Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal blowback Walther PPK?

Options
  • 06-02-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Does anyone know if a quality, metal blowback PPK exists?

I bought a Maruzen (black steel finish one) and it looks pretty good (pretty realistic looking) but when you pick it up, in the hand it's very toy-like, plastic, rattles a lot, lightweight, the magazine is sub-standard (lasted about three fills before the valve went fubar) and the finish is really thin.

I saw there was a metal kit for the Maruzen one, once upon a time, but that looks to be discontinued and I haven't found any in stock (also enormously expensive!)

I saw that Umarex have a quality looking metal one but only in 4.5mm BB, as far as I can see, which is a bit of a shame.

Does anyone know of any other quality metal blowback PPK ? Or any rumours of one to come?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

edi_simes wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a quality, metal blowback PPK exists?

I bought a Maruzen (black steel finish one) and it looks pretty good (pretty realistic looking) but when you pick it up, in the hand it's very toy-like, plastic, rattles a lot, lightweight, the magazine is sub-standard (lasted about three fills before the valve went fubar) and the finish is really thin.

I own(ed) a Maruzen PPK, the OH owns one. Not sure what this rattling business is all about. But to pick up on the rest of what you've said, it's lightweight and very toy-like because of its size and length (or lack there-of). A metal one would not be much different. You wouldn't get any "heft" from it at any rate. In any case, it has lovely recoil because of the materials its made from, which are also much better suited regards gas efficiency for the climate typically found in Ireland & Britain.

As for your magazine; unfortunate, but absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you had a metal slide. Neither myself nor my other half have had that issue with several PPK magazines. The only one that failed in short-order failed because the PPK in question got fried by a smoke grenade that went off inside the same pouch (which incidentally also fried the pouch). One other eventually started leaking, but it was a few years old by that point and well used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 edi_simes

Thanks for the reply Lemming.

I'll grab myself a new mag. Duly noted on the rattling and the mags.

In terms of heft - it's about 2/3 the weight of a real one and I reckon that 300g makes quite a big difference on a gun this small. But when I say toy-like, I mean not in terms of its dimensions (I bought the PPK because I wanted this cool little Bond handgun) but just the overall sense I get from it, if you know what I mean. I have several other pistols, some metal and some ABS but none of them have the same toy-like feeling as this one does: I'll stress that it's a totally subjective thing, so many may not agree. I'm not saying it's rubblish, by the way... I really like it. I just reckon a metal or heavyweight plastic one would be GREAT! I'm surprised there isn't one readily available - maybe there's no demand.

On the subject of finish, the blued steel finish on the version I have is very thin - it's like a blended pain finish and it's rubbing away on the back of the slide and there is a small, bright silver scratch on the slide where it has made contact with an edge - so it's not a durable finish - I might see if I can pick up a plain black or stainless version of the maruzen one - I wonder if the finish is more durable!

Thanks again for the reply....

Still looking for a metal one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭T.C.

Hi Edi,

Such a thing does exist - I have one. The manufacturer's name has varied a bit (it was SY when I bought it, I've seen it under the brand name Xin Da Yang..), but it is a full metal version running on green gas.

When I bought it, the gas system was compatible with the Maruzen, which is just as well because the seals on the magazine (and the 2 futher mags that I bought for it) were very weak in the gas seal department but I did later find some Maruzen mags which worked.

The barrel, which is metal as well, came pre-threaded and fits the Maruzen PPK silencer (which I was able to find as a barrel + silencer upgrade kit). it is available in black or chromed finish... and I believe that they have it in stock on Airsoft Global at the moment. :)

The only caveat I have is that mine is bordering on full-auto at the moment, so I suspect the sear is weak (it is all pot metal), but I haven't had time to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 edi_simes

Thanks for taking the time to answer T.C. I'll take a look - could be just what I'm after. Cheers.
    Edi.

Advertisement