Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes I have noticed irregularities with greyhound and weights it reported but was on unlimited plan so It didn't matter.

I expect illegal dumping will increase again.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭bobgaf

Got an email saying the recent 80 euro top up withdrawal from my card was an error by their billing partner and will be refunded within three working days and that they will make a donation to charity as a result.

Ask them to donate to you. Are they for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It costs them a certain amount to provide a service to lift my bins every week and make a profit on it regardless of what they weigh. Even if I could recycle more they will still charge me at least that amount a month. You'd imagine the 17 quid a month figure they've worked out allows them to empty the bins and make a profit so there'll be no incentive to recycle more either way because they won't be able to collect my bins for less than that . I already recycle what I can. We'll see what happens in July but needless to say I'm certain it's not going to save me money liked it's supposed to.

wiz569 wrote:
    from July you will be charged a set rate per kilo for both landfill waste and recycled waste,the recycled waste charge will be lower to encourage recycling

The recycled weight charge is already zero so how can there be a further incentive to recycle more? If they start charging for the green bin too it's not saving anybody any money its costing us all more. No bin is going to be cheaper to lift regardless of its weight because the cost of sending the truck out to empty it isn't getting cheaper and if we all recycle more that means more recycle lifts are required and more resources to deal with the extra recycling waste which equals more cost. If anybody saves money on the weight of their bin they companies will claw that back some other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

superg wrote: »
    The recycled weight charge is already zero so how can there be a further incentive to recycle more? If they start charging for the green bin too it's not saving anybody any money its costing us all more. No bin is going to be cheaper to lift regardless of its weight because the cost of sending the truck out to empty it isn't getting cheaper and if we all recycle more that means more recycle lifts are required and more resources to deal with the extra recycling waste which equals more cost. If anybody saves money on the weight of their bin they companies will claw that back some other way.

I don't make the laws I just posted what I found

wiz569 wrote:
    I don't make the laws I just posted what I found

The point being that those who pushed this on us are trying to make out it will save us all money if we recycle more, it won't. We'll all most likely be paying more as a result.

superg wrote: »
    The point being that those who pushed this on us are trying to make out it will save us all money if we recycle more, it won't. We'll all most likely be paying more as a result.

I understand, but it will be cheaper to recycle compared to normal waste under the new rules,not compared to now obviously, it will be interesting to see how much their service charge will be

If they start charging for the green bin as well as black people will try and get away with putting in more say heavier waste in to green bin and it will probably be contaminated stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

And they cannot justify the fuel costs as a reason for the price hikes. The diseal in this country hasn't been as this low in over ten years. My local diseal is selling For 1.10 cent per liter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Very depressing thread, this country is getting worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Very depressing thread, this country is getting worse and worse.

Totally agree I think we're living in a very depressed/depressing country at the present time. And with an election on the horizon, a change of government brings no prospect of change or hope. Very sad and very depressing. Off topic I know sorry sorry sorry.....:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

What annoys me is that looking back, whatever we think of water charges or home tax or USC, they were brought in by governments that had their backs against the wall.

This is a government removing choice from the citizens. They don't have to do it - we're already among the best recyclers in Europe (or so I heard on the radio recently).

By delaying it until after the election, they've made it an election issue for me.

The Labour Party will be thrown out with the rest of the rubbish and not in the recycling bin.

Tbh as much as I detest this government, I think this is actually a EU directive

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DomhnallOg

In addition to the cost of fuel other costs for waste companies include processing and disposal costs, investment in bin weighing technology, minimum wage increases, insurance premiums etc. While CPI may be static there are sectors that are experiencing cost increases.
    Waste is a barometer for the economy and the economy in general has improved although not to any extent at an individual level.
    It will be interesting to see how waste companies differentiate their offerings when the new system comes into force in July. For the moment we have to live with the opaque charging schemes on offer. It's not much different to the labyrinth of health insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

wiz569 wrote: »
    Tbh as much as I detest this government, I think this is actually a EU directive

But given that Ireland is already joint third in Europe when it comes to recycling, I can't see any European directive being a problem for us.

When it comes to European directives like abolishing import taxes on cars, the government was well able to work around it. It seems there's no need when it's only citizens' choice that's at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

CityBin doing €170 for the year or €15 per month for current customers. Would like to know what Greyhounds pricing is if anyone has been in touch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

SeanyMc22 wrote: »
    CityBin doing €170 for the year or €15 per month for current customers. Would like to know what Greyhounds pricing is if anyone has been in touch?
    im paying 17 a month with GH.

Environment minister Alan Kelly has signed off on new household bin charges, including the first mandatory fees for green bins. - The Sunday Business Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

EU lobbying for mandatory separate collections too: http://resource.co/article/mandatory-separate-collections-needed-says-eu-report-10798
    i.e. separating recyclables for different collections (paper, glass, metal, plastics, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

If they are going to bring in charges for the green bin mine wont be going out,all paper and recycables will be going into the black bin.no one is taking me for a fool anymore,enough is enough.

If they are going to bring in charges for the green bin mine wont be going out,all paper and recycables will be going into the black bin.no one is taking me for a fool anymore,enough is enough.

- This way it will cost you more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - This way it will cost you more!

No,i will only be paying for one bin,i only have to put my black bin out every 2 or three weeks

No,i will only be paying for one bin,i only have to put my black bin out every 2 or three weeks

If you put your recycling into it you will need to put it out more often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

If you put your recycling into it you will need to put it out more often?

I'd cut off my nose just to spite them, hopefully the recycles in the black bin won't be salvageable, that way they won't be able to make money selling on them on!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Under pay by weight it doesn't matter - you'll be paying over 5x as much to put the items in the black bin. Stupidity of an incredible level, and even worse that you don't seem to understand the basics. If you're willing to make a fool of yourself to make a point, by all means do (applies to van_beano also)

Your bin firm will still have to give you the green bin by law.

van_beano wrote: »
    I'd cut off my nose just to spite them, hopefully the recycles in the black bin won't be salvageable, that way they won't be able to make money selling on them on!

I understand the anger against these charges,I feel the same myself,but in your anger don't end up costing yourself more money in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Will the Bin companies be obliged to report you to the council if they see you are not presenting the required bins, and the council will enquire as to what you are doing to dispose of your rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I understand the anger against these charges,I feel the same myself,but in your anger don't end up costing yourself more money in the long run

I wonder will the likes of Ballymount dump still takes the recycleables for free?

Advertisement