Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - The Bonus Round

Options
  • 21-12-2015 4:34pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Firstly thanks to everyone who's participated in 2015's Know Your Elves we really had a great reponse this year and some great questions.

If you'd like to participate in 2016 feel free to put your name down in the sticky thread (link below) and the more names we get the earlier we can kick off,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057276709&page=7

So here we are it's Christmas week, can you believe it? The moment we've been waiting for, for the past 50 weeks in upon us. I hope everyone has a great week.

So as there is usually a drop off in questions the Know Your Elves on Christmas week as everyone is so busy rather than having the focus on one person, the floor is open to all.

The format is simple, you ask a question, anyone is free to answer that question and who ever does asks the next question, and so on. There's no time limit on this thread so we'll keep it going until it loses steam.

I'll kick off... Christmas Cracker Paper Hats, wear them during the dinner, yay or nay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Great idea!
    Loughc wrote: »
    I'll kick off... Christmas Cracker Paper Hats, wear them during the dinner, yay or nay?
    Yes! Until they start to slip down around my head. Then mine has to come off.

Best kind of stuffing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Paper hats should be compulsory around the Christmas table!

It's a rare treat for me to have stuffing because usually it has pork in it. I'm not too fussed on recipe, but it has to be dry, preferably a bit crunchy. Nothing worse than soggy stuffing.

When you were a kid, did your Santa gifts come wrapped, in a stocking, already made up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Whispered wrote: »

When you were a kid, did your Santa gifts come wrapped, in a stocking, already made up?

Our gifts were always very badly "wrapped" in bin liners! Santa has always hated wrapping in our house :pac: Not that we could have cared less. My mother especially loves Christmas, there was always lots of excitement in the air!

Ideal Christmas day: chaotic but surrounded by loved ones or a quiet, relaxed day in the PJs?

We're doing both: Family Christmas dinner, another family Post-Christmas dinner, then leaving the baby with his adoring grandparents for a night away in a hotel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Christmas cracker hats are a must! (Although they rarely fit my big head!)

My dad always makes sausage meat stuffing and it's fab!

Initially, I used to receive unwrapped gifts from Santa, but one year it occurred to me to ask Santa to wrap them... I'm sure he was thrilled with the extra work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Ideal Christmas day: chaotic but surrounded by loved one

Christmas Cracker Paper Hats: Wear them during dinner

What music do you listen to when preparing dinner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

amen wrote: »

What music do you listen to when preparing dinner?

Mam usually has Christmas FM on in the kitchen and a Christmas CD in the sitting-room.

I will start the day with Lynched's 'Cold Old Fire' which I am totally addicted to then just listen to whatever I happen to hear after that!

Are you doing anything different for dinner this year? Ever had any disasters food-wise?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mud wrote: »
    Are you doing anything different for dinner this year? Ever had any disasters food-wise?

Had your standard Christmas dinner as always and thanfully no food disasters any year.

What Christmas Song could you listen to all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What Christmas Song could you listen to all year round?

Pretty much all of them, but I'm a big soft spot for Santa Baby by Eartha Kitt and River by Sarah McLachlan. To be fair I don't know if that's a "Christmas" song, but it feels like it...

Christmas Eve vs Christmas Day vs St. Stephens Day vs New Years.

Pick your favourite. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Christmas Eve vs Christmas Day vs St. Stephens Day vs New Years.

Pick your favourite. :)

Oh goodness that's a difficult question! I'm torn between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... I'm going to go with Christmas Eve because we have a load of traditions such as going out for a family breakfast, having a roast dinner (usually ham) in the evening etc... And then there's still Christmas Day to look forward to when you're going to bed!

Have you bought anything for next Christmas (such as wrapping paper, crackers etc) in the sales?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Scarinae wrote: »
    Have you bought anything for next Christmas (such as wrapping paper, crackers etc) in the sales?

I bought wrapping paper and Christmas scent Yankee candles in the sales for next year.

What is your favourite Christmas cracker joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I bought wrapping paper and Christmas scent Yankee candles in the sales for next year.

What is your favourite Christmas cracker joke?

Why are mountains so funny?

Because they're hill areas!

What's YOUR favourite cracker joke?

mud wrote: »
    What's YOUR favourite cracker joke?

What did the stamp say to the Christmas card?
    Stick with me and we'll go places!

Favourite colour used when decorating for Christmas?

Favourite colour used when decorating for Christmas?

I'm a big fan of silver! Usually purple is my favourite colour but I don't think it's particularly Christmassy (although I do have purple tinsel for my desk in work)

Do you use ribbons when you wrap presents, or just wrapping paper by itself?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Do you use ribbons when you wrap presents, or just wrapping paper by itself?

I just use plain old wrapping paper maybe the odd sticky on bow but nothing too fancy. My wrapping skills are improving each year so I might get adventurous this year.

What's your favourite month outside of the BER months and why?

What's your favourite month outside of the BER months and why?

I'd say August for a few reasons - it's usually still nice summer weather but starting to turn into autumn (I love the autumn months), and it's also my birthday month!

Do you write thank you letters/cards after Christmas?

Advertisement