Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling and Bin Bags Abolished and Bin Charges from July!

Options
  • 02-02-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I use Greenstar bags for my refuse. I get quite a lot in there.

It's forbidden in our Charlesland Park/Grove lease terms to keep recycling bins at the front of our houses. And, they are unsightly.

Now Labour's Alan Kelly, on behalf of the Government has signed off on legislation that will see the bags abolished and most likely, additional bin charges.

I'm disgusted at this. I don't want a contract with Greenstar, I don't want to have to drag bins through my house, I don't want to pay additional charges. I was managing my refuse fine despite the price of the recycling bags going up from €2.60 to €3.50 over a few months.

Somebody stop them please!

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-paying-recycling-first-time-bins-2577692-Feb2016/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,699 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Honestly! wrote: »
    I use Greenstar bags for my refuse. I get quite a lot in there.

It's forbidden in our Charlesland Park/Grove lease terms to keep recycling bins at the front of our houses. And, they are unsightly.

Now Labour's Alan Kelly, on behalf of the Government has signed off on legislation that will see the bags abolished and most likely, additional bin charges.

I'm disgusted at this. I don't want a contract with Greenstar, I don't want to have to drag bins through my house, I don't want to pay additional charges. I was managing my refuse fine despite the price of the recycling bags going up from €2.60 to €3.50 over a few months.

Somebody stop them please!

http://www.thejournal.ie/public-paying-recycling-first-time-bins-2577692-Feb2016/

Your vote your choice

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Well you could always take responsibility for your own waste; eliminate, reduce and reuse what you can.

Take the residual recyclables to a recycling centre (Free). That which you still have left can be brought direct to Fassaroe or Ballyogan for disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I lived in the Grove and don't remember any clause of that type - we had our bins out the front as did most of the neighbours. There will be exemptions for places where bins aren't practical e.g. apartments & terraced houses which open directly onto the street but I doubt houses in Charlesland would qualify for that exemption.

Wally Runs wrote: »
    Well you could always take responsibility for your own waste; eliminate, reduce and reuse what you can.

Take the residual recyclables to a recycling centre (Free). That which you still have left can be brought direct to Fassaroe or Ballyogan for disposal.

It's not clear that the recycling centres will remain free, there may be a charge per KG there as well. Besides it's not exactly sustainable for everyone to be individually driving their waste to the recycling centre or dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

I've had bins outside my house for 10 yrs in charlesland as does pretty much everyone else, you don't want bins out there is your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

loyatemu wrote: »
    I lived in the Grove and don't remember any clause of that type - we had our bins out the front as did most of the neighbours. There will be exemptions for places where bins aren't practical e.g. apartments & terraced houses which open directly onto the street but I doubt houses in Charlesland would qualify for that exemption.

Remember it or not, it's in the lease terms. Never was enforced though and won't be enforced...like all the lease terms!

Wally Runs wrote: »

That's genius :rolleyes: Obviously didn't read post where I say I manage my waste.

Very environmentally friendly to drive back and forth to Ballyogan alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Reading that link, one thing jumps out at me, and that it will be no benefit to share bins with neighbours or friends when this is implemented. Main company around here (there are others) are oxygen and the charge €84 per quarter for 3 bins. (Competitor has 4 bins , one for glass). My son has a house not far away, single, wouldn't have a lot of waste., mortgage to manage etc. We are one our own and not a lot of waste either, so one set of bins suffices. Probably replicated throughout the country. So this measure will probably cost us more than at present.

We have a pretty good recycling facility close by but it's not free as posted above.€2 per visit and black rubbish sacks are €6 each. So say you manage to get all your weekly 'waste' into one black sack and visit once a week cost would be over €400 pa. much more expensive than paying a waste disposal company. (A phone call to Oxygen Will reduce the charges to €75 a quarter, same as energy costs can be reduced, so can waste charges, but not anymore by the look of it)

http://www.vandwrecycling.ie/dundalk/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

joeysoap wrote: »
    Reading that link, one thing jumps out at me, and that it will be no benefit to share bins with neighbours or friends when this is implemented.
    You could still avoid the extra standing charge by sharing. Just pay for whatever extra weight is generated by the second householder, which seems fair enough to me.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    We have a pretty good recycling facility close by but it's not free as posted above.€2 per visit and black rubbish sacks are €6 each.
    http://www.vandwrecycling.ie/dundalk/index.html
    That seems to be a privately owned facility in Dundalk. The council run operations in Bray and Ballyogan are free, as are the recycling banks near supermarket car parks etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yes recedite, private as you posted. Fine facility, spotlessly clean, staff on hand to watch for 'illegal' dumping. Cleaner than most 4* hotel car parks. But not free, €2 barrier entry. Would you believe, received my first notification from oxygen today about the new rules. There will be a flat collection charge and variable charges for the 3 bins . Needless to say absolutely no details of actual charges ie cost of bin lifts and cost per kilo of waste, food and recycling. That is obviously a bridge too far at this stage. Most of the correspondence was about setting up an email account no less, and setting up direct debits. There are two chances of me setting up an email account with a bin company. One of them is zero, the other is definitely zero. As for paying by direct debit............

• Advertisement

What an absolute mess Fine Gael Labour made of this. I compost everything and most of the remainder is recycling. Now I've to pay standing charges for a bin I'll fill maybe 6 times a year. Great result for the waste company. As for my car insurance....

Now I've to pay standing charges for a bin I'll fill maybe 6 times a year. Great result for the waste company. As for my car insurance....

But the bin lorry still goes round every week, even if you personally don't put your bin out. That's what the standing charge is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

loyatemu wrote: »
    But the bin lorry still goes round every week, even if you personally don't put your bin out. That's what the standing charge is for.

Yes and the Air Coach travels through the town every hour, every day and I don't pay a standing charge for that. Privatisation of domestic waste services have resulted in extortionate fees.
    And they were planning this for domestic water until people realised what our government were up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

What an absolute mess Fine Gael Labour made of this. I compost everything and most of the remainder is recycling. Now I've to pay standing charges for a bin I'll fill maybe 6 times a year. Great result for the waste company. As for my car insurance....

We're in the same boat in Bray - used to put out a bag maybe 4-5 times a year so a contract with any of the bin companies would be a huge increase in costs, so I did a bit of ringing around and you can dispose of up to 80KG of domestic waste in the greenstar facility in Fassaroe for 20 euro if you bring it there yourself in a car (its much more expensive to bring a trailer unfortunately). Over 80kg and its priced per kg at 235 per tonne, so 23.5 cent a kilo.

Its 30 euro to dispose of a carload over at Ballyogan, not weight limits until next year.

Storing and transporting that much waste is not going to be either pleasant or easy but if you have the space to store it, it seems to be the best option available.

Advertisement