Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seeing Christmas Out Of Season 2016

• 10-01-2016 4:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We are bringing back an old Christmas Boards tradition, the "Seeing Christmas Out of Season Thread" we had a thread for 2012 & 2013. The 2014 over time mutated to what is now the Selection Box and over time that has turned into a chat about anything thread.

So we're bring back this thread and going to keep the Selection Box thread as a chat thread where we can keep in touch with one another and how we are keeping/feeling.

This thread can be used for when you have seen something that reminds you of Christmas, seen some decorations for sale in a shop, heard someone whistling a Christmas tune, seen someone with their tree still up?

Maybe you've visited an all-year-round Christmas shop, or when you've watched a Christmas film (or even better when RTE puts on a Christmas film in the middle of Summer!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Decided to ad my Christmas countdowner on here.
    This might be a long post but I've a countdown for Christmas 2016. I generally pick events during the year. Some I'll be looking forward to others I won't. You can add in tour own Birthday's, holiday, etc.(some dates are approx)
    Late Late Show returns after Christmas break.
    Argos Spring/Summer catalogue.
    Spring.
    Six Nations.
    Super Bowl.
    Pancake Tuesday.
    Ash Wednesday. (Lent begins)
    St Valentine's day.
    Eurovision song picked.
    General Election.
    Leap year.
    Mothers day.
    Cheltenham.
    St Patricks day.
    Holy Thursday.
    Good Friday.
    Summer Time begins.
    Easter Sunday.
    (Bank Holiday weekend)Easter Rising.
    Britain's got talent auditions.
    Grand National.
    Start of Summer
    May Bank Holiday.
    Eurovision Week.
    Main GAA season starts.
    FA cup final.
    Britain's got talent final week.
    June Bank holiday.
    Euros 2016.Fathers Day.
    Longest day of the year.
    Wimbledon.
    Schools are closed for holidays.
    Tour De France.
    Argos Autumn/Winter Catalogue.
    Autumn.
    August Bank holiday.
    Summer Olympics.
    Rose of Tralee.
    Brown Thomas Christmas Shop.
    Schools return.
    X factor starts (maybe)September.
    Late late show starts.
    Tins of sweets out.
    All Ireland football and hurling finals.
    100 days to go.
    Ploughing championships.
    Smyths Catalogue.
    October(you can kind of mention Christmas)
    Boots catalogue.
    Shops begin to get busy and stocked up.
    Clocks go back.
    Christmas cake & pudding baking.
    Halloween.
    November.
    You can talk about ChristmasIt's Winter.
    Christmas ads begin.
    The John lewis ad.
    Ice skating and shopping centres and towns begin to light up.
    Santa grottos start to open.
    Late Late Toy Show.
    Advent.
    Decorations start to go up.
    December 1st.
    Advent calendars.
    Shops being to get stocked up with fresh Christmas stock.(party food, etc)
    Late night opening.
    Christmas cards begin to arrive.
    Christmas party season.
    Christmas week.
    Food preparation.
    Several grocery Shopping trips.
    Holidays.
    Presents wrapped.
    Turkey and ham bought.
    Christmas Eve.
    Last minute shopping and preparations.
    Visit friends/family with presents.
    Mass.
    Visit local pub.
    Go home and relax.
    It's Christmas day 2016.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone still have their decorations up or a neighbour with them still up?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I spotted an apartment with their tree still up and lights on last night on the way home. We still have the tree up in the office but the lights haven't been on since we came back. It's all coming down this afternoon, a tree without lights is just a bit sad looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loughc wrote: »
    Anyone still have their decorations up or a neighbour with them still up?

We've still the living room tree and decorations up. Just took down the cards. We took down the window and out side lights and the hall tree\decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Hi Christmas People!
    It's been a while since I posted. Lovely to see this thread. Think it was me who set the original up a few moons ago!
    Well yesterday I was at an event in a castle and they still had all their Christmas trees up! It was quite magical after sunset!
    And then last night Elf was on one of the movie channels!
    I still have my decorations up. I didn't put up much this year but the lights were still on in the window the other night.
    I'd like to think it made some people smile as they drove/walked past. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi Christmas People!
    It's been a while since I posted. Lovely to see this thread. Think it was me who set the original up a few moons ago!
    Well yesterday I was at an event in a castle and they still had all their Christmas trees up! It was quite magical after sunset!
    And then last night Elf was on one of the movie channels!
    I still have my decorations up. I didn't put up much this year but the lights were still on in the window the other night.
    I'd like to think it made some people smile as they drove/walked past. :)

Hey Milli Milli!! :D

It was indeed you who set up the thread back in 2012. I even used some of your opening post in my opening post as a homage\throwback to the original thread.

If I had seen the lights in the window of your house I would have seen beaming from ear to ear. I love seeing Christmas lights on display especially out of season!

Loughc wrote: »
    Hey Milli Milli!! :D

It was indeed you who set up the thread back in 2012. I even used some of your opening post in my opening post as a homage\throwback to the original thread.

If I had seen the lights in the window of your house I would have seen beaming from ear to ear. I love seeing Christmas lights on display especially out of season!

Thanks LoughC! That's very sweet!
    Yes I hoped some people smiled!

I have an internal window between my living room & kitchen and when I moved in in 2014 I put lights around it for Christmas 2014. I decided to leave them up all year as it's very cosy.
    So they are staying up again this year. I'm also going to leave up some wooden stars as they're not too Christmassy.

I put up star lights in my bedroom for Christmas and I'm going to design something so I can leave them up - something like a grown-up canopy over my bed. Don't want to make it like a teenagers room!

I'm also going to leave up some wooden stars as they're not too Christmassy.

I put up star lights in my bedroom for Christmas and I'm going to design something so I can leave them up - something like a grown-up canopy over my bed. Don't want to make it like a teenagers room!

I left up a set of wooden stars in my sitting room, ah thought they're lost without the other 4 sets of lights I had on display.

I just seen a house on the way home from work and their Christmas tree was still up in the window. It just wasn't lit up. First thoughts was I wonder was that someone from boards. Haha.

Went for a walk this evening I saw 2 Christmas wreaths still on doors, a Christmas tree still in the window and lights on outside and inside another house.

My neighbors are more festive than I give them credit for haha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I was a visitor in a business today and they still have their tree up and lit:) then I went in to centra and they are still selling their Cadbury's Santa shaped chocolate bars (full price I may add)

Most Tesco are now selling off Christmas stock in their seasonal aisle. Some good bargains and cheap chocolate to be found there.

Do you know that ChristmasFM are still playing Christmas songs? :)

Christmas 2015 was the first time I listened to it as their signal doesn't cover my area, so I downloaded the app. Before the actual Christmas season they just played songs, then when Christmas season started they had DJs.
    No offence to the DJs but I preferred it beforehand when it was uninterrupted Christmas music.

So what are you waiting for? I'm listening to it as we speak!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

One of the houses in my estate still has all their lights on and wreath up on the door. It's making me miss mine now especially when it's so cold out :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Passed a house on the way home from work that still has it's tree up, and lighting, in the window. :)

Do you know that ChristmasFM are still playing Christmas songs?
    Of course we know that!!! :cool: :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

S and I were having a roller disco in the kitchen before bed when that Play That Sax song from the Asda Christmas ad came on. I didn't even like it on the Asda ad but it still made me feel all Christmassy and I was doing some mad skate dancing around the kitchen.

iguana wrote: »
    S and I were having a roller disco in the kitchen before bed when that Play That Sax song from the Asda Christmas ad came on. I didn't even like it on the Asda ad but it still made me feel all Christmassy and I was doing some mad skate dancing around the kitchen.

That song is the soundtrack to Christmas 2015 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Passed a Yankee shop that still has a Merry Christmas sign in the window.

We broke open a last box of m and s mince pies last night:)

Tesco are selling gorgeous baubles 4 pack for 75cent.

Heatons are selling off all their Christmas stock too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Home Alone is on E4 and E4+1 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Our next door neighbours still have their wreath on the door & Christmas tree, decorations & all still up!

denis160 wrote: »
    Our next door neighbours still have their wreath on the door & Christmas tree, decorations & all still up!

Our tree is still up but the blind is down :)

I'm having a turkey and ham dinner. Sooooo Christmasssy!!

Almost the same. Had a ham dinner today , roast potatoes, veg , the lot. :) and I have to say it tasted better this time round :)!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I had dinner at my mam's this weekend. Yesterday's dessert was leftover Christmas pudding and she made mince pies for dessert today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Most of our decorations got put away last night the house looks bare, needs a good clean but that will have to wait till I'm back on my feet, the longest ever our decorations have been up,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Went to see Joy last night and a lot of the movie is set at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Passed by apartments near where i live and on the top floor i saw a lit Christmas tree in the window, will keep an eye out for it now and see how long it is left up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

iguana wrote: »
    Went to see Joy last night and a lot of the movie is set at Christmas.

I thought that from the ads I seen, then I thought maybe it's just wishful thinking, thanks for letting us know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement