Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you say "I love you" to someone and they don't say it back :(

Options
  • 27-11-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I've been with my boyfriend for 6 months. I said it for the first time this morning as I dropped him to the train station. It's how I feel and I don't regret saying it. But he didn't say it back :( he just said my name and let it hang in the air, like he wanted to say something but didn't know what. Just not I love you too.

I'm not massively freaking out, although I'm hurt. I just want reassurance that he at least sees himself getting there. A friend of mine is with a guy 4 years who's never told her he loves her, never expresses emotion and it just sounds horrible. I don't want that type of relationship.

However, he's loving in his actions to me and that does help. He's lovely and we get on great and have similar attitudes to life. He's also really laid back which counteracts my irritable ways sometimes :) But I know myself, I need verbal communication too.

What's the protocol in this situation?? The ball's very much in his court now. I'm also moving very VERY far away on Monday for 6-9 months and we've agreed to do long distance, so I guess that whole thing has expedited my proclamation to him and I just want to know he's of a similar mindset.

Doesn't feel great right now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

if it was as you dropped him to the train station, sounds like you probably caught him completely on the hop....so I really wouldnt worry.

in fact I would see it as a positive that he didnt just blurt it back out as a standard response, especially as he had no time to think.

Id do nothing, like you say the ball is in his court. If you wanted to push it maybe in a few days at a better time, like in a quiet moment when you are together, you could reiterate it if you liked....you could say you meant what you said at the train station that morning or sth

But considering he only had a few seconds to think this morning, I really wouldnt worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Maybe he has never had it said to him before.

Maybe it came as a surprise at that time of the morning - as he was on his daily commute thinking about work, the weekend, the breakfast he just had........

Maybe it doesn't come easy for him to express his feelings in words - kind of like most guys.

So maybe when you see him next time just say "so you know the other morning...... "

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a big admission to make to another person and should not be done lightly. You are leaving behind the dating as such and entering a serious relationship. You were ready to make that proclamation (although your timing wasn't great) whereas he wasn't. But that is ok and very normal as one of you has to be the first to say it. I also think it is positive that he didn't blurt out an auto response as now you know when you hear the words they will be true (rather than a panic reaction). Don't mention it again as I think that will start mounting pressure on him which you don't want. Give him time.
    zoobizoo wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't come easy for him to express his feelings in words - kind of like most guys.

generalise much?? Sexist nonsense

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Give him time to let it sink in. You probably caught him off guard this morning and chances are you can have a proper chat later - maybe tell him you've been thinking about the move and your relationship and just wanted to say it. Actions speak louder than words so I'd go with that for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Actions speak louder than words,but sometimes it's nice to have words mixed with action....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I said it back to my now husband two weeks later....via text! Poor bloke!!!

I was freaked out by it but did love him before he even said it

I don't know the guy, but some people are just private with those kind of emotions, while annoying there is nothing wrong with it. Saying it in a train station, with other people around, might have just shocked him and he wasn't sure how to react. Does he express his love in other ways? What's the relationship like in general - is he what you want in every other way? If the answer to those are in the positive, I wouldn't worry if he's not as vocal about it as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He was caught on the hop. It's not something you blurt out because it has been said to you and less so at a train station. If everything else in your relationship suggests he's in 'I love you' territory then don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

In my opinion if a sentence starts with a name its usually when you are in some trouble. To me it doesn't sound like he's ready for that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

When my boyfriend told me he loved me, I said "that's lovely" (patronizing, wha :pac:), kissed him and shut the door on him. It took me a few weeks after that to get the words out.

Not because I didn't feel the same. I'd loved him for months. But it was a scary word for me at that point, one that had been shoved in my face insincerely and manipulatively in other relationships and one that I hadn't become accustomed to saying in my life because I always felt it should really mean something. It shouldn't be thrown about.

That and it was 7am and he was heading out the door to work while I was groggily heading back to bed. I didn't want to spit the word back at him without thinking, or in a panic, and it wasn't the right moment for me.

I think it's a good sign that your fella didn't do that either. It probably means a lot to him too, and he wants to say it from the heart, when he's not rushing away from you, or he wants to make sure you know it's true and are not just parroting it back at him out of pressure, or any number of reasons.

You've said it now, and he knows how you feel, and you should step back and let things be. It's hard to be vulnerable, especially when you're rushing about surrounding by crowds of people in a train station. If he feels the same, he won't leave you in any doubt. But you have to let him express it in his own time and in his own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

OP i remember when my ex i told me the same but she caught me of guard and i was tongued tied, i wasn't expecting in the slightest , she was upset but i knew i felt the same. The following week i couldn't wait to see her and tell her ( i still remember the day well ) My point is, i am sure he will let you know in time, it sounds like you caught him off guard dropping him to the train stations and wasn't expecting it. I bet he was walking on air after :).

I wouldn't worry about it OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

2 ways of looking at it op:

1) you tell the person cause you want them to know you love them.

2) you tell them in the hopes of hearing it back

I hope its the first. Actions always speak louder then words. If he displays his love for you that way then lucky you. Seen people treat their o/h like crap and then tell them they love them when its obvious they couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

He didn't say it back to you? I'd be considering whether or not he is serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

He didn't say it back to you? I'd be considering whether or not he is serious

Nah, its not some thing to panic about. I made a big romantic declaration on a trip abroad, i though it could be seen a mile off, but I didnt get any reply back at first. I just held tough, a few hours later i was asked how much did I love her before getting the declaration later.

Id be worried if i got a hastey paniced response rather than that person going away and really thinking it through.

To be fair, an early morning ambush at the train station is going to catch you unprepared

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TracyFlick

racso1975 wrote: »
    2 ways of looking at it op:

1) you tell the person cause you want them to know you love them.

2) you tell them in the hopes of hearing it back

OP here. Maybe 80% the first one, 20% the second one. :p I did say it to him on the hop like that because I know him well enough by now to know it was about 50/50 as to whether he'd say it back. And I wanted to be able to flee! Just so we could both then have time to have it sink in and not have to awkwardly sit through a movie or whatever. And yeah, someone has to say it first!

Anyway after I said it yesterday, he started sending me normal small talk whatsapps about 2 hours later, which irritated me. I stopped replying after a while as I just wanted a day of space, not because I was annoyed at him, and was having farewell drinks with other friends.

By the end of the day however, through whatsapp and a phone call, he said he's really happy with how things are going, he wants us to be together, he's not sorry I said it. He is scared about my move on Monday and doesn't feel in a position to say it yet, but doesn't want to just chicken out and not try.

That's fair enough I suppose. Maybe subconsciously I wanted him to tell me he'll wait for as long as it takes while I'm away! Which is a bit unfair. I do love him though, sometimes you just have to take a risk in life, with this work opportunity in Asia. If we're strong enough, we'll make it work. :)

Thanks for all the advice, really helps. Calmness is key!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Op were you discussing having said it via whatsapp? Why? You are going away for a long time and he's already said ye wild do long distance. Are you insecure over that?

Unfortunately sometimes things are on messages and whatsapp, we both had other plans yesterday so meeting wasn't an option.

Now he's not bothered coming over today, says he has a cold. Is it too much to expect my boyfriend who I've just laid my heart out for to want to spend my last weekend here with me. :( An afternoon of packing alone for me.

I just feel he is fairly unwilling to do things outside his own little routine. I don't want to send passive aggressive texts either, just not sure I'm bothered with this.

Feeling sad :(

TracyFlick wrote: »
    Anyway after I said it yesterday, he started sending me normal small talk whatsapps about 2 hours later, which irritated me. I stopped replying after a while as I just wanted a day of space, not because I was annoyed at him, and was having farewell drinks with other friends.

Did you tell him that you were going to be busy or did you stop texting him altogether? Why did it annoy you that he was talking to you normally?
    Unfortunately sometimes things are on messages and whatsapp, we both had other plans yesterday so meeting wasn't an option.

Now he's not bothered coming over today, says he has a cold. Is it too much to expect my boyfriend who I've just laid my heart out for to want to spend my last weekend here with me. :( An afternoon of packing alone for me.

I just feel he is fairly unwilling to do things outside his own little routine. I don't want to send passive aggressive texts either, just not sure I'm bothered with this.

Feeling sad :(

Could he actually have a cold, though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I think it's time to take a step back op. Just prepare for your trip and see what happens when you get back. Tbh you seem to be at different stages. It seems like that declaration was made to ensure his commitment etc when you were away. He's not at that place right now probably due to the fact that you are going away.

He does have a cold, woop di doo. A fairly weak reason for not spending my 2nd last day here with me, IMO. A cold, not ebola. I would 1000% go to see him if I had a cold.

I was annoyed by him sending normal messages because it was just ignoring the elephant in the room of what I had just said to him. In his mind he was only trying to be nice to me though, and I accept that.

You're right, for whatever reason he's not in the same place as me with regard to what we both expect from the relationship going forward. And that's disappointing.

Sometimes I think a clean break would be best but I want to at least try to make this work while I'm away.

• Advertisement

He does have a cold, woop di doo. A fairly weak reason for not spending my 2nd last day here with me, IMO. A cold, not ebola. I would 1000% go to see him if I had a cold.

I was annoyed by him sending normal messages because it was just ignoring the elephant in the room of what I had just said to him. In his mind he was only trying to be nice to me though, and I accept that.

You're right, for whatever reason he's not in the same place as me with regard to what we both expect from the relationship going forward. And that's disappointing.

Sometimes I think a clean break would be best but I want to at least try to make this work while I'm away.

Different people react differently when sick and you don't exactly know whether he's actually downplaying just how ill he might be.

Regarding the getting annoyed for sending normal messages.. it might be just me, but that seems a tiny bit childish. Did you try bringing it up yourself or did you wait for him to make the first move? If you wanted the "elephant in the room" addressed, why didn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I think you need to step back here.

You seem to expect that because you said I love you that you are "entitled" to either have him say it back or move your relationship to some new level you imagine it is now on.

It has moved to a new level for you. It may not have for him. Also, you are moving to Asia so it seems that you are trying to accelerate the relationship to strengthen it over distance.

If I was seeing someone for six months and they were moving to Asia I wouldnt be seeking to accelerate a relationship. I would most likely be seeking to end it pending their return.

You are starting to become quite agro to your bf over this and you need to chill and enjoy each others company instead of putting this additional pressure on an already difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Telling your boyfriend you love him then heading away for a couple of months seems very contradictory to me. It would seem you almost wanted to him to say I love you back to help you get through the separation. It certainly wasnt the best situation or circumstances for such an important thing to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

It's coming across that you are trying to tie him down while you do a long distance relationship. Maybe he just wants casual sex at the moment and is not interested in LDR. As you said he doesn't want to spend your last weekend together. Was he in work yesterday? Was his cold enough to stop him from working? Was he just looking for something casual or serious? I'd ask him, you need to know as LDR are very costly and you are better having a clean break - you might meet someone away who does love you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Just as an aside, I've just gotten over a really awful cold. I had to go to work for a few of the days while ill and yeah I was "well enough to work" but not a hope in hell would I be doing anything after work. My child was fed and we both went straight to bed. Sometimes you have no choice but to go to work and you have to tough it out but otherwise you're in no humour to see people (even loved ones who you want to see) or do anything other than lay in bed and wallow.
    So his cold might seem trivial or a lame excuse but having just gotten over a really bad one I wouldn't be too quick to assume that it's just an excuse or its indicative of his feelings/intentions towards you or the relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Ah Op! It's not that he's not bothered, he's sick. And you did say in your original post:
    However, he's loving in his actions to me and that does help.

That's what really counts. If he's generally a stand up guy and is loving towards you, then why assume he's simply "not bothered"? That doesn't make sense. He doesn't sound like the kind of guy who would try to make you miserable and upset intentionally.

I understand why you feel the way you do as you put yourself in a vulnerable situation by telling him you love him but I believe you're catastrophising the situation and letting your emotions get out of hand. I've told people in the past I loved them when I didn't (I believed I did) and I've been told the same when they've not meant it. My current boyfriend who I've been with almost 5 years told me after a few months but I didn't respond in kind. Not because I didn't feel I was falling in love with him but because I understood the levity of the word and what it meant and didn't want to bull**** someone I cared about - I wanted to say it with absolute sincerity but in my own time. I also wanted to be absolutely sure he really meant it.

I don't want to patronise you here because I can totally see it from your POV but I think you have to get a grip a little bit here: love isn't about everything on your terms and what you want and can get out of the relationship - it's a two-way relationship and lots of compromise and seeing the other person's POV and letting the small stuff slide and understanding your individuals with your own idea of how things should be is needed to make it work. Things simply won't go the way you want them to a lot of the time - reality is not like that, though I understand why you're in such a rush for him to say it if you're leaving soon. You're the one leaving the country for a fairly long time embarking on this exciting adventure, so you don't know how the guy is feeling. Perhaps he's upset you're going and doesn't want to say such meaningful words when your future is up in the air (LDRs are tough, believe me). Perhaps he feels too upset to see you along with the cold.

You said yourself he's loving towards you, OP and that speaks volumes, believe me. People don't act that way when they don't care about someone. I'd say don't make an issue out of this and try and leave things on a positive note. You don't want to be moving country feeling like crap and resolving this a million miles apart will be even harder. Try and see it from his POV and have a rational, calm talk about it before you go (forget whatsapp - face to face or phone). Good luck, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Some people really struggle with saying that. Some people are really bad at showing any sort of affection in public. Could be he's that sort of person but you know id be more interested that someone actually means that they love you than says they love you. Words are cheap.

So, I just told him I was disappointed we wouldn't see each other, but it was ok.

Then he showed up an hour later unannounced and with a framed photo of us together on a weekend away we had recently :)

Everything is fine, all I wanted was him to show a little effort and he's done that. He said he just needs a nudge sometimes and we had a good talk.

You're all right when you say I'm being a little unreasonable in throwing "I love you" at him like a grenade right before I leave. I don't just expect him to hop to my timeline.

Anyway we've had a good talk and now I'm just going to enjoy our last day together tomorrow and be calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

So, I just told him I was disappointed we wouldn't see each other, but it was ok.

Then he showed up an hour later unannounced and with a framed photo of us together on a weekend away we had recently :)

Everything is fine, all I wanted was him to show a little effort and he's done that. He said he just needs a nudge sometimes and we had a good talk.

You're all right when you say I'm being a little unreasonable in throwing "I love you" at him like a grenade right before I leave. I don't just expect him to hop to my timeline.

Anyway we've had a good talk and now I'm just going to enjoy our last day together tomorrow and be calm.

Great to hear a happy ending. Enjoy tomorrow and best of luck on your trip away

• Advertisement

Update: well, having flown from Dublin to England to see him, and having been in China for a month before that, he dumped me yesterday and I had to drive down to London on New Year's Eve to stay with a friend. Cried the whole way in the car.

It was because I got frustrated with him being unwilling to commit to plans to see each other again. When I gently brought up the issue he said he doesn't love me and never will, and there's no point continuing. Ouch. Just wish I'd been able to spend the evening with my loved ones in Dublin instead of flying over to see him. What a waste. :(

Had to then flee his house once I'd formulated my escape route, with his housemates all there and knowing what was happening as I collected my stuff from the kitchen etc. I'll really miss the cosy group dynamic of his house share too :(

Really need to get my head straight about what to do after China in summer. Thinking it's time to head back to Dublin. So hard to know what's best. But didn't want to settle down in that city anyway. Decisions decisions. I knew my instincts were right :(

Thanks for reading, getting it all down here helps a lot.

Advertisement