Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar foot switch with two inputs/one output.

• 29-01-2016 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me. I currently have my setup like so; My guitar is plugged into a Boss ME-80 Effects board, I then run from the Boss ME-80 effects board to a Boss RC-30 Looper, from the RC-30 Looper I run into an amp. I also have a second mic (my main vocal one) plugged straight into the amp as well. The amp has two channels. I use one for the guitar and effects and the second for the mic. In the looper I also have a mic to loop my vocals.
    I was wondering if there was any way to set it up like so; My guitar plugged into a box with two send/returns (I think there right for here?) and then the final output. The guitar would be plugged into the input on the box. In send/return 1(not sure if that is the right terminology) there would be the Boss ME-80 effects board so I can choose to run the guitar though it or not. In the second send/return it would run to the looper. It would all then run out the output and into the amp.
    Another though I had was if the guitar ran into the Boss ME-80 then into a box. In the box I can choose if the guitar signal is sent into the looper or not. Then from that box, through the output, into the amp.
    What I am trying to do is play my guitar (using the ME-80 effects board on it) and choosing if I want my guitar is sent to the looper. When I am playing I sometimes want to bypass the looper with the guitar signal and just record the vocals, but still want to play the guitar and have it come out the amp. I only have one input for the guitar in the amp so I want to be able to play the guitar and choose whether or not to send the guitar into the looper or bypass it, when it is bypassed I would love it to still be coming out through the amp for it to be heard.
    I was wondering if anyone here knows of any pedals out there that let me do this, I would also like to try make the pedal myself if anyone has any experience and would like to share it with a new guy to pedals :).
    I know this is long but I hope someone out here can help me. Thinking of it there is probably a solution that you guys will be banging you head over because I don't know it :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

I'd use two ABY boxes, something like this Leadfoot pedal, one to be used as a A/B selector and the other as a simultaneously 2 input to 1 output.

The connect it up like this:
    Guitar -> Me50 -> A/B1 -> A channel to input 1 of A/B2 -> A/B2 output to amp
    -> B channel to looper to input 2 of A/B2

This gives you a choice between:
    channel A which is guitar, me50 and amp but you'll still be able to hear the looped backing tracks and record vocals
    or channel B which is guitar, me50, looper and amp to record new backing tracks.

Hopefully someone else can confirm that this would work !

edit: double post for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

can't improve that

other than building it yourself?

metal box, two latching PTM switches and a handful of jack sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I dooped too... weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Thanks for the help guys! :) I was wondering, Mad_Dave, is the ABY box any good? Does it produce and noticeable noise when using them in your setup? I am thinking of getting two of them in (hopefully) the near future. Thanks for the help though!!

• Advertisement

Never used that particular pedal myself, but it should be completely passive (you can actually use it without any power supply at all, the battery only operates the LED lights). The EH Switchblade I had (only very slightly more expensive) didn't add any extra noise. A/B boxes in general are pretty simple pieces of kit, so unless you're running multiple amps the cheaper ones are just as good as anything else.

If you wanted to you could get something like this Behringer Hum Destroyer and put it in the chain right in front of the amp, should take care of any general unwanted noise.

Advertisement