Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East-West/West-East underground railway line across Dublin

Options
  • 09-02-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

There should be some outlet on this board for views about a cross-city underground line.

It was important enough for successive Governments to spend several millions designing such a route. And although it was pretty clear that the original route didn't seem to be quite right - otherwise it wouldn't have been let die so lightly - it appears now to have been binned.

A possible route via College Green also didn't appear to receive considerable acclaim, from what I gleaned from the late 'Dart underground - Alternative routes' thread. But we shall see how it pans out with the City Council's proposals for pedestrianisation of that area

However, I think we can all agree that a possible cross-city underground route, linking the rail lines in the East and West of the city and bringing the city's busiest areas directly into the mix, is worthy of its' own thread.

There has to be a thread open on this infrastructure forum for such a discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Despite all the important input from different people in that discussion, and Marko P11 is one who readily springs to mind, a man who contributed a huge amount of information to to this board, I think we can now fairly safely say that it wasn't the right project for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

The project was a good idea. All of the information indicated that it would have provided financial, economic and social benefits dramatically exceeded the cost, I vaguely remember figures of 2.5~odd to 1 of benefits vs costs.

The plan was cancelled not because it wasn't a good idea or because it had the wrong routing, but because the government would rather protect day-to-day expenditures than capital investment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another shell thread to go on about your College Green obsession won't change your information being nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

SeanW wrote: »
    The project was a good idea. All of the information indicated that it would have provided financial, economic and social benefits dramatically exceeded the cost, I vaguely remember figures of 2.5~odd to 1 of benefits vs costs.

Since the DRRTS Study came out around 1975, it has been pretty much known that a project such as this is is a good idea: linking up essentially unlinked rail lines in the East of the city (the coastal line) with absolutely unlinked lines in the West (the Cork line's suburban possibilities), and creating more travel options for many more people.

(If we didn't know it then, many cities around the world have subsequently done such projects, usually with considerable success. Those people doing the DRRTS study were up with, or maybe even ahead, of their times).

The Maynooth line subsequently came very significantly into the mix as well, but that probably didn't significantly alter anything about the DRRTS findings: an underground route linking the East and West of the city via a connection between the 'Connolly' line and the 'Heuston' line makes sense for the city.

And the figures which you quote bear this out, though it would be interesting know what potential routes they looked at to arrive at those figures, and how the various routes compared.
    SeanW wrote: »
    The plan was cancelled not because it wasn't a good idea or because it had the wrong routing, but because the government would rather protect day-to-day expenditures than capital investment.

I'm sure we shall eventually see whether that analysis comprehensively summarises the Government's reasons for not proceeding with the project in the form proposed by Irish Rail.

And, now that that's not happening - and the project will have to go into redesign anyway - whether that or some other possibility might be the best for Dublin?

Advertisement