointless video'

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I saw a guy cycling down Aungier Street a week or 2 ago who had cut strips of hi-vis tape and stuck it to various parts of his bike/clothing. This included taping over his rear reflector. Which is more effective I wonder?

It seemed mad but I guess I did see him, my eyes were drawn to it all, I couldn't look away. If I was cycling at the time I may well have crashed into him or someone else. At what stage do you reach too much hi-vis?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RainyDay wrote: »
    Could be retitled as 'how to spend as much of your marketing budget as possible on one short and fairly pointless video'

Why is McIlroy ther and how does he get to the conema before them, and why is he behind the counter, its all very odd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is McIlroy ther and how does he get to the conema before them, and why is he behind the counter, its all very odd

The Force must have been with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Today I observed a family (mother, father and three kids) all decked out in their high-vis jackets walking to school. It's an urban area... with paths... in broad daylight.

I also observed other people who were not wearing high-vis.

Bit of a boring day really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Raam wrote: »
    Today I observed a family (mother, father and three kids) all decked out in their high-vis jackets walking to school. It's an urban area... with paths... in broad daylight.

Grim

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Today I observed a family (mother, father and three kids) all decked out in their high-vis jackets walking to school. It's an urban area... with paths... in broad daylight....
    The army can now regularly be seen operating with hi-viz vests over their camouflage fatigues! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

CramCycle wrote: »
    Why is McIlroy there
    Because Mork from Morketing in Santander had €80k left in his budget last November and would have been embarrassed to hand it back unspent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Common enough around my area as well. One local school (not my own son's) seem to have a policy of kids arriving wearing hi-vis to school. I see one family with three kids all decked out in their finest RSA approved and branded hi-vis waiting for the bus most mornings. Handy if the bus accidentally mounts the kerb I suppose.:rolleyes:

My son's cub troop also wear hi-vis when out hiking - apparently so they can be head-counted easily, although I would have though their brightly coloured neckerchiefs would serve that purpose. But hey.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Cab redesign:
    367836.png
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/23/revamped-lorry-designs-could-avoid-hundreds-of-cycling-deaths-study-claims

Image there also shows how completely the RSA misrepresents the nature of blind spots in their campaign upthread.

This redesign business (just the extra low window in the the door) in the paper in the UK:
    https://t.co/p95EQNopl4

Industry agin' it.

(Sorry about posting here; this was the thread with the lorry redesign discussion, but it was a bit of a tangent to begin with.)

This again.
    Fianna Fail’s senate spokesperson on justice last week said they wanted to criminalise walking and cycling without high-visibility vests. The call seemed to be mainly referring to rural areas, but did not specify this.

http://irishcycle.com/2016/02/07/make-high-visibility-vests-mandatory-for-walking-and-cycling-says-fianna-fails-senate-spokesperson-on-justice/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From the link above:
    ...and people cycling can be issued with on-the-spot fines using lights in the hours of darkness
    :confused: A misprint I presume!

Not a cyclist but I walk a lot. Last week late in the evening saw a lot of people wearing hi vis vests walking their dogs. We were in the city and walking on paths so are they necessary? Felt a bit reckless just wearing my black fleece.

Like a sheep I got onto the RSA website but the vests are all out of stock....do I really need to purchase one?

Not a cyclist but I walk a lot. Last week late in the evening saw a lot of people wearing hi vis vests walking their dogs. We were in the city and walking on paths so are they necessary? Felt a bit reckless just wearing my black fleece.

Like a sheep I got onto the RSA website but the vests are all out of stock....do I really need to purchase one?
    the questions that should be asked, are:

– What is the evidence that wearing hi-viz is a sensible precaution, and in what circumstances?

– What are the consequences of use of hi-viz for those who don’t wear it?

And finally,

– In a culture which accepts hi-viz wearing as normal and desirable, what is the effect on the safety and well-being of cyclists and pedestrians generally?

http://rdrf.org.uk/2013/10/31/hi-viz-for-cyclists-and-pedestrians-sensible-precaution-or-victim-blaming/
    At town driving speeds, drivers can stop within 10 metres. Are there any circumstances under which you would be visible in hi-viz and invisible without, when that close? Does it help (bends permitting) to be seen 50 or 100 metres away in this situation?

Coupled with the fact that you're walking on segregated footpaths/sidewalks/whatever you want to call them, it's hardly a vital issue in most urban scenarios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I can see it now...

Bob - "What are you in for?"
    Jim - "I murderd somebody Bob, I murdered somebody and I liked it. What are you in for?"
    Bob - "I didn't wear high viz clothing when I went to check on the cattle".

To be called a criminal for not wearing high viz is just bat shít crazy. Would they not just wrap up everybody in bubbles and keep us in a big soft room so we don't harm ourselves? Next you'll be fined for having untied shoe laces, like you could fall and hurt yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I can see it now...

Bob - "What are you in for?"
    Jim - "I murderd somebody Bob, I murdered somebody and I liked it. What are you in for?"
    Bob - "I didn't wear high viz clothing when I went to check on the cattle".

To be called a criminal for not wearing high viz is just bat shít crazy. Would they not just wrap up everybody in bubbles and keep us in a big soft room so we don't harm ourselves? Next you'll be fined for having untied shoe laces, like you could fall and hurt yourself...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1?s=09

At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1?s=09

Mentioned there:
    Press reported that an international safety conference made light of UK & Ireland #HiVis culture.No wonder everyone else in Europe is dead!

Is this just a spoof or did something like that happen? It wouldn't surprise me if some European nations looked askance at our archipelago's obsession with the totemic powers of yellowy-green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Similar discussion arose some time ago in the Athletics forum. If I'm out running around the city at night, I'm always on footpaths and don't bother with hi-vis. Some people are of the mind that I'm putting myself in danger by doing so, because who knows, what if a car on the road was to try avoid hitting something on the road by swerving onto the footpath and driving over me because I'm not wearing high-vis.

• Advertisement

Of course, if you're driving in the city, you should be able to stop when you see something unexpected, or at least swerve and stop immediately after. If you end up leaving the road, Freebie and the Bean-style, maybe you're driving too fast for an urban environment.

Advertisement