Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absinthe: How to successfully ship to Ireland.

• 06-02-2016 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭

Having only got into absinthe recently, I have been frequenting the absinthe forums on the web and have discovered through dedicated absinthe collectors that all of the stuff available for sale as absinthe in Ireland is considered fauxsinthe, mostly Czech and Spanish versions and very little of the French and Swiss brands. I had an incident last week where I purchased a bottle of Mari Mayans (One of my favourite Spanish ones) online from a shipper called Classic Spirits.co.uk who bought from a crowd in Barcelona. It was seized by customs at the UPS Shannon depot as the Mari Mayans exceeded the 70% volume of alcohol cap and no possible way to pay up the excise duty, my bottle deemed to be destroyed.

To get technical, I received a letter from customs stating 'Notice of seizure: Finance Act 2001, Section 142. When I emailed UPS they stated that it was the 70% although the customs don't make this clear. Would I be better shipping from the UK and using a different courier, say DHL as they don't seem to have a 'Terms of Carriage' stating the 70% ABV rule. One of the things on the forum Wormwood Society was advice that absinthe, the best absinthe is generally between 53% to 65%, so maybe I will shop for something in the 65 to 68 percentage if I want it to actually make it to my door. Its so expensive here for the mainly 'It will do' Spanish absinthe, about at least a 38 Euro mark up on Spanish prices, hence, the VAT in both countries, excise tax and shipment zone fees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The customs seizure was for it being alcohol at all - you are not allowed privately import and the seller needs to clear duty in advance. Seeing as you can make poitin here to mid 90s (under the name regulations) I don't see abv% being a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

L1011 wrote: »
    The customs seizure was for it being alcohol at all - you are not allowed privately import and the seller needs to clear duty in advance. Seeing as you can make poitin here to mid 90s (under the name regulations) I don't see abv% being a problem

But why is it available to buy online then and why do other countries not have these problems, there must be a legit way for purchasing spirits online and having it delivered to your door. There is also the ruling that one can import for personal consumption, where is there a mention of a licence there or authorisation to purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

there must be a legit way for purchasing spirits online and having it delivered to your door.
    There is but it's up to the shop to have its tax affairs in order. There's nothing you can do to make that happen.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But why is it available to buy online then and why do other countries not have these problems, there must be a legit way for purchasing spirits online and having it delivered to your door. There is also the ruling that one can import for personal consumption, where is there a mention of a licence there or authorisation to purchase.

Guns and weed are available online for countries where you can freely own them. Doesn't make it legit here

The retailer has to sort the duty payments. Personal imports only apply when actually carrying the items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't see abv% being a problem
    The abv is not a problem legally, but it could be an issue for planes. In airports I have often seen limits of 70% stated, many wrongly think this is a legal issue but its due to the increased flammability of it.

Just like special planes/services are required to ship some batteries due to them being a fire hazard.

I expect that (like batteries) you have to declare it as 70%+ to ship which could cost a lot more.

EDIT:
    http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/6966_Dangerous_Goods_A5_Business_customer_booklet_TAG.pdf

royal mail
    Beverages with an alcohol content above 70% ABV
    Prohibited – UK and international
    Prohibited in UK and international post

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should also consider Master of Malt - I have used them many times in the past to purchase alcohol online and I have nothing but good things to say about their service.

dudara wrote: »
    You should also consider Master of Malt - I have used them many times in the past to purchase alcohol online and I have nothing but good things to say about their service.

cheers for that Dudara, its a lovely selection too mainly of French stuff. :)

Mesrine65 wrote: »

I am infuriated that O'Briens Wine in Galway has no absinthe in stock, I reminded them that they have three advertised on their website and sent off an angry email to them to remedy the situation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I am infuriated that O'Briens Wine in Galway has no absinthe in stock, I reminded them that they have three advertised on their website and sent off an angry email to them to remedy the situation.

Why should they? Just because they have something advertised on their website doesn't mean that every branch will stock every product. The website is there to give you the opportunity to buy online from them. From experience, a lot of their stores aren't huge and there's no way they could stock everything they have online. I'm sure I could go through the list of beers on their website and find quite a few that neither of my two nearest O'Brien's stock. Personally I think you've overreacted somewhat and I would be very surprised if they suddenly started stocking absinthe because they've received an angry e-mail.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Why should they? Just because they have something advertised on their website doesn't mean that every branch will stock every product. The website is there to give you the opportunity to buy online from them. From experience, a lot of their stores aren't huge and there's no way they could stock everything they have online. I'm sure I could go through the list of beers on their website and find quite a few that neither of my two nearest O'Brien's stock. Personally I think you've overreacted somewhat and I would be very surprised if they suddenly started stocking absinthe because they've received an angry e-mail.

In fairness if they advertise it, they should at least have one of the brands in their stores.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They do have it in one of their stores, their online store. They're not advertising that they have absinthe in their stores, they're merely stating that they do have it available online. Why not buy it online from them?

They do have it in one of their stores, their online store. They're not advertising that they have absinthe in their stores, they're merely stating that they do have it available online. Why not buy it online from them?

Just did in the end, opted for the la Fee Parisienne at 60 Euros, the same one is going for 90.99 Euros in the Celtic Whiskey Shop, which is nuts its 31 Euros more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They're not advertising that they have absinthe in their stores
    And all 3 actually do say "Not Available for Store Pickup"

Angry email because you couldn't read their website properly?

You need to calm down what you get infuriated about and how you react to it.

Well my bottle of La Fee Parisienne was delivered this morning, will write a wee report after. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

will write a wee report after.
    Turns yours green, does it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,805 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rubadub wrote: »
    The abv is not a problem legally, but it could be an issue for planes. In airports I have often seen limits of 70% stated, many wrongly think this is a legal issue but its due to the increased flammability of it.

Most drink outlets in Lanzarote sell Stroh's 80, I wonder how many punters are aware it can't legitimately be brought home? Unless they're taking a very long ferry trip :pac:

Of course since the stupid no liquids on carry-on regulations came in all the booze bottles get stuffed into suitcases anyway. There's no way (afaik!) for the guy on the x-ray machine to tell if a bottle is 40%ABV or 80%

Life ain't always empty.

Woo hoo I have a friend bringing me back a bottle tonight from a Spanish airport, I can't remember which one, Madrid or Barcelona, what is the absinthes available generally at these airports, is it mainly the green ones, he couldn't get Mari Mayans.

Here is some of my ratings for the absinthes I have tasted,

Le Diable Jaune 80% vol (Yellow in colour) miniature 4 cl - Not great one of the weaker macerated oil mixes from Spain, no louche when water is added, more or less just heat when tasted so very alcoholic and nothing else really. 2/10

Familia Mari Mayans Absinthe Green 70% vol 70 cl. This is one of my favourites of the macerated oil mixes from Ibiza, Spain. Fruity anise aroma, louches beautifully and the fruity and herbal aroma fills the room, fennel, anise, oranges and various other fruits and herbs. Mari Mayans also has the undoubted kick because of its strength but a very enjoyable drink and a classy looking 70 cl glass bottle. 9/10. 20.90 Euros from Malaga Airport.

Jacques Senaux Absinthe Green 70% vol 70 cl. One of the more widely available absinthes in Ireland which can be got in stores in Galway, Cork and Dublin. Made in the Tarragona region of Spain by the Teichenne distillery, Jacques has a more sharper alcoholic pang than Mari Mayans and was quite expensive in Galway at 54.95 Euros. Its enjoyable enough but not as creamy or as fruity as MM. It gives a nice louche when water is added and the fragrant smells become more pronounced. 6/10

La Fee Parisienne Absinthe 68% vol 70 cl. This is the first one I've tried from France, despite the bad reviews given by regular absinthe drinkers on the web I enjoyed this bottle. The original bottle came in a radioactive looking green colour but the one I got from O'Briens was of a more natural yellow colour. Not as strong with the anise flavour but had an abundance of fruits and herbs in the aroma. The louche was more of a cloudiness rather than the usual louche quality but an enjoyable drink nonetheless. 7/10

Absenta Tunel Green Absinthe 70% vol 1 litre. A Spanish absenta got for me by a friend from Mallorca Airport for 24 Euros. Very similar to Jacques Senaux Green Absinthe, but fruity like Mari Mayans so somewhere in between, creamy fruity after taste and louches to a nice opaque with water added. I recommend using an iced spring water and this gives a nice zest to the drink. After having a considerable amount of shots last night there was no mind numbing hangover today so not too bad. 8/10

All of these drinks I've listed bar the first can be used also as mixers or to make interesting cocktails I would imagine.

I have another friend arriving either today or tomorrow back from Malaga so hopefully I will be sampling another bottle of Mari Mayans. My next absinthe excursion will be on 11th March where I have reserved a bottle of Jade PF 1901 at the Royal Mile Whiskey shop in Edinburgh when I go over there. Jade is supposed to be one of the very best of the French Portarlier region absinthes so looking forward to that.

• Advertisement

Some others I have tried over March.

Apsinthion - Polish Absinthe. A green or vert absinthe from a Swiss recipe but crafted in Poland, 55 % Vol, 50 CL bottle. I picked this up in Stirling Sainsbury's in Scotland for £18 pounds. It has a lovely aniseed taste much like Spanish absenta it gives a nice green creamy louche. I checked the Galway Tesco, Lidl's, Aldi's and none seem to have it in stock which is a pity, I've heard you can get it in some of the Dublin Tescoes. 6/10

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Jade PF 1901 Absinthe Superieure. 68% Vol 70 CL glass bottle. This is the first proper French absinthe I have drunk and probably the most expensive I've splashed out for. The Jade line of absinthe concentrates on the Belle Epoque area of France. This one cost £68 pounds from the Royal Mile Whisky store in Edinburgh. The taste is bitter and robust with a blend of herbs, carob or chocolate smelling, fennel, coriander, wormwood strong but subtle in tone. The drink gives a beautiful creamy louche with water added and the creamy fragrance fills the room a beautiful after-taste and finish to this fine but pricey absinthe, but worth it if you want to find the real deal. 10/10

12109182_10207468032193147_4712032765296898392_n.jpg?oh=5af46d938d4cf7ceca8b8132ad30deb6&oe=577F3B60

Teichenne Black Absinthe. 80% Vol 50 CL Bottle. Spanish absenta which is also the same as Jacques Senaux Black Absinthe. This is very liquorish and aniseed tasting with a strong alcohol bite, not really absinthe but a nice refreshing drink. Louches quite nicely turning a dark creamy purple with water added. 6/10 This was expensive from McCambridges in Galway at 51 Euros for one 50 CL bottle. I talked to one of the owners who said that they get it from the Celtic Whiskey Store in Dublin, the same bottle of Teichenne black absinthe is only 39 Euros from there.

absinthe-teichenne-black-80_600x600.jpg

Took a day trip up to Dublin yesterday to get some Spanish absinthe slightly cheaper. I'm trivially annoyed with the Celtic Whiskey Store/Wine in the Green website as it listed certain bottles in stock but when I got there, there was only about half of them and expensive too. I've no interest in Hapsburg and the overpriced La Fee Parisienne that they have there. So I just got another bottle of the Jacques Senaux absinthe green for 47.99 Euros. I was disappointed that they didn't have the Teichenne Green absinthe so took a walk to Baggot Street Wines who had some in stock at 40 Euros so still cheaper than Galway prices. Will review them as I taste a bit over the next few days.

Absinthe_Green_grande.JPG?v=1412867457

xl_teichenne%20square.jpg

Well bumping this again, a friend brought me back a bottle of Absinto (57% abv) from Portugal, it was alright but more alcoholic than a genuine absinthe 5/10, which has sent me in a quest to find some more again. Since my sojourn to Dublin in May 2016. The band I'm in, the singer got married in the start of June 2016 and we were invited to be the wedding band in London, so I made sure to visit an off licence called Soho Wines and picked up a bottle of Enigma, a blanch clear absinthe that was super strong at 74% abv, it louched to a beautiful opaque white and was wonderfully potent with a gorgeous after taste and a powerful aroma, I think I paid 63 Pounds for this one. 9/10

Absinto from Portugal
    1152.jpg

Jade 1901 (I tried this March 2016)
    Jade_1901.jpg

Enigma Blanche Absinthe.
    Enigma%20Blanche.jpg

Now I'm going over to Scotland for two weeks on the 21st so I have a few shops scouted out to pick up a few bottles, one of my own Christmas treats. I hoping to procure a bottle Pernod Absinthe Superieure which will cost 40 quid but cheaper than Ireland's 66 Euros (68% abv). I want to get a La Fee Blanche bottle (53%), another clear one made in France or maybe Grand Absente (69% abv) also French which has nice reviews rating it similar to the Spanish Mari Mayans.

Will report back after the New Year and I wish you all a jolly season. :)

Well I've ordered a bottle of Pernod Absinthe Superieure Original Recipe from Amazon which I'll be picking up in Dundee when I head over in the 21st, so will report back on this.

absinthe-pernod-recette-traditionelle-new-68-70cl-big.070e8393b128fcb5f2202bc5d53dfaa5.img.jpg

Well I had a wonderful Xmas and New Year with the family and procured my Pernod absinthe at my sisters house and on the way there stopping of at the Drinkmonger in Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh to grab a 20 CL bottle of Jade Esprit Edouard absinthe and a bottle of Grand Absente from France also. My sister also went to Paris for the week and managed to pick me up another bottle of Grande Absente.

48891272_10215463413872692_332268999414906880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b9660085f4cfa9c54c428c4e30fd8786&oe=5CF50803

Pernod Absinthe Original Recipe 68% 70 CL. This drink was extremely nice, nice strong anise and bitter wormwood aroma, colour looks delightfully natural.

On adding water, louche develops pretty strongly and more herbs come to the fore of the aroma with the anise, star anise, fennel, hyssop and lemon and orange peel balm. A damn nice kick to this too at 68% ABV. Mouth feel is nice with the sweet herbs and anise coating the tongue (god how I missed this :) ). There is a nice satisfying finish with a sly dry bitterness but in a lovely way. Having not tried previous edition of Pernod absinthe I give this a 8/10.

The louche of Pernod Absinthe.

49318329_10215542706014946_8247382886827687936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=e11503343c4a69bb5398d032112a5cf1&oe=5CC6D278

Grande Absente 69% 70 CL.

Grand Absente was similar to Pernod although its a oil and macerated mix rather than distilled absinthe. More pasties like than absinthe but a delightful refreshing drink. Bright green in colour with water added it gives a delightful enough louche and similar smelling but not as complex as Pernod although there is a lot of anise and sweet fruity herbs in the taste. It also has a vicious kick at 69% ABV. I can imagine this works great as a mixer or with three or four parts iced spring water and one part absinthe. A fairly satisfying finish to it but more a pasties style than a proper absinthe. a great starter one alright. 7/10.

Jade Esprit Edouard Absinthe 72% 20 CL.

Its a pity there wasn't more of this but this is an incredible absinthe, yellowish green maybe olive in colour the smell uncorked is of funky herbs, anise and subtle potent alcohol. Herbs anise, hyssop, fennel, coriander, subtle cinnamon , wormwood and many other delights.

Water added creates an amazing louche going from green to a bright cream green opalescence. The herb aroma explodes and fills the room, this is a powerful earth moving drink. Mouthfeel is incredibly thick and luscious and finish is a long lasting feeling. One of the very best up there with Jade PF 1901. 10/10.

Now at the back end of January I took a chance again buying absinthe overseas, opting for Alandia.de, an absinthe online site in Germany. I ordered a 50 CL bottle of Jade Blanchette 60% a week last Wednesday and it arrived through my door the following Monday was impressed with that and will post a review shortly, have ordered a litre bottle of Philip Lasala Spanish absinthe at 50% also from Alandia that got great reviews expected this Monday, its an oil and macerate mix but I need something to drink so I don't drink all the good stuff I have just now.

49731865_10215638805217366_7694370517066711040_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=89bfb578a55548e879f2effc50b10878&oe=5CF82968

186_coll-lasala-1323287253.jpg

Well I'm more than halfway through the Jade Blanchette and getting near halfway through my Philippe Lasala absinthe.

Jade Blanchette: 50 CL 60% ABV.
    Made by the Combier Distillery in France. The clear spirit of the blanch supposedly has a yellow tinge but mine is fairly clear. Smell from uncorking: It has that unique Jade wine base smell familiar to Ted Breaux products, sweet herbs, anise, femmel, hyssop and a nice subtle wallop of wormwood. Louching with added mineral water gives a beautiful milky creamy white. Mouthfeel gives a lovely creamy feel and a nice subtle sting from the alcohol, a satisfying slightly bitter aftertaste that is the wormwood.
    Finish is totally satisfying lasting a long time. This is a decent quality absinthe. 9/10.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Interesting thread. Do you go through the burning of sugar cubes on the spoon with holes over every glass?

beertons wrote: »
    Interesting thread. Do you go through the burning of sugar cubes on the spoon with holes over every glass?

No, never bought into the Czech style, I've seen terrible reviews of some of the stuff touted to have more thujone (wormwood) than anything else such as King of Spirits Gold and Hills. Absintheurs state that the burnt sugar and burnt absinthe will ruin the intended taste of the alcohol, like you wouldn't do that with the French or Swiss stuff, maybe some of the novelty coloured Spanish ones. Saying that there is a guy called Martin Zufanek who is distilling good quality absinthe in the Czech Republic, the type for adding chilled water to. A good forum and site if the absinthe and its history intrigues you is the Wormwood Society and Absinthe.se, absinthe.se is run by a Swedish absintheur, who has a nice history on his site and good reviews of absinthe from around the world.

• Advertisement

Advertisement