Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Supermarket own brand beers !!

• 28-01-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of minimum alcohol pricing etc.

I would like to challenge the beer drinkers to recommend their absolute cheap of the cheap lagers that are actually still drinkable :-)

So I'm talking obscure brands and Supermarket own brands.

Today as part of my experiment I bought

Tesco "L" 4 x 440ml = €2.64
    Tesco "James T Ryan" 4 x 440ml = €3.70

and from Lidl

Excelsior 500ml = €0.75
    Grafenwalder 500ml = €1.05

Will update tomorrow on what they taste like :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I sampled the Tesco own brand beer before and it was horrible stuff.

Good look. I'm following your forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

O'sheas pale ale (Carlow) from Aldi and Grafter (Rye River) via Dunnes are great beers and price points too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Do those cheap Czech beers that Tesco do (Vratislav?) qualify?

They're around €1.30 I think and definitely drinkable enough for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

perlanbacher from lidl especially on the xxl deal is cheap as chips and tasty

edit: started monday i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wrmwit wrote: »
    I sampled the Tesco own brand beer before and it was horrible stuff.
    my tesco has at least 5 own brands of beer.

If people are claiming beers are horrible I would also like to hear what they usually drink, and other stuff they think is horrible. or another beer it reminded them of

e.g. it would be little help saying tesco own brand easi singles are horrible if you also think the originals are horrible.

I have had the 2 tesco "james t ryans" and thought they compared favourably to what I presume they have set out to compete with, the mainstream bland beers like heineken, bud, carlsberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Also to add Grafters pale ale from Rye River for Dinner Stores for 1.95!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

rubadub wrote: »
    my tesco has at least 5 own brands of beer.

If people are claiming beers are horrible I would also like to hear what they usually drink, and other stuff they think is horrible. or another beer it reminded them of

e.g. it would be little help saying tesco own brand easi singles are horrible if you also think the originals are horrible.

I have had the 2 tesco "james t ryans" and thought they compared favourably to what I presume they have set out to compete with, the mainstream bland beers like heineken, bud, carlsberg.

It was the james t ryans beer I had last year. I was curious. I normally drink craft beer, even when I'm out. I avoid Heineken, Bud and Carlsberg where I can because I don't like them. They taste acidic compared to the craft beer. Unless I'm at a gig where I don't have a choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

The Tesco "L" is not great. Its quite metalic and a bit nasty. Will not be buying it again.
    The Tesco "James T Ryan" is pretty tasty. Reminded me of Molson Canadian, a little bit of Wheat and hops, but not overpowering and maybe even a better balance than Molson Canadian.

** Note : Tesco cans are 440ml not the usual 500ml and you have to buy them in multiples of 4, to get the best price.

Will be testing Lidl and Dunness offerings this week.

Just to answer some other posters. Budweiser or Molson Canadian would probably be my beers of choice were I not experimenting with Supermarket own brands. So I guess I like a light refreshing lager as opposed to anything malty or heavily flavoured with Hops etc.

So this is my opinion after testing out 4 cans of Tesco "L" and 4 cans of Tesco "James T Ryan"

The Tesco "L" is not great. Its quite metalic and a bit nasty. Will not be buying it again.
    The Tesco "James T Ryan" is pretty tasty. Reminded me of Molson Canadian, a little bit of Wheat and hops, but not overpowering and maybe even a better balance than Molson Canadian.

** Note : Tesco cans are 440ml not the usual 500ml and you have to buy them in multiples of 4, to get the best price.

Just to answer some other posters. Budweiser or Molson Canadian would probably be my beers of choice were I not experimenting with Supermarket own brands. So I guess I like a light refreshing lager as opposed to anything malty or heavily flavoured with Hops etc.

oblivious wrote: »
    Also to add Grafters pale ale from Rye River for Dinner Stores for 1.95!

Will test out this Grafters Pale Ale .. you are the 2nd person to recommend it now.

But €1.95 for 500ml is the same price as you will be paying for any of the mainstream brands so it doesn't really achieve what was my original aim eg. to find a decent bargain lager or at least the best of the cheap stuff. The price point I am now looking at seems to be hovering around the €1 for 500ml.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, although at €1.30 its kind of at the top end of the price scale.
    Plan on trying out the traditional cheapies like Dutch Gold, Royal Dutch, Tennants etc. as well. These can be had for slightly above the magic €1 per can with special offers in some outlets. So nice to see how they compare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a former Tennants drinker (I am from Donegal, its allowed...) I wouldn't even consider it to be honest.

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Will test out this Grafters Pale Ale .. you are the 2nd person to recommend it now.

But €1.95 for 500ml is the same price as you will be paying for any of the mainstream brands so it doesn't really achieve what was my original aim eg. to find a decent bargain lager or at least the best of the cheap stuff. The price point I am now looking at seems to be hovering around the €1 for 500ml.

Was in Dunnes Stores this evening. Grafters Pale Ale bottles, 500ml €1.99, but was all sold out :mad:

Got myself a few cans of

Dunnes Stores own brand Lager 500ml = €0.98
    Germania Pilsner 500ml = €1.15

Will be drinking them over the next few nights will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Carling Black Label.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

perlanbacher from lidl especially on the xxl deal is cheap as chips and tasty

edit: started monday i think.

but gives you some head the next morning if you drink a good few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At that level of the market, it's got to be Perlenbacher or, in a pinch, Tuborg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had a few bottles of Grafters IPA last night, a Rye River brew that I saw in Dunnes. Disgracefully poor stuff, not worth trying again.

Had a few bottles of Grafters IPA last night, a Rye River brew that I saw in Dunnes. Disgracefully poor stuff, not worth trying again.

Many people would disagree with that, its now one of the best selling beers that Dunnes sell. Think it's average myself.

In Tesco the other day and these are about 1.45 now. Are they reading these threads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

In Tesco the other day and these are about 1.45 now. Are they reading these threads. :)

Gotta claw back them wage cuts somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Is Vratislav a Tesco brand then? Should have occurred to me - I've never seen it anywhere else, and they sell it in large quantities. Whatever, it is very drinkable and I always get a few when I'm in there.

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Is Vratislav a Tesco brand then? Should have occurred to me - I've never seen it anywhere else, and they sell it in large quantities. Whatever, it is very drinkable and I always get a few when I'm in there.

Haven't a clue actually. Like you, I only see it there and it's cheap so I always assumed they did it. Definitely a good fallback beer for barbecues and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭liamtimdusty

+1 on the Vratislavs - Actually quite tasty regardless of the price!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bcklschaps wrote: »

Well, if flavour in beer is an issue for you, Budweiser is exactly the right thing. It's beer that's been drank already. ;)

Myself, Perlenbacher (the bottle 6 pack or XXL 8 pack) is my poison of choice. One poster mentions it gives you a headache, I haven't noticed. Seems ok to me and tastes ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Grafters Kolsch at 2 euro a bottle is one of my favs at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

5% grolsch is 24x500ml for €26 in tesco. It was €24 for the same in the past few months too. I found it grand and would think most would tolerate it.

Carlsberg & bud are the same price too, but I would definitely take the grolsch over both of those.

Advertisement