Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound bins: new monthly versus annual charge

Options
  • 10-12-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this is already mentioned somewhere...

Our bin service with Greyhound renews at the beginning of the year. They have informed us that by default our standing charge was changing to a monthly billing of €8 per month. If you want it to remain as an annual charge you have to ring them and explicitly say so (the mail doesn't give an online way of doing this).

However the annual charge is €69.95 versus 12 x 8 = €96 !!

Worth a phone call to save the 26 euro I'd reckon... :D

Lift charges plus annual charge seems to work about the same between the different service providers in our area, but that default change to a higher overall standing charge broken down by month just seemed a bit sneaky... Hope it helps someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

So for full bins it's 70 quid for the year.... is that in dublin area.. currently paying 15.50 a month with greyhound... so that's 170 plus...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭T.C.

Hi there.. I was referring to the standing charge, within the DCC area. Each lift is then a separate charge, €9 for a 240-litre black bin and €3.60 for each brown bin lift in addition to the standing charge.

Doing a rough back of the envelope calculation here I'd say our total charges are around €300 a year, even with as much recycling as we can sensibly handle. So if your total refuse service bill is nearer 170, then I'd say well done my friend.. ;)

I just intended the post to inform anyone who might let their renewal from Greyhound slide into the unread emails but you might be able to do something and save a few quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Email greyhound and ask for the monthly price.I did,and its 17 a month for all bins with no weight excess.
    On a side note,are you sure about 9 and 3.60?They sound like last years prices.

Thanks vandriver, I'll do that.

Those prices were exactly as quoted in the renewal email, sent about 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Greyhound?

Two words: touch / barge pole

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Greyhound?

You don't have to invite them to dinner!As long as they cart your ****e away every 2 weeks,who cares who does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im paying them 17 per month unlimited weight

T.C. wrote: »
    Thanks vandriver, I'll do that.

Those prices were exactly as quoted in the renewal email, sent about 2 weeks ago.
    I think greyhound have many prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Snakey approach in order to grab more money IMO

For those who can't be bothered calling them up I done so via email by forwarfing the email they sent regarding this (contains account number) to the below with the following message:

To: renewals@greyhound.ie

Dear Greyhound,

Please leave this account on Plan 2

Regards,
    eringobragh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

dodzy wrote: »
    Greyhound?

Eh, isn't that three words?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

degsie wrote: »
    Eh, isn't that three words?

I think you might be on to something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wonk

Im paying them 17 per month unlimited weight

is that including or excluding the annual standing charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I live in a terrace in D7 and buy the greyhound bags (so we don't have to drag bins through house and I don't like the look of them at the front.) €11.50 for three and that does us (2 adults, 1 child) for about two months give or take. We are pretty good about our recycling, full car load once a month to the local bring centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

T.C. wrote: »
    Hi there.. I was referring to the standing charge, within the DCC area. Each lift is then a separate charge, €9 for a 240-litre black bin and €3.60 for each brown bin lift in addition to the standing charge.

Doing a rough back of the envelope calculation here I'd say our total charges are around €300 a year, even with as much recycling as we can sensibly handle. So if your total refuse service bill is nearer 170, then I'd say well done my friend.. ;)

I just intended the post to inform anyone who might let their renewal from Greyhound slide into the unread emails but you might be able to do something and save a few quid...

Wow. I'm paying €12 a month to Citybin for unlimited use of all 3 bins. And they have heard of the concept of customer service. I'd never go back to greyhound again after the hassle I had with them to get my old bins collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

vandriver wrote: »
    Email greyhound and ask for the monthly price.I did,and its 17 a month for all bins with no weight excess.
    On a side note,are you sure about 9 and 3.60?They sound like last years prices.

same. no weight excess is key as I've kids in nappies.

wonk wrote: »

Just 17 a month,no standing charge extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Got my renewal notice from Greyhound for Annual charge in DCC area...up to €199 for 2016, from €175 this yr. It was €120 in 2014.
    No weight limits

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sosq

jay0109 wrote: »
    Got my renewal notice from Greyhound for Annual charge in DCC area...up to €199 for 2016, from €175 this yr. It was €120 in 2014.
    No weight limits

Same, €199 in SDCC

Hi Jay and Sosq,

can I please ask what are the details of that 199 renewal please? (standing charge, bin type and sizes, excesses etc)

I just want to see if I can compare like with like. With at least 3 major styles of pricing policy reported here from Greyhound, I'm getting a health-insurance-in-the-90s vibe here; in that multiple policies exist but they won't tell you about 'em unless you know to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sosq

I just rang/e-mail them and asked for price for whole year.

• Advertisement

€199 for regular sized bins (black,green,brown) for a full year, no weights taken into account. All charges included

Thanks guys - I'll tackle them with those numbers on Monday..

Thieving so-and-so's etc etc... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

These were the options we got in August 2015 for DCC area:

OPTION 1: €59.95 Annual Service charge (12 month period) and pay per bin lift
    - Black - €9 per bin lift up as heavy as 25kg and then €0.33 per kg after that
    - Brown - €3.60 per bin up as heavy as 20kg and then €0.24 per kg after that
    - Green – free of charge to lift (once the service charge is paid and there are no monies owed on the account)

OPTION 2: €17.00 per month (to be paid to the account every month for 12 months) This covers the collections of your Black , Brown and Green bins with no weight limits or restrictions.

OPTION 3: €199 for 12 months service for the collections of your black, brown and green bins with no weight limits or restrictions.

We were previously paying €12 per month (no service charge, no weight charges).

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

I thought there were local bye laws from most councils limiting weight of black bin?

Dublin City Council:Waste presented for collection by a holder shall not exceed the
    following weight limits in respect of the indicated waste containers:
    Bag: 15 Kilogrammes
    140 litre wheeled bin:40 Kilogrammes
    240 litre wheeled bin:40 Kilogrammes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

wonk wrote: »

There are no standing charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Be careful about signing upto something ''all in''. From july 16 all waste collection companies have to start charging customers by weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I got an e-mail also from greyhound wanting €199 for 2016 - all in charge but will they try and charge more for weight from July 2016? - that has me worried.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I got an e-mail also from greyhound wanting €199 for 2016 - all in charge but will they try and charge more for weight from July 2016? - that has me worried.

I'm going to ask them that very question. Will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

I just got this from them:
    Option 1: €23.50 Per month. “There are NO weight restrictions & NO annual fee”.

Option 2: €17.00 Per month. “There is a weight limit of 42KG Per month on the Black bin & NO annual fee”..

Option 3: €250 up front for the year. €32.00 savings if you pay up front compared to paying monthly. “There is also NO weight restrictions”

Option 4: Pay Per Lift: €59.95 annual Fee, €9.00 per lift on the Black bin, €3.60 on the Brown Bin and the Green bin is free.

There is a weight limit on the Black bin of 25kilos per lift, charged at €0.33 per kilo after 25KG. Also 20Kilos per lift on the Brown. €0.24 per kilo would be charged over the weight limit.

are they telling everybody slightly different things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Arbie

podge018 wrote: »
    are they telling everybody slightly different things?

When I spoke to them about my renewal they told me they offer different options in different areas.

Advertisement