Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cycling Books Thread - Discussion, Reviews, Recommendations Etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

neris wrote: »
    Finished a book on Italian cycling a few weeks back called Pedalere. Unless your mad into the history of Italian cycling and a bit of Italian politics it doesnt come highly recommended.

I want to get the biography of Eddy Mercx to add to my gathering collection of unread cycling books/dust pile. Anyone a recommendation on which author to get? Friebe or Fotherington? I believe Daniel Friebe is working on a biography of Jan Ulrich, wonder will it be the same bland nonsense that most of the top sports biographies tend to be

Pedalere is heavy stuff alright, but we'll written have read first part and will go back to it again. But agree, you'd need to have an interest in history, which I do.

Will be very disappointed if Ulrichs biography was bland. I like Friebe as a writer and podcaster. His mercx book is very good. Cycling biographies tend not to be bland, incomplete or just fiction maybe, but rarely bland. It's too hard a sport for bland people to survive in, you have to be a bit mad to be able to do it professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭furiousox

From the publishers...

The Best There Never Was, Daniel Friebe’s definitive biography of Jan Ullrich, who, along with Lance Armstrong, is one of the most celebrated and vilified cyclists of the modern era, will be published ahead of the 2016 Tour de France.

Non-fiction publisher Robin Harvie said: ‘Jan Ullrich is one of the most contradictory cyclists of our times, and the unpicking of his story has been a life-long fascination for Daniel. Ullrich, the man, myth, hero and villain, breathes more deeply on these pages that he ever did in his astonishing rise and fall.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Finished a book on Italian cycling a few weeks back called Pedalere. Unless your mad into the history of Italian cycling and a bit of Italian politics it doesnt come highly recommended....
    drogdub wrote: »
    Pedalere is heavy stuff alright, but we'll written have read first part and will go back to it again. But agree, you'd need to have an interest in history, which I do....
    It's sitting on one of the bookshelves looking at me right now. I've started it several times but found it tough going and just got spat out the back each time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Took Domestique by Charly Wegelius away with my on a break over Easter. Quickest ive read a book in ages. Brilliant read and should be something any kid wanting to be a pro sports person should read as he cuts out the bull about how fantastic and glamours a lifestyle it is aswell as how financially crap it really is at the ****ty end.

Just started sex, lies and handlebar tape today and already confused by whos he meant to have been sleeping with and had kids with :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Took Domestique by Charly Wegelius away with my on a break over Easter. Quickest ive read a book in ages. Brilliant read and should be something any kid wanting to be a pro sports person should read as he cuts out the bull about how fantastic and glamours a lifestyle it is aswell as how financially crap it really is at the ****ty end.

Just started sex, lies and handlebar tape today and already confused by whos he meant to have been sleeping with and had kids with :rolleyes:

Read domestique as well. Very good read indeed! I am not sure I believe him about the doping. Seemed to be protesting too much that he wasn't! A pro cyclist would be a **** job IMO, unless you are a top star there are definitely better and easier ways to earn money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm reading Domestique as well at the moment. Very interesting, it's different to any other cycling book I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I'm reading Domestique as well at the moment. Very interesting, it's different to any other cycling book I've read.

I must buy it then

Just started this one...

61w%2Bauz4RSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

furiousox wrote: »
    Just started this one...

Finished it last week-a great read-very very enjoyable

finished the book a while back. good read but bizzare lifestyle outside of cycling. jeremy kyle kinda stuff that no pro sports person/celeb could get away with these days

On a non cycling book at the moment but have either, 7 deadly sins or in search of robert miller as my next read

• Advertisement

The postman brought this today: :)

Hinault_zps3dsg0ggh.jpg

Just picked this up for £3.79 on amazon.
    RRP is £20.

51joCflBX9L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The postman brought this today: :)
    I'm on page 264 of the paperback version. Anything about badgers is interesting, even if it doesn't always make sense.
    Some interesting info on the La Vie Claire jersey.
    It is a good read, not my best cycling read, but worth buying.

Finished "in search of robert miller" by richard moore last week. Not a rider i knew alot about but very interesting reading and a personality that wouldnt be suited to todays social media era.

however i have a problem now that my supply of cycling books is down to 1 left so some purchases will have to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Alternative to the usual biographies...
    ...a book set on Kerry’s Iveragh Peninsula, following the cyclists of the Rás Tailteann as they sprint around Ireland in the 1950s

The “night stages” refers to the drinking sessions indulged in by the fearless (or foolhardy) cyclists. This ambitious book embraces some very large themes, among them emigration, the nationalism of young countries, the role of memory in the concept of home, and the nature of the family. As always with Urquhart, the work is also drenched in landscape – here the fields and hedgerows of the Iveragh.

Haven't read it, but very tempted!

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/a-canadian-novel-about-kerry-s-mythic-r%C3%A1s-tailteann-in-the-1950s-1.2272338

however i have a problem now that my supply of cycling books is down to 1 left so some purchases will have to be made

Got my cycling library restocked with some amzaon cheapys (cheap that is till they slap the postage on). Just finished Lantern Rouge. Some interesting stories from guys whod ridden in the last 30-40 years and talked to the author. Like the austrian guy who the race organisers were trying to eliminate but kept making it just hed be 2nd last on each stage.

Not sure what to read next have a choice of - Narco Pantani, 2 Eddy Merxx autobiogs, The Monuments, 7 Deadly sins or the Eagle of Toledo

Got my cycling library restocked with some amzaon cheapys (cheap that is till they slap the postage on). Just finished Lantern Rouge. Some interesting stories from guys whod ridden in the last 30-40 years and talked to the author. Like the austrian guy who the race organisers were trying to eliminate but kept making it just hed be 2nd last on each stage.

Not sure what to read next have a choice of - Narco Pantani, 2 Eddy Merxx autobiogs, The Monuments, 7 Deadly sins or the Eagle of Toledo
    The Eagle of Toledo is heavy going and Bahamontes comes ccross as quite an unappealing character - choose one of the others. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

i Presume the Marco PAntani one is by matt Rendell? excellent book!! if you get a chance, read pedalare pedalare. fantastic read

drogdub wrote: »
    Pedalere is heavy stuff alright, but we'll written have read first part and will go back to it again. But agree, you'd need to have an interest in history, which I do.

i thought it was fantastic, but then again i LOVE italian cycling. have you read man on the run by manuela ronchi? about pantani?

furiousox wrote: »
    Just started this one...

next on my list, as i plan on doing PR sportive next year

• Advertisement

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    i Presume the Marco PAntani one is by matt Rendell? excellent book!! if you get a chance, read pedalare pedalare. fantastic read

Read it a few months back. Heavy n intense but good book.

Read it a few months back. Heavy n intense but good book.

i flew through it. but each to there own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    next on my list, as i plan on doing PR sportive next year
    You will love it..

Brilliant read.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

brownian wrote: »
    By Tim Moore. A truly funny book about cycling the TdF route; lots of good TdF history too. Sorry, no pic. But well worth a read.

I think he also wrote GIROnimo in which he rebuilds an vintage bike and cycles one of the early Giro routes. Good light hearted read.
    I like the Tyler Hamilton book. It is a bit like the Senna film in that you don't need to be into the sport to enjoy it. It's a good story.

New book by David Millar documenting his last season as a pro cyclist.

51ei4I2HkFL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Review here

http://www.wheelsuckers.co.uk/profiles/blogs/book-review-the-racer-by-david-millar

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Looks interesting, by writing so extensively about PED's in his last book he has perhaps earned the right to write about the rest of the pro cycling experience in this publication.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

finished Phil Gaimons book recently, pro cycling on 10$ a day. Its a real good insight on the road from the bottom rung to a World Tour team althou it ends just as he joins Garmin, but very enjoyable book

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just finished "Bernard Hinault and the Fall and Rise of French Cycling" by William Fotheringham. I thought it was a decent read, although I'm not convinced by the need to tie it in with new French stars which he tries to do at the end.

Hunger next up, which I've had for ages but just haven't got around to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

Currently reading 'Lanterne Rouge - The Last Man in the Tour de France' by Max Leonard.
    Very entertaining. Some great stories in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

G1032 wrote: »
    Currently reading 'Lanterne Rouge - The Last Man in the Tour de France' by Max Leonard.
    Very entertaining. Some great stories in it.

Just started reading it myself - happy to give it a +1

Advertisement