Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Shepherd's Crown -The final Discworld novel

Options
  • 11-09-2015 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭

So I noticed this on the bestsellers list at the weekend...hadnt heard anything about it coming out. Has anybody read it? How does it compare with other discworld novels (other than it being Terry's final book...why should I buy it?)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

is it a discworld book? i thought it was one of those young adult tiffany whatserface books

-edit

and after some googling it appears the tiffany aching books are actually in the discworld series after all. well blow me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Part of the Discworld series, nominally a younger audience book but suitable for adults of all ages also.

I'm torn at the moment, I have it waiting on my kindle to read but at the same time, once it's finished that's the end. For now at least there's one more book to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

strelok wrote: »
    is it a discworld book? i thought it was one of those young adult tiffany whatserface books

-edit

and after some googling it appears the tiffany aching books are actually in the discworld series after all. well blow me down.

I'm presuming you haven't read any of them, given the prominence of Granny Weatherwax in the stories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

seagull wrote: »
    I'm presuming you haven't read any of them, given the prominence of Granny Weatherwax in the stories.

no, i started to enjoy the discworld books less and less around the time achings first story was released so I kinda figured if I wasn't really feeling the "proper" discworld, the teen stories would leave me cold too (although as I said I didn't even know they were proper discworld books)

i just dug out my nook e-reader so I'm gona go through all the books one by one over the next while, I'll include the TA books in the run this time around although I might skip snuff. that was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Finally gave in and read this, it was actually starting to impact on my reading of other books as I kept putting reading of anything off.

Without wanting to spoil anything it was a pretty good (if very emotional) start, a bit of a meandering middle and a nice ending. Overall it probably serves as a fitting finale to the Discworld and I would say that it's probably one of the better Discworld books from the last ten or so (But then I do have a soft spot for Nanny Ogg's cooking [some times I think it also has an inappropriately soft spot for me as well...]).
    That chapter near the beginning really got to me, I realised pretty early on what was coming and I kinda pretended to everyone else I was just suffering from allergies but really I was crying :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

I haven't read any Aching books, but given that there won't be any more discworld it's probably a good time to start...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I haven't read any Aching books, but given that there won't be any more discworld it's probably a good time to start...

I quite liked them as a sort of discworld light. The last one, a hat full of sky, is pretty good but was supposed to be the last TA book.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Started this over the weekend. Also had a terrible allergic reaction to something in the air ;)

So very bitter sweet. I can't put it down but I don't want it to ever end.

Advertisement