Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Destiny Lore/Story elements - Take the Time.

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,149 ✭✭✭✭

So, we all know how irritating (and then funny) how Destiny was very in your face about not telling you the story of the game - from the speaker telling you how he COULD tell you stories, but didn't want to - and The Stranger (What in the name of feck has she been up to since giving us her gun...) telling us she didn't have time to explain...

But... there is some very good story in Destiny, better given in The Taken King, but also the also some of the stuff in The Book of Sorrow is amazing (the bits i've read on Reddit anyway).

You have any favourite bits of lore from Destiny, or bits to discuss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I liked the praedyth storyline and going back into the vault of glass looking for the ghosts. There was a good thread on reddit about the "no time to explain" which came first, the strangers rifle or NTTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,149 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

syboit wrote: »
    I liked the praedyth storyline and going back into the vault of glass looking for the ghosts. There was a good thread on reddit about the "no time to explain" which came first, the strangers rifle or NTTE.

Loved that mission/quest line in general - some wonderful story elements.

Also loved going back into the Vault, and the Vex opening the door for you was a great touch, imo. B*'d of a fight in the templars well though!

Hearing from Praedyth, and the Vanguard reaction to his existence being confirmed was great.

Also, I love the story and history behind the last word and thorn. So many great elements. Would be amazing if Bungie was to release official books and comics based on the lore in the game - some of the fan made stuff is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I quite like the new cabal stuff from TTK, there isn't much but there is enough to make me think that IF they have another biggish DLC it will be cabal based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I quite like the new cabal stuff from TTK, there isn't much but there is enough to make me think that IF they have another biggish DLC it will be cabal based.

The whole "message to the Cabal Leader" sets a Cabal Raid up nicely.

So far, Raid wise, we've had:
    Vex - Vault of Glass
    Hive - Crota's End
    Hive/Taken - Kings Fall
    Fallen - POE 35 - Skolas' Revenge (Debatable as to whether this constitutes a "Raid", but it was End Game that broke many a Guardians heart)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Daraa

I actually listen to a podcast about Destiny Lore. Now it is all their interpretation of whats going on but its a pretty decent listen.

• Advertisement

Daraa wrote: »
    I actually listen to a podcast about Destiny Lore. Now it is all their interpretation of whats going on but its a pretty decent listen.

When you start to look into the story that has been created - its amazing how little is directly referenced within the game; or is even available within the game. the information is all there, just need a better way of presenting it to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

syboit wrote: »

That mission and the quests for new subclasses were set ups by the Vex.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kevind1

I listen to a podcast Ghost Stories, a Destiny podcast, check it out good for the commute to/from work, they work through the grimoire cards and tie different bits of the story together. Recent one on the Exo Stranger was v interesting.

See Daraa referenced same podcast above.

Saw this on Reddit today:

http://destiny-grimoire.info/#Card-700620
    Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3
    5 Squad [HEAVY INF]
    TASK:
    - defend Psion intelligence ops 071x146
    OUTCOME:
    - overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.
    - See more at: http://destiny-grimoire.info/#Card-700620

Love it.

Though it does show that fighting vs a Guardian is terrifying and totally unfair.

Love the stuff in that card though, pointing at 3 man fireteams and teabagging.

Saw this on Reddit today:

http://destiny-grimoire.info/#Card-700620
    Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3
    5 Squad [HEAVY INF]
    TASK:
    - defend Psion intelligence ops 071x146
    OUTCOME:
    - overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.
    - See more at: http://destiny-grimoire.info/#Card-700620

Love it.

Though it does show that fighting vs a Guardian is terrifying and totally unfair.

Love the stuff in that card though, pointing at 3 man fireteams and teabagging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Just read through the Cabal cards. We need a Cabal expansion. We need a Cabal Raid.
    II: Analysis

This is an archetypical engagement. It represents many hundreds of failed operations.

Guardian activity in the Freehold AO has exploded across recent campaign seasons. Tactical attrition exceeds both frictional projections and our ability to regenerate losses. New tactics are necessary.

The primary threat is the Guardians’ individual counter-attrition capability.

Guardians can be rebuilt after even total disintegrative trauma. This capability is provided by a small autonomous drone unit called a Dead Person [trans. unclear]. The Dead Person conceals itself during combat. It is not a viable target for direct fire. Saturation attack by artillery/heavy air/orbital fire may have good effect (although Guardians transmat frequently and refuse to assemble into large formations).

Solitary Dead Persons have been observed in all areas of operation. The relationship between solitary and paired Dead Persons remains unclear.

Psion analysis indicates that specific areas are inimicable to Guardian counter-attritional reconstruction. Phobos Command has initiated an orbital survey. BL I/2 will attack the Vex gate artifact in Meridian Bay to secure possible related intelligence.

Flayer analysis suggests that the Hive have developed unconventional counter-Dead Person capability. The capture of Hive leadership might yield vital strategic intelligence, including weapons or tactics capable of defeating Guardians permanently.

We advance that the Hive fleet group near Saturn presents a strong target.

For the Primus,
    Our highest duty done,
    Unflinchingly loyal,
    Skyburner V/A/SI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Can someone explain to me the relationship between the Taken and the Hive?? I thought the Hive were loyal to Crota, and Taken to Oryx? With Crota gone, did the Hive look to Oryx as their new leader? Have I not seen them fighting each other on the Dreadnaught? Why use Hive and Taken Hive in the final battle?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

PetKing wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the relationship between the Taken and the Hive?? I thought the Hive were loyal to Crota, and Taken to Oryx? With Crota gone, did the Hive look to Oryx as their new leader? Have I not seen them fighting each other on the Dreadnaught? Why use Hive and Taken Hive in the final battle?

I always thought Oryx was a Hive. He was the king of the Hive, there are other hive who are not loyal to Oryx, like the Darkblade - who Oryx keeps in the basement of the Dreadnaught.
    Any taken hive are those who were not loyal to Oryx. Thats my 2c - I'm as confused as you...

But its a great question, does anyone know where the best place to read the Destiny lore is?
    I keep hearing great things about the Destiny lore, are the Grimore cards the only place to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

But its a great question, does anyone know where the best place to read the Destiny lore is? I keep hearing great things about the Destiny lore, are the Grimore cards the only place to look?

To the Grimoirium!!!

PetKing wrote: »

Oryx is the big boss of the Hive. Crota, his son, was effectively a general for Oryx.
    Oryx is also the boss of the Taken, having been given the power to "Take", by the Darkness.
    I think similarly to Chimp, that the Taken Hive are those that acted the bollocks, so instead of killing them, Oryx has complete dominion over them in taking them.

Why use both Taken Hive and Hive in battle?
    aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Advertisement