Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teaching English as a foreign language in NZ

Options
  • 17-01-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you could make a living doing this anywhere in New Zealand?

I have an Arts Degree from UCD with a Major in English. However, I have not done any specific ''teacher training''. I understand I'd probably have to do one of those CELTA or TEFL courses for at least 4 weeks before I could teach.

I had a friend in Australia who was a Law graduate with no teaching experience but then did her CELTA course and she taught English to foreign students in universities in Melbourne and she was making crazy money, like $70 per lecture or more.

I'm planning to go to New Zealand in the coming weeks on a WHV but haven't yet decided what job I'll be looking for over there or what city to settle down in.

I'd like to give the teaching a shot and just wanted to see if anyone could advise me on whether it's worthwhile in New Zealand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Most* of Auckland are from China these days so probably a reasonable demand there

*may contain slight exaggeration but 40% born overseas.
    http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11575305

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelly1992

Have you had any luck finding teaching work of this sort in NZ? I'm thinking of doing something similar in the coming months. Any advice? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi, I taught English as a second language in New Zealand for about 18 months, at a polytech (kind of like an IT institute in Ireland, I guess would be the equivalent). Yes, you'd definitely need a CELTA qualification, the other teachers I worked with were quite experienced.
    Money was ok, nothing to write home about. Cost of living in nz is insane, so be prepared for that. I was in Wellington.

Advertisement